MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to change hosts successfully
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2011-02-18, 04:59 AM)360Gaming Wrote: [ -> ]this tutorial does not work. I did everything step by step and my forums is gone i have nothing. i invested everything i had on my site and now its completely gone. my users guaranteed will not come back after this.

The methods outlined in this tutorial actually work quite well. Instead of being unreasonable, perhaps wait a little bit and get support for your issue in your thread. I've used essentially this exact method many times, and the only times it fails to work are when a) the end user does something wrong, or b) the database export from the original host is corrupted. Now please, take a moment to collect yourself, and you will be helped.
Hello today I just thought to try out this tutorial. However I seem to be getting an error whenever I import the database. I'm importing the database on a new URL and on a new host.

I get the following error;

There seems to be an error in your SQL query. The MySQL server error output below, if there is any, may also help you in diagnosing the problem

ERROR: Unknown Punctuation String @ 379
STR: </
SQL: 
	<style type="text/css">
		#mybb_error_content { border: 1px solid #B60101; background: #fff; }
		#mybb_error_content h2 { font-size: 12px; padding: 4px; background: #B60101; color: #fff; margin: 0; }
		#mybb_error_error { padding: 6px; }
		#mybb_error_footer { font-size: 11px; border-top: 1px solid #ccc; padding-top: 10px; }
		#mybb_error_content dt { font-weight: bold; }
	</style>
	<div id="mybb_error_content">
		<h2>MyBB SQL Error</h2>
		<div id="mybb_error_error">
		<p>MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.</p><dl>
<dt>SQL Error:</dt>
<dd>2006 - MySQL server has gone away</dd>
<dt>Query:</dt>
<dd>OPTIMIZE TABLE mybb_privatemessages</dd>
</dl>

<p id="mybb_error_footer">Please contact the <a href="http://mybb.com">MyBB Group</a> for support.</p>
		</div>
	</div>

SQL query:

<style type="text/css"> #mybb_error_content { border: 1px solid #B60101; background: #fff; } #mybb_error_content h2 { font-size: 12px; padding: 4px; background: #B60101; color: #fff; margin: 0; } #mybb_error_error { padding: 6px; } #mybb_error_footer { font-size: 11px; border-top: 1px solid #ccc; padding-top: 10px; } #mybb_error_content dt { font-weight: bold; } </style> <div id="mybb_error_content"> <h2>MyBB SQL Error</h2> <div id="mybb_error_error"> <p>MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.</p><dl> <dt>SQL Error:</dt> <dd>2006 - MySQL server has gone away</dd> <dt>Query:</dt> <dd>OPTIMIZE TABLE mybb_privatemessages</dd> </dl> <p id="mybb_error_footer">Please contact the <a href="http://mybb.com">MyBB Group</a> for support.</p> </div> </div>

MySQL said: Documentation
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '&lt;style type=&quot;text/css&quot;&gt;
        #mybb_error_content { border: 1px solid #B60101; backg' at line 1 

Since I'm only doing this as an experiment to learn. It's not a real emergency. I've also tried it over and over with new backups to ensure that none of them were corrupted. Any help would be highly appreciated.
well...I moved my forum. But I cannot login!!!

Edit: Fixed!
This method DOES work. Before you ever try with your real forum, do it with a test forum on localhost.
Once everything is clear and you have no doubt, do it with your forum.
(2011-03-25, 04:35 AM)Torrecus Wrote: [ -> ]This method DOES work. Before you ever try with your real forum, do it with a test forum on localhost.
Once everything is clear and you have no doubt, do it with your forum.

Well yes it does work, I've tested but I only get errors when I move the files as well, if I do a fresh install with a simple import it works fine but with the files I get errors such as the ones above.

Like Torrecus be sure to first experiment with a local host before moving every time, you need to do a transfer.
ok... but... what about the database? do I need to make some changes inside it?
Thankyou Inferno, first time I have done anything like this and it worked perfectly, again thank you for taking the time to do this very helpul tut for everyones benefit.
(2011-03-25, 09:48 PM)Prime Wrote: [ -> ]ok... but... what about the database? do I need to make some changes inside it?

Nope. Just import it. Make sure to select "All tables" when you created the backup. And try everything on a local/testing board as mentioned above.
hey!! 1 more thing... what about the mails? I don't know what to do...the only thing the new server gave me was POP3 mail server.... how and what must I add it into settings.php??
(2011-03-28, 11:04 PM)Prime Wrote: [ -> ]hey!! 1 more thing... what about the mails? I don't know what to do...the only thing the new server gave me was POP3 mail server.... how and what must I add it into settings.php??

They should have given you smtp settings along with pop3. Once you have the forum on the new server, go to admincp >> coniguration >> mail settings and select smtp and put in the smtp settings there
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14