MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Designers: What do you do when you find a forum that removed your copyright?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I know that the MyBB team has the right to take legal action, but what about something much smaller such as a skin or something.

I've been to boards where my skin is there and my copyright has been completely removed. Its like scraping off the signature on a painting. And no, I mean that a bit lighter, but even still.

What does the MyBB Team think? Other designers? Members who use the services? Tell me what you think, I don't know what I have the right to do or if I should just accept it as something I can't help.
Thats is wrong dude
PM the admin, that is what I do when I find they've removed my copyright. Tell them to put it back or else. I've always gotten mine back. Don't let 'em get away with it.
No, what if they dont put it back. Most people that I tell to put back said that it was an accident, they didn't notice, etc. But there are still those few who don't.
Audentio Wrote:Its like scraping off the signature on a painting.
I think that is a brilliant analogy. It's your copyright and it should be respected. If you have a good enough license behind the copyright then you can threaten them with legal action.
Well...normally I begin with a contact and if I don't hear back soon then I start with the insane talk. Also feel free to join their site and make posts about the owner being a copyright infringer. Make yourself a nuisance to the person basically. Let them know you will be working to get them banned from Google (you can do it) and from their ISP (hosts will remove accounts shown to break copyright). Suing isn't really an option but you can certaintly make yourself a thorn in their side. Attempt to be professional in your correspondence too. Try not to sound like a bratty 12 year old if possible. Be polite, be professional, but be stern. Explain that your goal is to have them place the copyright back and you will then leave them alone. It's a small request really.
Same as what labrocca said but I go to the extreme sometimes and spam bot there forums (for those phpbb and vB users) I make themes on 3 types of forums Toungue
Jag100 Wrote:Same as what labrocca said but I go to the extreme sometimes and spam bot there forums (for those phpbb and vB users) I make themes on 3 types of forums Toungue

Well normally you don't have to go that far and also two wrongs don't make a right.
labrocca Wrote:
Jag100 Wrote:Same as what labrocca said but I go to the extreme sometimes and spam bot there forums (for those phpbb and vB users) I make themes on 3 types of forums Toungue

Well normally you don't have to go that far and also two wrongs don't make a right.

Understand what you mean but it annoys me when stuff like this happens. This was on the news today as a UK girl who posted a pic made by her and got featured on a US DVD cover without permisson. so its copyright or spam
Isn't that illegal without permission copyright i mean. Also why make a bot for checking all mybb sites to see if the copyright information on your skin is there?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10