MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Critique my New Thread page?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Okay that sounds awesome brad. Looking forward to it Smile
Something else I'm working on ... having a bit harder time doing something cool with this, but oh well. I'm sort of limited by MyBB's PM system, here.

[Image: NbL3gl.png]

Buddy list is loaded in an iframe on the side. Avatar is faded out when user is offline.
If you add a gradient, you have to add them all over the place. Looks good as it is IMO.
Gradient would not look good on this IMO.

PM system also looks good but yeah limited on that one too. Would love to see you do something with the search tool.
(2012-06-14, 03:36 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I am using #CC0000.

Probably just PS7 being funky with multi-monitor/gamma/all that crap then.

Quote:As for gradients ... there's no gradients anywhere on my site. To suddenly start inserting gradients would look really out of place. It looks unfinished to you simply because everybody else is using gradients.

In the context of the rest of the theme it probably looks good. On it's own it just seemed kind of rough, and I guess the reason gradients are so prevalent is that it softens up the look in a very easy to implement way.

Perhaps what it needs is a 1px #B00 border, similar to how the white parts have their border? Or maybe a white border like the buttons, but without the drop shadow to differentiate it from them. It just needs something to help the title feel like it's supposed to be separate from the rest of the page. Right now it kind of merges in with the background while the rest of the box has it's clear visual divider, which kind of confuses things since the box is supposed to be visually one entity (albeit with two parts).
Sorry Firestryke, which element are you talking about exactly? What needs a border?

(2012-06-15, 02:53 PM)Roach Wrote: [ -> ]PM system also looks good but yeah limited on that one too. Would love to see you do something with the search tool.

Such as?
The thead could use it. I don't know what it 'needs,' it just feels a little like there's supposed to be something more, like the page isn't finished loading. A border might help show that it's supposed to be like that, and it doesn't have to be too dark, just enough to help separate it from the rest of the page flow.
I understand what you mean. I'll try some things.
I want!
I wish I could just release the whole theme as a "learning document", but

a) People would definitely use the theme on its own with no changes, thus basically stealing my work
b) It's actually an adapted version of Ferron's Block & Blue, which means I don't have full rights to it
c) There's so much hard-coded language in here that it would be a pain in the lime to work on

However, I'll do my best to make some of the best individual templates in here available.

Some fun stuff using template conditionals:

[Image: OCmJP.png]

When there's an unread message, Inbox becomes bolded and displays the unread amount. Otherwise, normal text and no number shown.

Border-left applied to currently-viewing folder.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11