MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB 1.8 Alpha on Github
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(2013-01-23, 08:34 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]Because it isn't released? Did you read the blog post? We've opened up the github repository - nothing more.

Yes, I did read the blog post – no need for the condescension. But Alpha means the first phase of testing in software. If it's not ready for that yet, perhaps Alpha is the wrong term to use?
I did not mean to come off as condescending, honestly. For that I apologise. It is about alpha stage. It's been tested fairly thoroughly in it's current stage internally. Obviously we can miss things as we run fairly similar setups within the team. We also can't stress test it for obvious reasons.
Personally I'm very happy to see that MyBB, as an Open Source project, is finally back in the game with the obligatory open code repository to go with it. Congrats for finally taking that step. It might cause more noise than your old SVN repository, simply because GitHub is that much simpler to use, but I hope it'll turn into positive noise in the long run... Wink

@brad-t: In software development, alpha means horribly broken, beta means broken, and stable means probably not broken but we don't really know. Your expectations are too damn high Big Grin

(2013-01-23, 09:11 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]Euan, do you recommend we get our themes going for 1.8 now or later?

Later. Definitely. 1.8 is only in alpha stage, lots of features to go, someone could still decide to add more. It's too early to adapt for anything, if you do it, you may end up having to redo it, depending on what changes will be made over the next months. Wait until it goes into "everything's implemented, just bugfixes left now" phase. It won't be done in a day.

The 1.6 branch is more interesting, as that's what will be released soonish (the long awaited 1.6.10). And there are several template changes in 1.6.10 (forumdisplay_threadlist, editpost, newreply, newthread, ...), which may affect themes.
Yes, there are a fair few changes in 1.6.10. Mostly they are performance enhancements and fixes for PHP 5.4. There are a few minor theme changes but nothing too major. We've changed templates more in minor point releases in the past.
* Eric is excited.

Was disappointed to see those same on/off icons I've grown to hate almost as much as the old ones. I was hoping to see something new, but we don't always get what we want I guess. xD

Anyways great job guys, congrats on getting it out there.
Im going to start a club working for the removal of the time print out in MyBB. Whose with me?!
(2013-01-23, 10:10 PM)Audentio Wrote: [ -> ]Im going to start a club working for the removal of the time print out in MyBB. Whose with me?!

Lightbulb
For people who are forking the github repo and developers, how would you recommend handling the file changes incurred by installation such that it doesn't become a problem when committing/pulling new code?

I'm also having trouble switching branches without things breaking, presumably for the same reason. Any suggestions?
My suggestion is to clone it, then copy it to your install location while keeping the original location intact.

Either that, or use a .gitignore file.
(2013-01-23, 09:56 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]The 1.6 branch is more interesting, as that's what will be released soonish (the long awaited 1.6.10). And there are several template changes in 1.6.10 (forumdisplay_threadlist, editpost, newreply, newthread, ...), which may affect themes.

* Leefish boggles in horror

OMG. That is like the templates I edit on EVERY theme.

I like using the gravatar by default.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13