MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PLUGINS FOR MONEY !?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
maybe you can have a.......
under 50 lines of code=free
above 50 lines=$5/year charge
request=$5/year charge
and then limit the amount of plugins you make for free and force users to have X amount of posts before being able to download your free plugins...

Not quite sure why people are complaining about the fact that mybb is free and so should your plugins....mybb is free and awesome with what it has built into it...plugins just enhance it even more.

plugin coders should be able to ask a small fee for code they write esp. if they support it. =P just my rant.
labrocca Wrote:I have made a total of $26.31 from my ads in 15 months...that's about $1.75 per month. Hardly compensation for my efforts. And to encourage ad clicking will get my adsense account banned. I don't do such things.

Quote:by the way we (i mean all mybb users) adding backlinks for some mod also. seo, crackertracker, overview, asoi e.t.c. think about it.

I hate to add backlinks...sorry but links on most of my sites are worth more than $5.

Quote:Now I see how much do you want to make money with your plugins.

Ugh...yeah...you have a knack for stating the obvious.

Quote:Exactly! A little thank you to them never hurts either.

That's what $5 is...a little thank you. It doesn't hurt you either.

In marketing there is something called a "target audience" and obviously some of you just don't fit that category for me. It doesn't hurt my feelings and it shouldn't hurt yours.

What I do at mybb central should NOT be confused with Mybb. Seems a bit of a misconception that somehow I am altering the Mybb project. I don't have any influence here. I am pretty sure that a few on the mybb staff don't even like me. I am not trying to win a popularity contest. I am not mincing words either. I am making it VERY clear that I intend to create some revenue. Unfortunately I deleted a thread started in 2007 about this subscription plugin. In it I clearly mention that I intended to charge for the plugin. Now I could have just charged $5 for the one plugin. However it seemed more appropriate to just charge a flat fee for access to ALL my downloads. Unfortunately for those that can't pay..this seems unfair. I do apologize for that...you are an unintended victim in this.

Personally I think some are jumping the gun on their criticism. You don't know how this will play out or what the future has in-store. I do like the idea of finding creative ways to obtain download access such as post count at webmasterforums.biz. Would that be too much to ask for as well though?

whatever its totaly your personal choice
if you be happy you have to do it. some of our maybe support you. but i know alot of us do not pays for mods. (its not about your effors) i belive every user of mybb respect you and you are realy popular.
labrocca Wrote:I dare you to PM a staff member of Mybb and see what kind of response you get. Smile

Here are examples of mybb staff signatures:

Quote:Please do not PM me for help, I will always tell you to ask in the support forums.
Quote:Please do not PM me for support. Chances are I'll ignore you.
That's fine and an understandable position but realize it's not for everyone. Some really need quick response to their problems and being ignored or forced to post their issue publically may not be optimal for them.
Sorry to jump in.
The reasons we do that is so that the support that we (or other members) do give can be used by other members when/if they have the same or similar problem. It is also done because while may be online at the time, we may not have the time to reply to a PM.
Say we do reply to a PM and the user takes a few hours to get back to us with details - we've left the computer and gone to do something else. Now we have about 5 impatient PMs sitting in our inbox asking where we are. (It's happened.)
If they are so impatient for support they surely can make a thread where everyone has the ability to help them.

I am probably one of the support members that sees the most support requesting PMs because I idle on the online page. Probably.
So requesting help from me at 4am is not going to get them support any time soon.

I fail to see a reason why they cannot ask for support publicly. What were you referring to when you suggested that? Smile (Not implied to be rude at all.)
Seems a fair idea you give a lot of time to the plugins,so why not get something back .And the support part of paid, hope this includes all but your home phone No. if I had a problem Toungue
nice work and Ill continue to support you ..good luck
WOAH...Looks like we have a bug in the system. Says last post by MYBBhost on the forum page but here it shows an1mal as the last post.

*Edit*
Mine is showing up just fine.
HarryWx Wrote:WOAH...Looks like we have a bug in the system. Says last post by MYBBhost on the forum page but here it shows an1mal as the last post.

*Edit*

i think its an annoprove post.
Quote:And the support part of paid, hope this includes all but your home phone No. if I had a problem

Well I did give one person my home number yesterday to help fix a problem.

rhino..it's a very understandable position as I originally stated. But like I also said...it's not optimal in certain situations to post publically a problem. My point was to show the difference in support idealogy.

Going to also add a general statement. Don't think that I believe ALL plugins should be paid or that every author should do what I have done. Do some of you fear that I will create a standard of some type? Personally I don't see that happening. I see that I will have less people using my plugins and I will have less support work overall. My plugins are not required by mybb. Each of them is some add-on that only enhances mybb or adds a specific feature. If I never ever released a single mybb plugin I don't think the project would be effected one bit. I think what's probably more influencing is some of the larger mybb sites I have created. Few even can distinguish exactly what's a plugin and what's a feature.

Name exactly one plugin I have that mybb users can't live without? My plugins are an option...a choice. I respect anyone's decision not to use my plugins nor do I force anyone to pay me. Those that do want to subscribe I simply embrace with open arms. Those that don't get a handshake and a good-bye.
dared Wrote:
HarryWx Wrote:WOAH...Looks like we have a bug in the system. Says last post by MYBBhost on the forum page but here it shows an1mal as the last post.

*Edit*

i think its an annoprove post.

Intresting. Is that the way that is supposed to work? I would think it would be better to not even show what it did if the post is waiting to be approved except by staff.
i dont know what is it exactly. its just a idea Big Grin lets ask labrocca Toungue (just kidding dont be mad)
labrocca Wrote:
Quote:And the support part of paid, hope this includes all but your home phone No. if I had a problem

Well I did give one person my home number yesterday to help fix a problem.

rhino..it's a very understandable position as I originally stated. But like I also said...it's not optimal in certain situations to post publically a problem. My point was to show the difference in support idealogy.

Going to also add a general statement. Don't think that I believe ALL plugins should be paid or that every author should do what I have done. Do some of you fear that I will create a standard of some type? Personally I don't see that happening. I see that I will have less people using my plugins and I will have less support work overall. My plugins are not required by mybb. Each of them is some add-on that only enhances mybb or adds a specific feature. If I never ever released a single mybb plugin I don't think the project would be effected one bit. I think what's probably more influencing is some of the larger mybb sites I have created. Few even can distinguish exactly what's a plugin and what's a feature.

Name exactly one plugin I have that mybb users can't live without? My plugins are an option...a choice. I respect anyone's decision not to use my plugins nor do I force anyone to pay me. Those that do want to subscribe I simply embrace with open arms. Those that don't get a handshake and a good-bye.

If thats how you feel then you should remove them from the forums here and do all supporting of those plugins at your site. JMHO It doesnt make sense to have paid for stuff on a free site. All it is gonna do is create headaches anyways. Use your sig and advertise your site in the forum for that here like everyone else here does. Sorry but you shouldnt get a free ride either.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11