MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to change hosts successfully
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Sorry i got confused, you need to edit 'If you need help with anything just reply' out of the first post.

thanks

Steve
now posted here http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=28493
I would assume it means if you have any questions about the guide itself, or maybe request that there be slight alterations made to make it more clear, etc. Maybe it needs to be a bit clearer.
OK.

But are you sure you don't want a penguin?
Are you still having problems?
Hi.

I gave up in the end. I think there was a corrupt file somewhere.
I am currently moving my sites to a vds so will start the forum again from scratch with a new look and everything.

Thanks

Steve
What are the consequences of not disabling the board's plugins? I have MyPlaza installed, which would be hell to re-install (In MyPlaza terms, upload all the items again).
I would never recommend anyone deactivating their plugins, and I actually think that is very bad advice to be in this tutorial...but I didn't write it, neither did the staff. So if you want to follow any tutorial written by another member, you take the risk of doing something that might not work or be the best way to go. Though everything else, as far as I've noticed, seems right..I would just omit that step, if I were you.

Just FYI, I've changed host twice in the last 2 months, and I didn't deactivate a single plugin...and they all still work just fine.
judel Wrote:I would never recommend anyone deactivating their plugins, and I actually think that is very bad advice to be in this tutorial...but I didn't write it, neither did the staff. So if you want to follow any tutorial written by another member, you take the risk of doing something that might not work or be the best way to go. Though everything else, as far as I've noticed, seems right..I would just omit that step, if I were you.

Just FYI, I've changed host twice in the last 2 months, and I didn't deactivate a single plugin...and they all still work just fine.
Thanks; great advice!
thanks
I'm having the same trouble as pikaadvance was.

Quote:Step 3

Go into your new hosting control panel and find out how to get into phpmyadmin. Once
you are in phpmyadmin click on your database name on the left. Once you click on the database
you will have access to all of the database tables. Now look at the top on the right for the tab that
says "SQL". Now look down to where it has a browse button and says "Or Location of the text file:".
Click on the browse file to find the Database Backup you downloaded on your old forums.
Then click the "GO" button, once its done it will have inserted all of the database a

This is where I got stuck, I get the following from my host:

Quote:MySQL error: 2005
Unknown MySQL server host 'mysql' (1)
Query:

I don't understand rh1n0 advice:

Quote:You will probably need to go into your Admin CP and change your cookie settings.

Also, Inferno next time you do a guide I would recommend some print screens where possible as that would make it alot easier to understand for most people even if the instructions are straight forward.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14