MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Break after 1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Well, Tomm is already working on some great plug-ins, and some non-developers already make great plug-ins, and it isn't worth waiting that much longer for 2.0 just to get a few plug-ins that could be made by someone else. Honestly, I think they're fine just working on MyBB instead of Plug-ins. :/
I really would like to talk to some developers of plugins for phpBB and SMF and ask what attracts them to that platform over MyBB.
Yep senerio time.

Joey:Hi im Joe

Mybb:Hi joe use mybb!

JoeyBig Grino you have a wordpress intergration? Drupal?

Mybb:umm no...

See my point?
I understand but it's still not up to mybb to provide this. We could wait years and not see it come. Or, 1.6 could be released and we have a bridge in a week. It's up to the communities of both scripts to provide this. It seems most the people that have the talent would rather just build around mybb. So it's more up to the community of the other script.
Speaking of which, a Wordpress integration was released. Toungue
(2009-07-15, 06:27 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Well firstly everyones gonna hate me for this.

But personally i find one of the reasons MyBB isn't growing, is because the lack of plugins and integration.

So i suggest, after 1.6 is somewhat stable (like after most of the bug fixes etc)
The team so work on some plugins and integrations. Not support, but make it. Because once someone makes it, someone can take up the part of fixing it.

I disagree personally.
The team should work on MyBB, that's their priority.
And I can't see that MyBB lacks of plugins and integration.
I myself do find it hard to get ideas for good plugins and integrating MyBB into another site is amazing easy - see Zaiendo.de for a fully featured example!

(2009-07-15, 10:27 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]No, I actually agree. But isn't 2.0 like two years off anyway?

2.0 is going to break compatibility and I'm actually worried that we're going to see even less development because of it, because everyone will just want to wait for 2.0. I hope 1.6 is going to be supported for a long time after 2.0 comes out because I simply can't afford to give up all my custom work.

It'll not be that hard to rewrite the plugins for 2.0 and it's so long till 2.0 will be released. 2.0 will have easier integration asfaik and we'll have a lot of fun with it so it'll be no problem to implement custom work again.
And till 2.0 is released we'll have a lot of fun Wink

(2009-07-16, 04:22 AM)Darkmew Wrote: [ -> ]I do not believe that this is caused by no user participation but by a lack of documentation.
I partly agree, especially the MyBB wiki isn't very useful for me.
But in the meantime there have been great tutorials and tools (hook finder e.g.) and plugin making is really easy - if you know some Php.

(2009-07-26, 11:49 PM)Ooka Wrote: [ -> ]Well, Tomm is already working on some great plug-ins, and some non-developers already make great plug-ins, and it isn't worth waiting that much longer for 2.0 just to get a few plug-ins that could be made by someone else. Honestly, I think they're fine just working on MyBB instead of Plug-ins. :/

I agree, plugins should be made by the community and there is a lot of new stuff to come so... patience Wink

(2009-07-27, 03:11 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Yep senerio time.
Joey:Hi im Joe
Mybb:Hi joe use mybb!
JoeyBig Grino you have a wordpress intergration? Drupal?
Mybb:umm no...
See my point?
I don't have difficulties in MyBB integration but with Drupal and WP... both systems are more difficult to get then MyBB in my opinion!

(2009-07-27, 04:03 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]I understand but it's still not up to mybb to provide this. We could wait years and not see it come. Or, 1.6 could be released and we have a bridge in a week. It's up to the communities of both scripts to provide this. It seems most the people that have the talent would rather just build around mybb. So it's more up to the community of the other script.
I see that aswell.

If bridges are so important I can look into that but I wouldn't like Ryan to step back from development of MyBB - if he doesn't add the necessary features (e.g. hooks) the community can't develop plugins.

Kind regards
Lennart Sauter
(2009-07-27, 04:57 AM)Ooka Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of which, a Wordpress integration was released. Toungue

It's very basic, and while it is functional I don't think it's what people were waiting for.
Well Lennart, you may be what we need, you are willing to make what is missing.

To be honest, this was a call to arms, more then a suggestion. Its either we start making what we need for new and more users, or accept the losses. (I hate doing that)
(2009-07-27, 07:51 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-27, 04:57 AM)Ooka Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of which, a Wordpress integration was released. Toungue
It's very basic, and while it is functional I don't think it's what people were waiting for.

So what are the people waiting for?
A WordPressJoomlaMyBB mix that acts like Youtube too?
A forum should stay a forum in my opinion, if we need to have bridges we'll develop them the way people want to have them.
I made the first basics for a simple integration, user integration shouldn't be too hard eighter. JFusion integrates MyBB to Joomla.
I really don't see the problems with the integration...

(2009-07-27, 07:53 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Well Lennart, you may be what we need, you are willing to make what is missing.
To be honest, this was a call to arms, more then a suggestion. Its either we start making what we need for new and more users, or accept the losses. (I hate doing that)
I don't see losses here to be honest. Here are a lot of people online and if you ask sometrhing you get a reply very soon.
Do we have any target to reach? Do we have to have 200 new MyBBs in the web every day?
I don't think so... just let's continue the way it is Smile
(2009-07-27, 08:02 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-27, 07:51 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]

So what are the people waiting for?
A WordPressJoomlaMyBB mix that acts like Youtube too?
A forum should stay a forum in my opinion, if we need to have bridges we'll develop them the way people want to have them.
I made the first basics for a simple integration, user integration shouldn't be too hard eighter. JFusion integrates MyBB to Joomla.
I really don't see the problems with the integration...

AFAIK all your plugin does is pull text from an attached Wordpress site. I don't know what people wanted specifically for this as I don't use Wordpress, but probably something more full-featured than that.

You can say "well a forum should just be a forum" but that's a really naive way to look at it. I just reached 2000 members today, so I can confidently say my MyBB is a success. The forum is certainly the heart of everything, but right now building supplementary content for the site and keeping it integrated with MyBB is nigh-impossible. I think people want some sort of fully-featured CMS integration with MyBB so that their forums and traditional content don't feel like detached limbs from the same body.

We do need bridges, or at least some sort of custom MyBB CMS, but those aren't being developed. I may have to commission one soon because I don't know if I can continue on this way. I'm rather impatiently awaiting Tomm's MyBB Wiki plugin and hoping it's able to accomplish what I'm looking for (as I have MediaWiki as well, and wouldn't be against dropping it in favour of a more integrated solution).

So Lennart, you can say this if you want to ... however, you are building plugins to serve MyBB webmasters, whereas I actually am the webmaster of a large MyBB and I am telling you these are the sorts of features that we're looking for.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14