MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Critique my New Thread page?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2012-06-14, 11:22 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Buddy list is loaded in an iframe on the side. Avatar is faded out when user is offline.

oh god

it looks excellent though

I must say the extensive use of CAPS makes me feel shouted at, but that's probably just me and mainly due to these screenshots only being a portion of the screen.

I also feel that the "POST IT!" button should be a different color to make it stand out. I know it's larger for this reason, but a color change may help too.

Terminology regarding signature and smiley disabling could also use rewording, as it may be unclear to new users.

Also, since you're seeking simplification, you may want to look into making the poll options dynamically appear on the same page (or in a popup within the page). The way MyBB does it now is rather counter intuitive.

Those are just possible adjustments, but there's really nothing wrong with what you have now. Good job.
Scoutie, if you have a better solution than using an iframe I'd seriously like to know it. This just seemed to be the simplest way to do it. Surprisingly, iframes seem to be coming back into vogue ...

With regards to caps, they're used all over the site for stylistic effect haha: http://harajuju.net

For the poll options ... I would love to do that -- but I have no clue how. My skills as a developer are very poor. I'm a UX guy doing design because I have to.
I think it looks really nice, you've done a good job with the design! Smile
(2012-06-17, 03:40 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Scoutie, if you have a better solution than using an iframe I'd seriously like to know it. This just seemed to be the simplest way to do it. Surprisingly, iframes seem to be coming back into vogue ...

My only suggestion would be to use some underlying PHP, printing the list of buddies via a variable. You'd also have more control over the output.

Quote:With regards to caps, they're used all over the site for stylistic effect haha: http://harajuju.net

Yeah, I know. Just in an area filled with mostly text and little color/breakups, it felt weird. Never mind, though.

Quote:For the poll options ... I would love to do that -- but I have no clue how. My skills as a developer are very poor. I'm a UX guy doing design because I have to.

Me neither, to be honest. I'm not good with JS/AJAX (and hate it anyhow)..
Hope nobody minds if I dump WIP stuff in here ...

usercp.php

[Image: RjGUAl.png]
[Image: Y2t8El.png]

done with this plugin: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthre...271&page=1
Damn brad. I'd love your work to become core at some point haha. Great looking stuff with the UCP as usual.
(2012-06-13, 02:44 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]Have you looked at Simon's Advanced WYSIWYG Editor? I haven't used it myself but it looks pretty solid.

I have it installed on my forum, and it works like a charm! It's very professional looking and you can switch between the source and the editor portion. I love it.
(2012-06-19, 10:15 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Damn brad. I'd love your work to become core at some point haha. Great looking stuff with the UCP as usual.

I am always available if MyBB wants someone to work on UX. :3 You can say this now, but you'd shake your head if you saw my code probably haha
Code doesn't matter that much for a front end designer IMO. I know plenty of designers who don't code at all.
yes, but i had to code this!! haha

maybe someday i'll hire a developer to audit my code ...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11