MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.8 Alpha on Github
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(2013-01-24, 07:49 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]1.8 is open source now though, so (Not saying I will, haha) what if someone took it upon themselves to make it responsive? Would the changes be accepted through github if someone did?

Darn me and my wrong words.
I'm sure if someone did we'd definitely consider it. It'd probably need to be done probably before the gold release though.
(2013-01-24, 08:04 AM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-24, 07:49 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]1.8 is open source now though, so (Not saying I will, haha) what if someone took it upon themselves to make it responsive? Would the changes be accepted through github if someone did?

I'm sure if someone did we'd definitely consider it. It'd probably need to be done probably before the gold release though.

No, I'm not taking the time to do that. Too much effort for someone who's been rejected as a part of the team already.

But at least one of the staff agree with me.

Hit or miss situation. It's most likely going to require many changes to the structure of the theme (HTML wise), something which we want to minimize as much as possible. After all, it is just a minor upgrade.
very nice postbit classic style...
good job...

thanks... Big Grin
the colorization and over cosmetic look is nicer

but the smaller fonts/print hassles the older aged end users...
especially the white fonts
(almost like looking at something with a glare on it)

the alternating threads colors helps the differiation.

Icons in general need to be seriously looked at.
some them can't even tell what they are.
others, just do not create a image equal to what they are labeled as, so would be better text only
couple thread icons appear to be shared

I like the wider look, but think it'd be way better to to be flexible... and after al, wouldn't that be more in line with a future responsive systems?

would also allow it to sort of auto fill itself in btwn side bared templates.
(2013-01-24, 07:22 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't have thought so. Would've thought it be implemented with the new design that you wanted to push with 1.8

Try implementing that and let me know how it goes. Responsive design is great but it can't accomplish everything. For a forum, the entire interface needs to be reconsidered for a smaller screen. Using MyBB GM with a dedicated mobile theme is a better solution.

There's a reason there are no third party themes that are responsive from desktop to mobile.

Of course, I realize you just like to complain about everything, so this may or may not sink in with you.
* Alex Smith will probably try his hand at making themes with 1.8 now that nothing will be hard coded into the templates to his understanding.
How easy it would be to modify current 1.6x themes? Like are there any larger changes going to be made to templates apart from converting to jquery? Other than that will any "essential" changes be there without incorporating that might break the 1.6x theme?
1.6 themes shouldn't need that much modifying. I'm guessing all the JavaScript function names/usage will be the same, trying to maintain compatibility.
(2013-01-24, 06:23 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Try implementing that and let me know how it goes. Responsive design is great but it can't accomplish everything. For a forum, the entire interface needs to be reconsidered for a smaller screen. Using MyBB GM with a dedicated mobile theme is a better solution.

What exactly can't responsive design accomplish that you require?

(2013-01-24, 06:23 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]There's a reason there are no third party themes that are responsive from desktop to mobile.

If you're talking about MyBB then it's pretty obvious the reason why there are not any responsive designs available is because the codebase sucks (making it almost impossible to do responsive design) and half of the designers within the community are either inexperienced or totally unaware of what responsive design is.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13