MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Designers: What do you do when you find a forum that removed your copyright?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DrPoodle Wrote:
hemi Wrote:
Quote:Where else are you going to post it dumb*uc*

And since when has this been allowed? That looks like we allow people to be de-graded too...
That's the reason I said the thread was getting out of hand.

Sorry guys but he hit a nerve I can't believe he was talking about infringing the authors credit or copyright. These days if you find something for free there is a catch such as authors credit or copyright and yes that's the downside of having it "free". Whereas if you pay fair enough you have shown your appreciation and with permission you may remove the credits or copyright.

voronv Wrote:
Kerrang! Wrote:It's down to theme designer to choose if to add a copyright line or not. just like it's your choice to use it or not.
Which hopefully would be not. (for those who don't respect it)

No objection to above said.

And, BTW, I have an answer to that person with no manners : where else to post your works if you want to sell it? -Try eBay.

"I say: it is wrong BY MY OPINION to place a copyright sign on a theme if you posted it on a public forum and encouraged others to use it."

Excuse me but I'm not the one without manners suggesting that it's ok to remove authors credit/copyright.
And when did I ever mention SELLING themes?
Audentio Wrote:
voronv Wrote:And, BTW, I have an answer to that person with no manners : where else to post your works if you want to sell it? -Try eBay.
Dont know who you are directing this at, but it seems to me, that he person causing the rudeness is you, no offense of course.

It was probably a reply to this post:
Quote:Where else are you going to post it dumb*
Kames, you really need to stop replying if you can't keep your temper in check. State your opinion but stop attacking people! And by the way, it WAS very unmannerly of you to start name calling.
I was merely defending myself regards to their unnecessary sarcastic comment.
I'm not attacking people directly, just one person in general.
I apologise for "name calling" however I felt it was necessary at the time.
I'm sorry but I just don't tolerate people who infringe authors copyright/credit.
Simply put...

If the designer releases a theme for free, and they require you to leave the copyright, then leave it.

If you don't want to do so, then don't use their theme. And by removing the copyright it seems like you made the theme, when you did not. And in the event that you do some major changes to the theme, add another line to the copyright saying "Customized By: ____" That way you get credit for the changes you made.

Whether it's ok to add a copyright or not, is entirely up to the person who made it, as someone mentioned earlier on. And it's just a small link on the footer. Even some paid themes leave the copyright. Why? Because the person who made it still wants credit for it.
I think theme designers deserve to have their credits left on a theme (so long as it's not intrusive or glaringly obvious in large font) as they've worked hard on it.

However, there is a post I've found wonderfully helpful for matters about copyright/credits removal under a GPL license that hopefully might make interesting reading for some. It's a blog post called Price of Freedom by Photo Matt aka. Matt Mullenweg, founder of Wordpress, which many will know of and use, which can be found here: http://photomatt.net/2007/07/16/price-of-freedom/

I would encourage everyone to read the post in full, but the key points that really strike me are:
Matt Mullenweg Wrote:If you accept that bad people are going to be bad then the real question becomes how do you maximize the effect of the good instead of treating them just like the bad. (No one likes to be treated like a criminal.)

In my brief experience here’s three things that work:

1. Give people the tools they need to succeed. This can be interpreted on a lot of levels, but personally I’ve found at the most base the freedoms provided by the GPL and other open source licenses are incredibly empowering.
2. Celebrate the successes. Talk, connect, promote, and embrace the people who are creating things on top of your creation. (The best revenge against someone doing something bad is helping create something awesome.)
3. Provide a way for people to choose to help you, and try to remove as much friction from that process as possible. Now that you’ve ignored the bad people and delighted the good, by their very nature they’ll want to give something back.
flick Wrote:However, there is a post I've found wonderfully helpful for matters about copyright/credits removal under a GPL license that hopefully might make interesting reading for some. It's a blog post called Price of Freedom by Photo Matt aka. Matt Mullenweg, founder of Wordpress, which many will know of and use, which can be found here: http://photomatt.net/2007/07/16/price-of-freedom/

I would encourage everyone to read the post in full...

I did exactly that (read in full that great blog) and I would say you this: I feel I'd be better understood if expressed my thoughts THERE.
Besides the great citation provided by you I have found a couple more that are amazingly in sync with my own beliefs, for example:

"James: Again, attribution is one thing. Every designer/developer should receive the credit that is due to them. However, designers and developers do not have the right to prevent users from changing the code other than the source code credits. Users don’t even have to retain the link back to the designer’s or developer’s site. They only have to retain the source code credits."
well maybe the designers should just add screenshots of the theme and then when some1 want to have it , simply he send a pm to the creator and the creator will send the theme , in this way the creator will protect his workss more , per example if someone made a theme for my site i make him a moderator or admin and i leave the copyright , like the theme that i am currently using , my users opened a thread and thanked the creator for making the theme Wink
justjad, while that sounds like a good idea, it creates a lot of work for the designer. As they have to keep responding to the PMs and eventually someone will leak out the theme anyway, and the people wanting to get rid of the copyrights will do it anyway.
mm but its much better
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10