MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PLUGINS FOR MONEY !?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Nvm, getting off topic.
Charging money for "additional features" to a free program has always happened, and will continue to happen. Whether someone agree's with it or not is irrelevant. Just look at the free CMS Joomla, and how many commercial plugins are made for that. It all boils down to making a profit or not, if Labrocca feels he is not making any more or enough money from charging for his plugins im sure he will remove the fee. But if people are glad to pay, the fee will stay.

Its Labrocca's perogative to charge for his plugins, as it is everyones elses not to pay and use them.

I can say i wont be paying for plugins, no matter who or how good they are. I chose MyBB simply because it was a great piece of software which came for free.

A note about charging for goods
Now Labrocca is charging for plugins and releases on his site, he is now bound to deliver a service to paying cutomers, so he will be "forced" to upgrade, update, release new plugins, otherwise he will lose members, and even ruin his already great reputation.

I wish Labrocca every success, i have always regarded him as a good asset to MyBB.
The Jackal Wrote:A note about charging for goods
Now Labrocca is charging for plugins and releases on his site, he is now bound to deliver a service to paying cutomers, so he will be "forced" to upgrade, update, release new plugins, otherwise he will lose members, and even ruin his already great reputation.

Exactly, the way I see it, $5 a year is a guarantee that he will support and update his plugins. You can't expect something like that from a volunteer.
It depends on the size of the plugin.

If it's a major addition, with several additional pages and new features, then yeah I'd consider paying for it.

Otherwise, no, I'll just do it myself. Toungue
Ryan Ashbrook Wrote:It depends on the size of the plugin.

If it's a major addition, with several additional pages and new features, then yeah I'd consider paying for it.

This is because you know how and you have a lot of experience... after 3 great years in MyBB Support Team. Smile
Others users do not know and when they will must to pay to download some plugins, maybe will start to learn how can make own plugins. Smile

If it would help you push out your RPG plugin quicker I'd have paid you a long time ago! Toungue
KuJoe Wrote:

If it would help you push out your RPG plugin quicker I'd have paid you a long time ago! Toungue

You talking full RPG or just the Inventory Shop? Toungue
Ryan Ashbrook Wrote:You talking full RPG or just the Inventory Shop? Toungue

Last I read you had a whole RPG system planned out. Now that I see you're working on a vB 3.7 version also I'm wishing I didn't buy a Inferno RPG license last year. :X
I would just like to say that i am fully behind labrocca's decision to charge a membership fee to download his plugins. I could understand people moaning if the cost of membership was expensive but $5 is nothing these days. Programing a plugin or creating a theme takes a lot of time and affort. I have used labrocca's in the past and have found the support excellent.

The fact that labrocca is donating part of the income generated from the membership fee direct to MyBB shows that he is not just doing this for profit for himself but to help generate funds and support MyBB as a whole.

Those of you that complain about the fee i ask when was the last time you made a donation to MyBB? I will admit i have never done so but when i am in a better position to do so that is one of the first things i will do.
$4.99/365 days = $0.0137 per day.

Yes, that's a little over 1 cent per day... start digging in your couches! LoL
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11