MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Break after 1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
What attitude? You made a very vague statement. I interpreted it wrong sorry Toungue.
(2009-07-28, 09:21 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]What attitude? You made a very vague statement. I interpreted it wrong sorry Toungue.

Next time ask..Toungue

Seriously if anyone is not sure about something said by me ( Or anyone )just ask. Smile

All is good.
(2009-07-27, 08:02 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-27, 07:51 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-27, 04:57 AM)Ooka Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of which, a Wordpress integration was released. Toungue
It's very basic, and while it is functional I don't think it's what people were waiting for.

So what are the people waiting for?
A WordPressJoomlaMyBB mix that acts like Youtube too?
A forum should stay a forum in my opinion, if we need to have bridges we'll develop them the way people want to have them.
I made the first basics for a simple integration, user integration shouldn't be too hard eighter. JFusion integrates MyBB to Joomla.
I really don't see the problems with the integration...

(2009-07-27, 07:53 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Well Lennart, you may be what we need, you are willing to make what is missing.
To be honest, this was a call to arms, more then a suggestion. Its either we start making what we need for new and more users, or accept the losses. (I hate doing that)
I don't see losses here to be honest. Here are a lot of people online and if you ask sometrhing you get a reply very soon.
Do we have any target to reach? Do we have to have 200 new MyBBs in the web every day?
I don't think so... just let's continue the way it is Smile

But you can see twice as many PHPBB ones.
I also see 50x as many phpBB hosts(you know that make a forum for you). And, they have 16x as many people registered at phpbb.

You can't just expect MyBB to become #1. phpBB has been around for a long time and gained a huge following.
Exactly. Lennart, if you want MyBB to sit around while everyone else grows in popularity, I'm not so sure you're a benefit to this community.
He's doing more than a lot of the people complaining. Most of the people who want plugins and themes are those who can't don't have the knowledge to make them. Scoutie I know you make themes so ya Toungue.

But, if you really think mybb needs so and so go make it. I know Brad has started working on a theme with combus. Lennart makes plugins.
(2009-07-28, 11:22 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]I also see 50x as many phpBB hosts(you know that make a forum for you). And, they have 16x as many people registered at phpbb.

You can't just expect MyBB to become #1. phpBB has been around for a long time and gained a huge following.

You seriously gonna tell me that 5yrs isnt enough? Come on now. Sorry but there is no reason why the best free forum script doesnt have the #1 spot or heck even #2 in popularity.

Some of you guys REALLY need to wake up and smell the coffee.
(2009-07-28, 11:59 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]He's doing more than a lot of the people complaining. Most of the people who want plugins and themes are those who can't don't have the knowledge to make them. Scoutie I know you make themes so ya Toungue.

But, if you really think mybb needs so and so go make it. I know Brad has started working on a theme with combus. Lennart makes plugins.

Yes; he does make plugins. But his attitude is somewhat hypocritical to his actions. He makes plugins for the better, but then just says "Oh, well if you don't like it, don't use it! Then everyone's happy." or something to that effect.

I encourage the use of MyBB where I can, as nothing really compares to it. In fact, I was the one who assisted Taddy1449 with MyBB, now he designs themes. Not that it really has anything to do with the conversation though lol. Toungue

Harry, features mean nothing when someone else has the reputation. phpBB has been around for a little while longer than MyBB, and thus it is often referred to as 'the free forum software', although no one will deny that there are much better alternatives.
I don't think it's I who needs to wake up. I'm here aren't I?

But, they also had 5 years to grow more and considering they had a huge head start it was much easier to get the word out. Not to mention most noob admins don't care what which is better. They just look for what ever is the most popular and assume that's it, I mean it's the most popular so it must be the best Rolleyes.

Also it's not like from year 1 MyBB was the best. It has gotten a lot better too. I used phpbb for a little while after discovering MyBB. Plus, it's not like everyone knew MyBB around when it first came out either.

The problem is you can't just take developers from other boards. Why? Because they have most likely used what they have now for so long and know it so well they don't see the advantage of switching even though out of the box is 10x better.
(2009-07-29, 12:10 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-28, 11:59 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]He's doing more than a lot of the people complaining. Most of the people who want plugins and themes are those who can't don't have the knowledge to make them. Scoutie I know you make themes so ya Toungue.

Yes; he does make plugins. But his attitude is somewhat hypocritical to his actions. He makes plugins for the better, but then just says "Oh, well if you don't like it, don't use it! Then everyone's happy." or something to that effect.

I encourage the use of MyBB where I can, as nothing really compares to it. In fact, I was the one who assisted Taddy1449 with MyBB, now he designs themes. Not that it really has anything to do with the conversation though lol. Toungue

Harry, features mean nothing when someone else has the reputation. phpBB has been around for a little while longer than MyBB, and thus it is often referred to as 'the free forum software', although no one will deny that there are much better alternatives.

It is not just about features ( granted MYBB has a big edge on that ) it is about the software AND support. You get BOTH here. And i know from being a active member at a few admin sites that this IS what most people are looking for but yet they are not here.

(2009-07-29, 12:11 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it's I who needs to wake up. I'm here aren't I?

But, they also had 5 years to grow more and considering they had a huge head start it was much easier to get the word out. Not to mention most noob admins don't care what which is better. They just look for what ever is the most popular and assume that's it, I mean it's the most popular so it must be the best Rolleyes.

Also it's not like from year 1 MyBB was the best. It has gotten a lot better too. I used phpbb for a little while after discovering MyBB. Plus, it's not like everyone knew MyBB around when it first came out either.

The problem is you can't just take developers from other boards. Why? Because they have most likely used what they have now for so long and know it so well they don't see the advantage of switching even though out of the box is 10x better.

Alot of good points. Still though 5yrs should be plenty of time and keep in mind we are not just comparing to PHPBB as there is SMF etc as well.

I have wondered as well if the familularity part has a bit to do with why some have stuck with those crappy softwares. But then again i believe ALL ( except vB ) has recently released MAJOR releases and thus total changes to the code which means learning it all over again. So i am not certain i would put it all on that. Thing is figuring out ways to make MYBB more attractive to such people. Thus the thread and many other suggestion threads as of late. One thing for sure and that is that the status quo is NOT working and so new ideas are the next best bet. Thats my opinion anyways. Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14