MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Designers: What do you do when you find a forum that removed your copyright?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Being some one who's reported this sort of thing before to the themer, I'm strongly against although. I can honestly admit, I have made the mistake of removing the link (by mistake). As you're aware audentio but I think if it's case of blatant removal contact them and do whatever it takes to get credit.

I'm a supportive person myself and I've shown appreciate for those I respect, If I use a skin the copyright stays unless I pay to remove it. (which I haven't done) <-- well not on purpose, you know?
~Kerrang!
Well, Ive been to around 3. One of the ones that took of my copyright goes to this board and runs a warez forum. Ive contacted him many times. But warez is a subject I know very little about. Unless Im mistaken, its illegal. So why havent all these big name companies sued them or whatever. A small skin copyright won't make a difference. Sad

And Joey, mistakes happen, I hold no grudges on accidents, think nothing of it, this is asking about the people who actually know what they are doing when they remove it.
King Damion Wrote:Isn't that illegal without permission copyright i mean. Also why make a bot for checking all mybb sites to see if the copyright information on your skin is there?

Illegal yes. As a practical matter, of course, enforcing a claim may be expensive, as is showing a financial loss unless you charge for your intellectual property.

As a starting point, if you have a problem of this sort, and the offender won't restore the copyright, contact that offender's host (if there is one) and see if that helps.
Oh I know buddy.

I was just throwing in my two cents, I remember seeing similar discussions on ipbeyond and I think it came down to court and money (otherwise not much) and I do also recall someone mentioning contacting the webhost (if hosted) or server company (if renting) but I don't see them doing much or getting involved.

Mike, I guess you're right but still these things shouldn't be removed. (it's a shame some people don't understand respect) which basically this is an issue of.

Kudos,
~Joey

P.s Maybe one of the MyBB team could help shed some light?
It's happened to me, So I stopped releasing any themes I had planned and pulled the current one. I also pulled my theme because people were copying the colors right down to the outline border colors and making similar buttons, then changing the images and calling it there own (Images still resembling mine to a degree), after I spent hours (Maybe more like days buy the time I was done) making sure all my colors were spot on and looked good. Basically stealing my ideas. So since you can't copyright anything but graphics, I said screw it. Not worth my time headache or effort to deal with scum like that.

However, I encourage everyone else to keep making those themes.. As some designers are used to dealing with these issues frequently and also may have more tolerance of others and situations like that than I.

Also, if you make themes, little secret, google your themes copyright to see who is using your themes. For example, type in Audentio into google and see what you find Big Grin I typed in my real name and I was surprised to see a few still using my theme, one forum was actually pretty freaking big and I was digging it. Big Grin

Bottom line, you make the theme and put it out there, you will "ALWAYS" find someone using it illegally and flipping you the finger when you asked them to put it back. And, if they're from a country that could give a rats lime about internet or copyright laws the reality is, expect it. It will happen. There's a certain "something to be said" about people who donate their time to free projects for the better of the community. Usually these people are giving people, some us it as a negative motive, but most don't. If that's where your heart is, then greatness to you for being so considerate, kind and giving to your fellow humans.

My long 2 cents

Reason for edit: "Edited spelling error"
King Damion Wrote:Isn't that illegal without permission copyright i mean.

Have you read one single thread before replying?

Quote: And, if they're from a country that could give a rats lime about internet or copyright laws the reality is, expect it.

True but MOST people host in the USA because it's cheaper. And the threat of getting them banned in the search engines is real. If you get them banned from the SERPs...their site is useless and they know it. Smile
labrocca Wrote:

Quote: And, if they're from a country that could give a rats lime about internet or copyright laws the reality is, expect it.

True but MOST people host in the USA because it's cheaper. And the threat of getting them banned in the search engines is real. If you get them banned from the SERPs...their site is useless and they know it. Smile

Yes Sir, your also correct my friend Wink

The point I was trying to make is there will always be someone who will do it. Smile And get by with it. There's also people who will push the limits of legal and illegal. Take the ROLEX incidents. Foriegn countries selling someones name(Replica phony products). And no one doing nothing about it. You just can't win them all Smile
hemi Wrote:
labrocca Wrote:

The point I was trying to make is there will always be someone who will do it. Smile And get by with it. There's also people who will push the limits of legal and illegal. Take the ROLEX incidents. Foriegn countries selling someones name(Replica phony products). And no one doing nothing about it. You just can't win them all Smile

YES I HAVE
King Damion Wrote:
hemi Wrote:
labrocca Wrote:

YES I HAVE

Why are you yelling? And what about? O.o
labrocca Wrote:Well...normally I begin with a contact and if I don't hear back soon then I start with the insane talk. Also feel free to join their site and make posts about the owner being a copyright infringer. Make yourself a nuisance to the person basically. Let them know you will be working to get them banned from Google (you can do it) and from their ISP (hosts will remove accounts shown to break copyright). Suing isn't really an option but you can certaintly make yourself a thorn in their side. Attempt to be professional in your correspondence too. Try not to sound like a bratty 12 year old if possible. Be polite, be professional, but be stern. Explain that your goal is to have them place the copyright back and you will then leave them alone. It's a small request really.

Exactly what I did. Some guy tried to copy my site with the same name and all. The key is not to threaten but to get peace. Be kind and they'll do what you say. being rough and threatening isn't a great start, they'll continue to bother you just for the heck of it. Be straight forward tell them what you want without putting up a fight. Someone has to win, and it could be you if your the mature one.
Kind Regards.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10