MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PLUGINS FOR MONEY !?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
labrocca Wrote:
Quote: If you cant stick by what you say THEN DONT SAY IT! Oh and no i wont be using your plugins ever.

Editing work? What are you talking about? I only edited typos? I only quoted what you typed. So confused about what you are talking about. I only see one edited post by me (post 15) and that was to fix a typo. Are you talking about the quoting I do? I don't like it when people bulk quote...it's a waste of space and difficult to address statements.

You can look back to the post i am referring to. You had IMPLIED ALL were ungratefull and then edited it out and reworded it. I dont care in either case. As said i'll stay away from your plugins. I just hope the rest of those who do them dont feel the same way you do. Because if so then that is the begining of the end to mybb. As a few others pointed out what your doing defeats the whole purpose of MYBB/FREE anyways.

Oh and Sugarcoat it all you like too because all i see is you taking advantage of the situation here because of the lack of those who make plugins.

I do appreciate what all others have done here as far as plugins etc go. I thank you! Too bad there isnt more like you all around but hopefully that changes soon.
I read one article today (posted on July 14th, 2006 - you can find it here) where people talks about "Pay for Plugins or Themes?" for WordPress.

Jeriko One:
I don’t think that some paid themes or plugins wouldn’t hurt the community at all. But they won’t be a success either. So, to give a short answer: Yes, for WordPress it’s too late. And that’s a good thing!
This is what I think about MyBB too. It's to late!
And that’s a good thing!

//Edited:
HarryWx Wrote:Too bad there isnt more like you all around but hopefully that changes soon.
Be sure... after MyBB users will must to pay for plugins... we will have more coders here.
judel Wrote:Well, I can see this thread getting locked soon. It's amazing how such a simple topic brings out people's blood lust! It's an individual choice to use someone's plugins. I doubt you'll hurt anyone's feelings for not using them.

Thats not my point to try and hurt anyones feelings. Just a simple choice. Sorry but i dissagree with doing this with the plugins. MYBB has NOT established itself enough YET. And already people are wanting to charge for this or that and then laying a guilt trip on those who dont pay and i surely dont see how that is gonna help attract new users here especially from other BBS systems where most of the mods ARE FREE. But yeah your right it is amazing to see peoples true colors come out in topics like this and i for one am glad that it did. I see no reason for locking it either. Nobody is flaming anyone. Alot of dissagreeing but thats it. Topic asked for input and i am giving it. Sorry if i offended anyone.
Quote:Labrocca... in your signature you promote own plugins (btw... for free) to members of this community.

Where do I say free? And why wouldn't I promote my plugins in my own signature? Would you rather I promote your sites? Again...you are placing your own sense of obligations onto me. I am NOT your own personal programmer here to satisfy you. Would you be happier if I just closed mybb central and removed all future support and never released my work for any price? That was and still could be an option.

btw..your sig is hilarious.

Quote:Poll: Do you agree to pay for plugins ?
Don't remain indifferent !!!

What happens if the poll says people won't pay for plugins?

It's a take it or leave it situation. You can't change this.

Quote:You had IMPLIED ALL were ungratefull and then edited it out and reworded it.

Ugh...what? What edit? You might want to view the post again because I don't see any edit time.

Quote:As said i'll stay away from your plugins.

Of course you will...you can't download them. Smile

http://www.bloggingpro.com/archives/2006...or-themes/
Quote:I read one article today (posted on July 14th, 2006 - you can find it here) where people talks about "Pay for Plugins or Themes?" for WordPress.

Seems a LOT of people in that thread are FOR paid plugins. Let's quote a few shall we:

Quote:There are plugins that I’m surprised don’t charge. Akismet comes to mind here.
Quote:...then there’s the option of paying for something that gives that little bit extra
Quote:Personally I would pay for plugins/themes that would make me money or add significant value to my site
Quote:I agree with you, every effort has to be compensated in some measure.
Quote:Ironically, this WP-Paypal plugin isn’t free.
Quote:The thing is, you may say “why charge for stuff that’s free on the Web?”. When the stuff has bugs, and needs fixing, bundling and quality control… that’s when it makes sense to purchase instead of download.
Quote:I have decided to make my Translator Pro plugin, based on the original WordPress Translator plugin, for pay only for several reasons:
Quote:The fact of the matter is, if you want a plugin that is robust, easy to use, supported fully by the developer and will upgrade as WordPress does, then that’s more likely to happen if you pay something (either on the front end or on the back end).

Now back to this thread which is actually relevant since it's about mybb and not WP.

Quote:Oh and Sugarcoat it all you like too because all i see is you taking advantage of the situation here because of the lack of those who make plugins.

So you think I am sugarcoating this? Hmm..interesting. First you say I have attitude and then you say I am sugarcoating. Which is it?

Quote:MYBB has NOT established itself enough YET.

So let me get this straight? I can ask you to make me a theme or plugin and if you say
you want payment I can reply..."sorry I can't pay since I don't think mybb is established enough"...hahahaha

What about when I sell a forum? Should I not get paid because "mybb isn't established enough"?

How about we all just close shop and use VB or phpbb since it's established? What an insult to mybb.

No ONE ....and I am dead serious about this. NO ONE advocates mybb more than I do across the web. I am a member at MANY webmaster forums and I link to my own mybb forums as well as discuss mybb favorably in every thread I can. People ask what to use for software..I tell them MYBB. People ask me what's the best free forum software...I tell them MYBB. If I sell a mybb site and make substantial income..I donate some to Chris.

At what point does compensation become a problem for you? When it's beyond your own reach or that it inconveniences you?

Let's also examine your statement again and it's logic.

Are you saying that when Mybb IS established enough that paid plugins would be acceptable? Seems that's what you implying with that giant YET. So how do you decide what's established? And imho...I am getting in on the ground floor. I am more of a trend-setter than a follower. I am positioned well to be the top provider of independent mybb plugins. If anyone is placed to ask for payment it's my site.

If other theme authors asked for me to pay a small sum..I would pay. Take for example the Game Section. I use it on a few sites and if he wants a free mybb central subscription he only has to ask me. That's balance. I offered Jude hers for free...she paid anyways. Same goes for a couple others. They were happy to offer me something small in return for the work I have done.

Really...I am sorry some feel this to be unfair in some way. I don't agree. Name me ONE single widely distributed forum software or CMS that doesn't have paid plugins or themes? Name ONE.

Wordpress? Nope.
Joomla? Nope.
PHPBB? Nope.
VB? Nope.
SMF? Nope.

Go ahead and name me one. Find it. Just because I am the first won't mean I am the last. Consider this thread a milestone for mybb. It might be read years from now with laughter.
Having thought about this for a few more minutes...I want to help resolve this for some people that think I am being somehow unfair. I will request for Chris to give his opinion. Being he is so well respected and of course the creator of mybb I greatly respect his view. If he thinks that my subscription payment is unfair I will remove it and give every subscriber a refund. There is no opinion I trust greater on the matter than him. It's his project...and if he thinks what I have done will harm Mybb then I will gladly change it. Is that fair enough for everyone?

Fair warning though...if I remove the subscriptions...people shouldn't expect new releases from me nor updates when 1.4 comes out. Just about every plugin is going to break on release. Every author is going to have their hands full. At least those willing to even bother updating. As from 1.1x many authors simply let their work fall to the side.

So let's hope Chris chimes in..I hate to bother a busy guy like him but feel it might be necessary to get his input on this.

Fair?

I just sent Chris this:

Quote:If you haven't noticed I started a subscription fee of $5 per year at Mybb Central. Without a subscription downloads are not possible. I promised to donate 20% of income to Mybb (you). Right now 11 people have subscribed but of course I expect more.

However a thread was started by a protestor. I was expecting that. As a matter of fact I can't believe three days went by before it happened. Anyways...the thread is a bit heated in discussion. Some are very adamant that it's the wrong thing to do.

I hate to bother you and your busy schedule but could you please post in the thread your own view on the matter? I guess I don't expect you to read the whole thread so I will boil it down for you.

Some feel that charging is wrong because mybb is free and that I previously offered these plugins free. Some feel that Mybb isn't established enough to have paid plugins or themes.

I feel that my plugins are substantial enough and my support good enough that small compensation of $5 isn't outrageous.

I have stated that whatever your opinion I will abide by. If you feel that what I have done will hurt mybb or that it's wrong then I will undo it.

Well here is the thread:

http://community.mybboard.net/showthread...#pid212160

If you want to skip on having an opinion I understand and would just ask that you let us know that.

Thank you,
Jesse
After reading this thread, I've decided to BUY a subscription to Mybbcentral.

Why?

I've been to MybbCentral a lot, downloading mods, and all I've seen is spam posts by members who just want to download mods. They weren't' contributing to Mybb Central at all.

So Good Luck Labrocca, you'll see me on MybbCentral Soon!

~Just an quick edit.

At first I was also mad at Labrocca for doing this, but come to think of it he has every right to do so and has been one of the top Mybb Plugin Authors at Mybb for some time.
labrocca Wrote:
Quote:Labrocca... in your signature you promote own plugins (btw... for free) to members of this community.

Where do I say free? And why wouldn't I promote my plugins in my own signature? Would you rather I promote your sites? Again...you are placing your own sense of obligations onto me. I am NOT your own personal programmer here to satisfy you. Would you be happier if I just closed mybb central and removed all future support and never released my work for any price? That was and still could be an option.

btw..your sig is hilarious.

Quote:Poll: Do you agree to pay for plugins ?
Don't remain indifferent !!!

What happens if the poll says people won't pay for plugins?

It's a take it or leave it situation. You can't change this.

Quote:You had IMPLIED ALL were ungratefull and then edited it out and reworded it.

Ugh...what? What edit? You might want to view the post again because I don't see any edit time.

Quote:As said i'll stay away from your plugins.

Of course you will...you can't download them. Smile

http://www.bloggingpro.com/archives/2006...or-themes/
Quote:I read one article today (posted on July 14th, 2006 - you can find it here) where people talks about "Pay for Plugins or Themes?" for WordPress.

Seems a LOT of people in that thread are FOR paid plugins. Let's quote a few shall we:

Quote:There are plugins that I’m surprised don’t charge. Akismet comes to mind here.
Quote:...then there’s the option of paying for something that gives that little bit extra
Quote:Personally I would pay for plugins/themes that would make me money or add significant value to my site
Quote:I agree with you, every effort has to be compensated in some measure.
Quote:Ironically, this WP-Paypal plugin isn’t free.
Quote:The thing is, you may say “why charge for stuff that’s free on the Web?”. When the stuff has bugs, and needs fixing, bundling and quality control… that’s when it makes sense to purchase instead of download.
Quote:I have decided to make my Translator Pro plugin, based on the original WordPress Translator plugin, for pay only for several reasons:
Quote:The fact of the matter is, if you want a plugin that is robust, easy to use, supported fully by the developer and will upgrade as WordPress does, then that’s more likely to happen if you pay something (either on the front end or on the back end).

Now back to this thread which is actually relevant since it's about mybb and not WP.

Quote:Oh and Sugarcoat it all you like too because all i see is you taking advantage of the situation here because of the lack of those who make plugins.

So you think I am sugarcoating this? Hmm..interesting. First you say I have attitude and then you say I am sugarcoating. Which is it?

So let me get this straight? I can ask you to make me a theme or plugin and if you say
you want payment I can reply..."sorry I can't pay since I don't think mybb is established enough"...hahahaha

What about when I sell a forum? Should I not get paid because "mybb isn't established enough"?

How about we all just close shop and use VB or phpbb since it's established? What an insult to mybb.

No ONE ....and I am dead serious about this. NO ONE advocates mybb more than I do across the web. I am a member at MANY webmaster forums and I link to my own mybb forums as well as discuss mybb favorably in every thread I can. People ask what to use for software..I tell them MYBB. People ask me what's the best free forum software...I tell them MYBB. If I sell a mybb site and make substantial income..I donate some to Chris.

At what point does compensation become a problem for you? When it's beyond your own reach or that it inconveniences you?

Let's also examine your statement again and it's logic.

Are you saying that when Mybb IS established enough that paid plugins would be acceptable? Seems that's what you implying with that giant YET. So how do you decide what's established? And imho...I am getting in on the ground floor. I am more of a trend-setter than a follower. I am positioned well to be the top provider of independent mybb plugins. If anyone is placed to ask for payment it's my site.

If other theme authors asked for me to pay a small sum..I would pay. Take for example the Game Section. I use it on a few sites and if he wants a free mybb central subscription he only has to ask me. That's balance. I offered Jude hers for free...she paid anyways. Same goes for a couple others. They were happy to offer me something small in return for the work I have done.

Really...I am sorry some feel this to be unfair in some way. I don't agree. Name me ONE single widely distributed forum software or CMS that doesn't have paid plugins or themes? Name ONE.

Wordpress? Nope.
Joomla? Nope.
PHPBB? Nope.
VB? Nope.
SMF? Nope.

Go ahead and name me one. Find it. Just because I am the first won't mean I am the last. Consider this thread a milestone for mybb. It might be read years from now with laughter.

Again thanks for showing your TRUE COLORS. All about the money. So stop acting like you care about mybb or anyone else here. All you care about is making money off the poor souls here and are taking advantage of the situation. The ONLY ones who are supporting this is YOUR BUDS from your site and elsewhere who are trying to do the same and thats it. I surely dont see anyone else supporting it.
Quote:Again thanks for showing your TRUE COLORS. All about the money. So stop acting like you care about mybb or anyone else here. All you care about is making money off the poor souls here and are taking advantage of the situation. The ONLY ones who are supporting this is YOUR BUDS from your site and elsewhere who are trying to do the same and thats it. I surely dont see anyone else supporting it.

If he didn't care about Mybb he wouldn't have been making plugins for 2 years before making his site pay only.
=P Labrocca/Lex/Zinga Burga probably release some of the best plugins. writing code is work and when you're working you should get paid, if you decide it's needed...I am for Labrocca charging a fee for plugins, but Labrocca, maybe you should make it where lengthy plugins or plugin request require the $5/year fee and release minor plugins free of charge.. Just my 2 cents...I'll wait a few days and see if Chris replies to this thread before I send you the $5 or not.
bk2070 Wrote:After reading this thread, I've decided to BUY a subscription to Mybbcentral.

Why?

I've been to MybbCentral a lot, downloading mods, and all I've seen is spam posts by members who just want to download mods. They weren't' contributing to Mybb Central at all.

So Good Luck Labrocca, you'll see me on MybbCentral Soon!

~Just an quick edit.

At first I was also mad at Labrocca for doing this, but come to think of it he has every right to do so and has been one of the top Mybb Plugin Authors at Mybb for some time.

And your not getting it either. If he has it his way everything here will be paid. NOTHING wrong with donating or asking for donations but to make it so all plugins are paid for? No thanks. And sorry i am about certain that is what he is trying to do here. Thus the rallying call of his friends to gain support for it. I have been here long enough to know who supports/wants this and who dont.

YES he has every right to charge. No issue there. But to say that people are bad or whatever because they dont wanna pay? WRONG! And i dont care for the way he is doing this either by trying to get all those who do plugins to go paid as well or if they dont he implies that their plugins suck. He ripped the whole community and then turns around and wants all plugins to be paid for se he can make a few extra bucks? I think not. And no he doesnt have to say it either. His posts in this thread says all that needs to be said for his wants.

I am pretty sure too that Chris will have no problems with him making his mod's paid for. Nor will any of the other staff have issues with it. Thats not my point and never was. Everyone here knows how Chris and the other developers feel about it. But again shows how far he is willing to go to try and make it look ok. Again i dont like how he and several others here are trying to take advantage of the situation because mybb is low on those who do plugins. And i surely dont care for the way they are going about it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11