MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyAlerts Public Beta 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
After along time developing this and testing it on my personal site, it's time for the first public beta of MyAlerts. One thing to make clear straight away is that this plugin is not yet quite complete. There's still a heck of a lot of stuff I want to add but I need to test this thing on a few different platforms. Also realize that this is still a beta and as such I make no guarantees. If you install it on a live site and mess your site up, don't say I didn't warn you about the beta quality of this release.

Anyway, onwards. This release has many of the alert types I want to add (though a few such as when reputation is added and when somebody replies to a subscribed topic are still to be added before the final release), here's a lsit of the current actions alerts are received for:
  • When you're quoted in a post
  • When somebody replies to a thread you started
  • When somebody adds you to their buddylist
  • When somebody PMs you

All of these alert types can be toggled on and off from within the settings and I plan to add user controls to enable/disable alert types before the final release too.

This plugin does currently rely on jQuery but it handles it all for you. Hopefully MyBB 1.8 will either be in the beta stages by the time of the final release or will have been released itself so I don't have to worry about including jQuery.

MyAlerts also depends on frostschutz's PluginLibrary (http://community.mybb.com/thread-87399.html) to function.

Common Questions

Where can I view all my Alerts?

Alerts can be viewed at misc.php?action=myalerts

Future Features

In the future I plan to add several extra features not currently implemented or finished:
  • A task to prune old alerts from the database - the alerts table can fill extremely quickly as it stands due to the nature of the system
  • Ability for users to manually delete alerts
  • User options for when to receive alerts
  • Enhanced Alerts listing page (it's kind of basic right now)

Feedback

I'd really love feedback on current features and what other features people want to see from this plugin. So far the community response has been amazing with a few pull requests at github and a lot of people joining in testing the system on my demo board. This plugin was created based on community feedback and I'll continue to work on it based on that ongoing feedback.

Download

Finally, here it is. As said at the start, I really don't advise using the plugin on a live board just yet. Use it on your local installs and test boards as much as you like though and report back with any issues you encounter.

[attachment=26807]
Definitely going to test this out, great job. Smile
Thanks a lot! Be sure to report bugs either here, on http://mybb.euantor.com or at the github project: https://github.com/euantor/MyAlerts
Would check it out over localhost. Maybe use in future over UB when it's stable. Thank you. Smile
Thanks Euan!
Going to test this out new, sounds good!
When I go to install it, I get a blank error message:
Hmmmm. Have you got pluginlibrary installed? Also, make sure you've uploaded the language files properly. The only other thing that could cause that is if you haven't uploaded the Alerts.class.php file to /inc/plugins/MyAlerts/.
(2012-07-12, 04:00 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmmm. Have you got pluginlibrary installed? Also, make sure you've uploaded the language files properly. The only other thing that could cause that is if you haven't uploaded the Alerts.class.php file to /inc/plugins/MyAlerts/.

Nope no plugin library installed. And not plugins that I think would clash, here's the list:

Announcement
ezGallery Lite
Fit On Page
Page Manager
Profile Comments
Registration Security Question
Top Posters

I have other plugins that are not installed or activated.
Ah, you need to have PluginLibrary for this plugin to work.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19