MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: RE: After 1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
It'll literally make me cry if anyone is still using 1.4 or 1.2 when 2.0 is released.Toungue
Smile Just a thought, I didn't know if a complete rewrite of the core would allow it or not :/
It's going to be a complete rewrite. And I'm sure the core will allow it, more than likely.
(2009-03-10, 01:03 AM)Elegant Totality Wrote: [ -> ]Smile Just a thought, I didn't know if a complete rewrite of the core would allow it or not :/

Despite it being a core rewrite. IIRC, the only thing that's being "transferred" or "upgraded" would be the data that's in the database and your settings. I'll tell you this, the merge system can migrate you from VB, PHPBB, etc, to MyBB. Do note, those have completely different cores.
Best Regards.
Ah! ok. I never thought of it that way Wink Thanks
It's a given though that all 1.x plugins won't work for 2.x. So for me...I can wait 3+ years for 2.0.
(2009-03-10, 01:02 AM)Tom Loveric Wrote: [ -> ]It'll literally make me cry if anyone is still using 1.4 or 1.2 when 2.0 is released.Toungue
I wouldn't. I never use any software release until the bug-fix version comes out (IE 2.0.1). I would probably wait even longer. When 1.4 came out, most plugins did not work, and no themes worked. I assume the transition from 1.6 --> 2.0 will be much worse, and plugins will take much longer to remake.

I don't want to have a forum where I can't use any plugins or anything, a lot of my board's rely on plugins. And I would certainly not enjoy remaking all of my themes.
(2009-03-10, 01:26 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]It's a given though that all 1.x plugins won't work for 2.x. So for me...I can wait 3+ years for 2.0.

But, that just means you'll have more to update when the time comes Toungue. Hopefully they get a beta going at least 6 months before final release so everyone has time to upgrade all their stuff.
(2009-03-10, 02:23 AM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-03-10, 01:02 AM)Tom Loveric Wrote: [ -> ]It'll literally make me cry if anyone is still using 1.4 or 1.2 when 2.0 is released.Toungue
I assume the transition from 1.6 --> 2.0 will be much worse, and plugins will take much longer to remake.

Who knows, they might be much easier to make Toungue

Not that I know anything about that, I'm just making conversation Big Grin
To be honest i cannot possibly think what could be added to 1.4 to make it worthy of the 1.6 title. Seriously, what major new features does 1.4 not have that would warrant a rewrite?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13