MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: RE: After 1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I also think the portal should be more customizable.
I think you should be able to deactivate the portal from the administrator panel. Smile
Wikipedia on Rewrite (programming) has some interesting references where people discuss the pro and con of rewriting a software. It's worth reading those, if you don't have experience with rewriting a project of this scale.

From my own experience, I can say that a rewrite is a good thing if it's your software, if it's messy, if it's small, and if you know exactly what you can do better than in the first incarnation.

For big projects, rewriting is a pain. The project has so many files and features, you don't know or don't remember all of them. Even worse, there may be tons of third party applications that depend on your project in ways you don't know. Rewriting such a project means throwing away (and having to redo) years of work, experience, testing, and bugfixing.

I've seen both cases... I've succeeded in rewriting things, and the result was much better, more performant, and easier to extend than the old ones... but I've also failed in rewriting things, usually huge projects, simply because it's too much work, takes way too long, and if you manage to finish it after years you're back to status quo - while the new code may be much nicer than the old one, essentially what the software does is still the same, because you concentrated on rewriting it, and not on adding a whole lot of new features.

In case of MyBB, I don't see why a complete rewrite would be necessary. Compared to many other projects, the MyBB code is fine. I've only started using it with version 1.4.3 or so (shortly before the 1.4.4 release) and during this time I wrote two plugins. MyBB code is easy to understand, easy to modify, and easy to write plugins for. And the software itself works well, most of the time anyway.

Rewriting this from scratch seems like an awful lot of work with very little benefit to me. The time may be better spent picking one component of the MyBB puzzle at a time and giving it not a rewrite, but an overhaul.

MyBB has other issues that should be worked on instead, for example lousy project management. Bug reports are getting ignored, security issues are brushed under the carpet.
(2009-03-24, 04:04 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB has other issues that should be worked on instead, for example lousy project management. Bug reports are getting ignored, security issues are brushed under the carpet.

Uhm, we have one of the highest fix rates of any forum software I know, and there are currently zero vulnerabilities that we know of that require us making a release. MyBB is probably more secure then the browser your running right now. In fact, in the next few weeks we will perform a short beta on MyBB 1.4.5 and after that is completed, we will release it to the general public.

Some parts of our code date back to 2001. The rewrite will greatly improve extensibility, stability, improve memory, and CPU usage overall. It will also bring MyBB up to 21st century coding practices.
After coding a bit for MyBB, I can say that alot of the code is indeed outdated and need a rewrite, alot of the page files are a real mess (no offence), probably not all of it but alot of it.

Although I do agree that you need better project management. With Bug reports and such. Not really on the fixtime on them though.
Quote:Bug reports are getting ignored..

Bug reports aren't getting ignored (at least it appears), we get to them when we can.
I think MyBB is one of the most secure forum software's I have seen.
(2009-03-25, 04:08 AM)Shawn Gossman Wrote: [ -> ]I think MyBB is one of the most secure forum software's I have seen.
Glad you think soBig Grin
I don't like to kiss donkey but mybb never gives me a reason to gripe... except over the "dont PM me for support" issue, its overused IMO but thats all ill say about that Smile
Well when you get ~10-20 PM's a day, you'd understand it more clearlyToungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13