MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Anything big in Mybb's future?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
You could make any forum software look better than XenForo if you have the right theme.
I find XenForo's theme/style to be lacking, honestly.

I gave Invision a try a while ago under their demo, the Admin-CP is very much like MyBB.

Which makes it easy transition there or vice-versa, but user-interface wise I find MyBB a lot more fluid, user-friendly, and modern.

Are there big things for MyBB's future?

I'm looking forward to 2.0, even if it's 2-3 years from now.

But I don't see MyBB being the worse either or on the decline.

I've considered XenForo & Invision for a performance improvement, but since I've been able to work it out in MyBB, I'm definitely going to stay.

I really find it a lot friendlier to both the users & the administration.
XenForo makes a big impact the first time you use it, but after browsing an XF board for ten minutes I was really damn sick of all the animations and "flashiness." There's some good ideas in there for sure, and I would appreciate it if those animations helped in the way of user interaction, but I don't really find that they do. At all.
MyBB is what you make it. It's the most customizable of any forum script I used.
(2011-04-18, 08:55 PM)Jammerx2 Wrote: [ -> ]You could make any forum software look better than XenForo if you have the right theme.

This.
(2011-04-18, 11:12 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is what you make it. It's the most customizable of any forum script I used.

This.
This question is an interesting one. I think there will be a lot of factors that will go into deciding whether or not MyBB is successful in the future.

One thing I've found MyBB to be lacking is it's ability for continuity. How will MyBB ensure it's sustainability in the 1-3 year range. On small teams like these undertaking huge projects like MyBB and it's child projects, it becomes so easy to get caught up in all the little logistics and administrative tasks that it seems to quickly lead teams to loose focus of the big picture.

I think it would be smart for MyBB to take a step back and think about future trends and where they are leading too and how they factor into MyBB's future.
(2011-04-19, 04:09 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]I think it would be smart for MyBB to take a step back and think about future trends and where they are leading too and how they factor into MyBB's future.

The trouble with future trends is nobody knows what they are. Who would have thought back in 2007 that Twitter would be making 65 million tweets a day? Every conference I go to, there's always something different or is "the next big thing".

To be honest though, I agree. I wouldn't be at all surprised that the plans we've laid out over the past 12 months change going through development. I'm not sure if you've seen Justin's latest work, but he's made a fantastic job of incorporating those "future trends" without losing MyBB's core appeal of being forum software.
(2011-04-18, 11:12 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is what you make it. It's the most customizable of any forum script I used.

Exactly what I wanted to say, you stole it. Big Grin

It's My Bulletin Board for a reason. It's yours. You make it what you want, you customise it how you want. If you want different styles, then simply make different styles, different features, we've got countless of developers and you can even pay for some.

You must remember, MyBB is a free software with under 10-15 developers I believe, vBulletin has hundreds of people part of their team working and getting paid, that's why they're upgrading.

XenForo, what can I say. Looks good on the outside, after 15 minutes in the admin panel, I requested a refund. With all of it's flashiness and extreme-overuse of jQuery, it remove the user-friendliness of MyBB.
I've never seen the admin panel tbh
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9