MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Break after 1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
That's great, guys. I am appreciating the openness lately. The 1.2 era, I think a lot of users felt left out of the creative process, but I see people talking more publicly about it now. I'm hoping to see a blog post on 1.6 soon.
(2009-07-31, 11:27 PM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-31, 11:19 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-31, 11:10 PM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-31, 10:16 PM)Prudens Wrote: [ -> ]Except for plugins and crappy themes...
... You're a doll.

As much as I dislike him, it'd be naive for me to describe the plugin and theme situation as particularly great.
Understand that to a certain extent, since not to lie, MyBB has one of the largest availabilities in free GOOD looking themes.
Very true, all the free SMF and even vBulletin themes are ugly as hell.
so how many years before 2.0 comes out???
There is no official ETA set and there never will be. It'll take as long as it takes for it to be a quality product. But it'll be a fair while yet.
(2009-08-01, 12:16 AM)Prudens Wrote: [ -> ]so how many years before 2.0 comes out???
We're putting all our efforts towards 1.6 at the moment, since that comes before 2.0. We're still planning for 2.0 and having meetings regularly to discuss what we want to see in 2.0 and things like that.

1.6 is pretty much all planned, but that's not to say we still won't take on suggestions that come from the beta testing stage (which will most likely happen, no, do not ask for invites).
In fact, we're still coming up with brilliant ideas to put into 1.6 between ourselves. Smile
I remember hearing a few months ago that we probably wouldn't see 2.0 for at least two years, probably closer to three. But this is just heresay.
Ya, all the times are just gueses and will probably stay a guess of two to three years for about year meaning 3 or 4 Toungue.
(2009-08-01, 12:18 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]There is no official ETA set and there never will be. It'll take as long as it takes for it to be a quality product. But it'll be a fair while yet.

While this is annoying it helps them make a better MyBB, and that's what we all want, right?

Quote:1.6 is pretty much all planned, but that's not to say we still won't take on suggestions that come from the beta testing stage (which will most likely happen, no, do not ask for invites).
In fact, we're still coming up with brilliant ideas to put into 1.6 between ourselves. Smile
It's a shame my situation during 1.4's beta phase stopped me from doing real testing.
(2009-07-28, 11:36 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly. Lennart, if you want MyBB to sit around while everyone else grows in popularity, I'm not so sure you're a benefit to this community.

I don't want MyBB to "sit around", that's why I spoke for no development stop after 1.6.
If you don't think I'm a benefit to the community - well, you may believe whatever you would like to Smile

(2009-07-28, 11:59 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]He's doing more than a lot of the people complaining. Most of the people who want plugins and themes are those who can't don't have the knowledge to make them. Scoutie I know you make themes so ya Toungue.

But, if you really think mybb needs so and so go make it. I know Brad has started working on a theme with combus. Lennart makes plugins.
Thank you NetSage for the kind words. I see a lot of people complaining at the moment who have no idea of Php or anything.
And I do see a lot of really useless requests for plugins that are just not necessary. We need to keep the focus on important stuff like integration of other software and I'm pretty sure we can make it- we, the community.

(2009-07-29, 12:10 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes; he does make plugins. But his attitude is somewhat hypocritical to his actions. He makes plugins for the better, but then just says "Oh, well if you don't like it, don't use it! Then everyone's happy." or something to that effect.

What else can I say?
If you don't like MyBB would you complain to the devs to change the concept or just use something you do like, for example PhpBB?
And you are mixing things up by the way - I said don't use my THEMES if you don't like them - nobody said he doesn't like my plugins so far- they just all want to have them for free Toungue

(2009-07-29, 01:08 AM)Ooka Wrote: [ -> ]Just going back to the discussion from a few pages ago. Making a member that already develops a lot of themes or plug-ins staff doesn't change anything, it's only aiming to make them feel more important, so that isn't going to help anything at all. Really, Theme Designer and Plug-in Developer staff positions is just not a good idea at all, because it'll just give them a higher sense of worth and they'll think they don't really need to finish plug-ins as fast as they previously had because they've got no where higher to go.

Just my two cents.

Indeed. I myself prefer to not being staff here - I can freely decide what I'd like to do than and develop my own stuff.
I don't think that Ryan would ever ask me but if he'd do my answer would be no - also because I just don't have the time.

(2009-07-29, 01:14 AM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]Let me clear this up. I more or less mean a team of people who basically know the in and outs of those areas. Not saying they have to develop plugins/themes. Just be there to help guide new people/help etc in those forums sorta like phpbb does if i am not mistaken.
Let me tell you... I just spend 30 minutes in the discussion & support forum of plugins and code modifications and Matt, Labrocca and I posted the same, helpful answers in such a little ammount of time that we didn't see that the others posted allready.
MyBB is great when it comes to the support, it is something really impressive.
There are people that don't get tired to answer the same question 200 times to new users and I'm sure that everybody who tries and develop his own plugin - and comes to any critical point - will get support here and his plugin.

I think the only problem at the moment is the documentation that isn't acurat, really. But you can find a lot of useful info in the user submitted tutorials - I think the users are better in documenting then the devs at the moment Toungue
But as I read a new docu is on the way so this might solve our problems.

Kind regards to everyone
Lennart Sauter
(2009-07-31, 07:49 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB Developers are likely to focus on developing the MyBB codebase officially, not something else.

That was my question, if thats the response i would suggest that this be closed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14