MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.8 Alpha on Github
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(2013-01-23, 10:55 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]My suggestion is to clone it, then copy it to your install location while keeping the original location intact.

Hmm, doesn't that mean I'd have to modify code on my installation and then apply that fix to the clone? If so, that'll mean I'm taking code from one environment and applying it to a second env without being able to properly test it on the second env.

(2013-01-23, 10:55 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]Either that, or use a .gitignore file.

Yeh, I got quite far with that solution until it came to the install directory, for some reason it doesn't ignore it. Maybe that's because I had already deleted it..?
Yeah, which is why my preferred method is a .gitignore Wink

It's quite possible. I've always set it up straight after cloning. What's the content of the .gitignore file?
(2013-01-23, 11:03 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, which is why my preferred method is a .gitignore Wink

It's quite possible. I've always set it up straight after cloning. What's the content of the .gitignore file?

This so far:

.DS_Store
.gitignore
install/
inc/config.php

If that looks alright to you then I'll clone again and set that up before running an install.

Do you guys have a published/advised .gitignore somewhere?
Mines is:

.DS_Store
install/
install/*
inc/config.php
inc/settings.php

Not sure if the * does anything but it's usually a regex matching everything in linux. It seems to work for me.

We don't have a published recommended one. I think we probably should though. We should also probably create a .gitattributes to normalise line endings...
(2013-01-23, 10:58 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-23, 09:56 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]The 1.6 branch is more interesting, as that's what will be released soonish (the long awaited 1.6.10). And there are several template changes in 1.6.10 (forumdisplay_threadlist, editpost, newreply, newthread, ...), which may affect themes.

* Leefish boggles in horror

OMG. That is like the templates I edit on EVERY theme.

I like using the gravatar by default.

Wait, so will these template changes be made at a later time in 1.8, or are they already in there (Or will they be made at all)? We're going to begin theme development, so I'm just curious if we should expect lots of template updates in the near future. I think I remember Euan or Tom mentioning that templates were for the most part finished, aside from jQuery?
There could well be template changes in 1.8. Nothing in 1.8 is finalised really.
Fair enough. Toungue

Sooo my default theme doesn't work, and when I open and re-save the stylesheets like Jason suggested, they just disappear. x.x Works fine on my localhost, this is an uploaded version doing it.

Oh, and creating a new stylesheet doesn't allow me to use . in the stylesheet name, which obviously results in the error:

"This stylesheet must end with the correct file extension, for example, globalcss.css"

Gonna install it on Euan's server and see if I have better luck there.

So just curious, where would the correct place to report bugs be? xD
Yay! Time to update all of my boards! Smile
(2013-01-23, 10:53 PM)Nitrus Wrote: [ -> ]For people who are forking the github repo and developers, how would you recommend handling the file changes incurred by installation such that it doesn't become a problem when committing/pulling new code?

I use symlinks - for my plugin git repos anyway. So my test install www/mybb/inc/plugins/google_seo.php is actually a symlink to my git repo projects/mybb/google_seo/inc/plugins/google_seo.php and same for a hundred other files (a script creates the symlinks for me).

That way, any change I make in the git repo is instantly live in the www test install. At the same time, any new files created in the test install, don't end up in the git repo. I can also delete/reset the www install any time without losing the git repo.

It doesn't solve actual file modifications though. So for MyBB, you could symlink everything except inc/config.php inc/settings.php. And you'd have to avoid the use of plugins that modify core files.

Other than that, you simply have to check what you're committing before committing things. Only commit the files you actually wanted to change and look at the diff before that, in case there are unintended changes.

You can clean up your git repo using git stash. It's easy to lose changes you forgot to commit this way though.

For applying the same change to several diverged branches (such as stable and feature seems to be in case of mybb), maybe git cherry(-pick) could do that. If you want to do it manually, I'd actually use two separate clones, one for each branch, rather than switching branches around all the time. ymmv.
I hope everyone is enjoying the new toys. Smile

The GitHub repo contains code that may contain broken features, incomplete work-in-progress commits or sections which may never in fact make it to a release. As is what usually happens in a live development. If you expected a nice zip package that would work out of the box I'm sorry that I gave you that impression - it was never my intention. You will (probably) never get this option either as we intend to constantly working on both dev branches.

I do encourage everyone who is confident enough to get hold of 1.8 to give it a go and give us your feedback in the Suggestions forum. As usual, we're having difficulties making some changes to the community and getting new forums to you on time (a bit out of our control).

Only the master branch should contain code that has been verified by SQA and able to run as expected.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13