MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Designers: What do you do when you find a forum that removed your copyright?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Quote:removal of copyright, not the morality of copyright

Impossible to seperate the two, Obviously if someone removes the copyright it becomes a moral issue/as well as a legal one possibly. They really are one in the same in the context they are being used here. When your asking for a answer to this paticular question, your addressing a moral issue which does open the door to moral opinions for answers. O.o
Quote:Where else are you going to post it dumb*uc*

And since when has this been allowed? That looks like we allow people to be de-graded too...
hemi Wrote:

And since when has this been allowed? That looks like we allow people to be de-graded too...

This has gone on for far too long.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a matter of common sense. You use a theme, a mod, and a free forum system and you let these people have their copyright notices appear. It's just a few lines of small type at the bottom of the page. Why should it be such a big deal? They deserve the right to be recognized for their good work, particularly when you find it good enough to use on your site. And if someone gets a gig as a result, "play it forward!" I'm happy for them.

For those who want to check us out, here are my three MyBB forums:

www.theparacast.com/forums

www.techbroadcasting.com/forums

www.rockoids.com/forums

As you see, we offer either one or several themes on these boards, and each and every one of them has the requisite copyright notices -- and ours too of course Smile

Why is there need of any further discussion?
voronv Wrote:
rcpalace Wrote:Many and I mean Many people out their want free. Now, Chris and the rest of the staff used their spare time to develop mybb. It can take months just get it started. After all this work Yes, I would want something in return.

Don't you know the difference between the open source and shareware concept? I have a doubt that you may not know it.

Yes, we all appreciate their work. And all these postings "Ah, this's so beautiful" are nothing less than demonstration of our tributes and appreciation. You want more? - Go commercial. Don't mix a pleasure and a business.

I do know what the difference is, thanks for asking. If you ever develop a script and you simply do careless about having your users leaving back a copyright that's your choice. However, each company have their own rules and regulations for using a service. I really don't want to argue, I'm working right now and having the computer on effects my pay check.
Kind Regards.
For the record, I'm all for copyrights and credits. I too designed once and felt I should be credited. As a matter of fact I found some others using my old theme when doing a search using the copyright.Smile Some people just don't follow the rules or appreciate the hard work derived from hours of knocking your brain around unfortunatly.. Sad

I still feel this was a good topic for discussion, It can be searched and researched.. Smile
hemi Wrote:

That's the reason I said the thread was getting out of hand.
voronv Wrote:
Audentio Wrote:Perhaps I misunderstand, but...People placing their opinions on someones work is completely different than the actual piece of work holding an acknowledgment to the creator.

Dear Audentio, you just don't get it.

I say: it is wrong BY MY OPINION to place a copyright sign on a theme if you posted it on a public forum and encouraged others to use it.

What do you want to achive by doing that?
You want to advertise your works to your business clients ("please visit such and such site to see my work...")? Then you have to disclose it in your theme's license agreement otherwise what moral right would you have to accuse others in dishonesty?

And, after all, the users of your themes are actually developers or even programmers, same as you are. Offering them your help and then charging for it is similar to abusing your junior brothers.

I'm a professional programmer and I have shared thousands of ideas and pieces of a code. What, if colleague comes to me and asks for help then I need to tell him: yes, I can help you only if you tell my manager that it was my idea? Is this right?

I guess, the copyright sign is too strong tool to be used here. I wish there were some other, lighter signs for IT industry, like "Based on ideas" or "Design Ideas Of", do you undestand what I mean? It would be like wearing the dress with the label:" Designed by Valentino" or "Designed in Paris". Who would want to hide it?
Many things hold a copyright notice and I can name at least 7 programs which have it visible and with a link to there site. Really if you nor others can't respect or pay to remove it then you shouldn't use those themes which the creators choose to put it on. simple?

It's down to theme designer to choose if to add a copyright line or not. just like it's your choice to use it or not.

Which hopefully would be not. (for those who don't respect it)
~Kerrang!
Kerrang! Wrote:It's down to theme designer to choose if to add a copyright line or not. just like it's your choice to use it or not.

No objection to above said.

But if one side wants to save money on paid advertisements through(mis)using the public domain sites then the other side's effort to cut expenses looks very much justified.

And, BTW, I have an answer to that person with no manners : where else to post your works if you want to sell it? -Try eBay.

Ecommerce normally should be prohibited in any form on open source and public domain sites. If only I'm not awared and you make generous donations to this site and its founders let you do what you do because of this.
voronv Wrote:And, BTW, I have an answer to that person with no manners : where else to post your works if you want to sell it? -Try eBay.
Dont know who you are directing this at, but it seems to me, that he person causing the rudeness is you, no offense of course.

voronv Wrote:Ecommerce normally should be prohibited in any form on open source and public domain sites. If only I'm not awared and you make generous donations to this site and its founders let you do what you do because of this.

Since no one is going to say it, I will. I think you need to reread the thread because no where in this thread, nor on this forum or anywhere near this forum, are there signs asking you to donate to the designers or developers. Chris Boulton and his team have a donations page, and most designers do. People like firefoxwiz and myself who do free premade and custom themes don't receive a dime off of the skins we make. There are other designers as well. Furthermore, none of us have a "donate to use before you download this skin or use our services".

In my very humble opinion, MyBB is the very last place that flames including payments should be discussed XD

DrPoodle Wrote:Also, this thread is starting to get out of hand. The topic is about the removal of copyright, not the morality of copyright. If you want to discuss that then please create a new thread.

My apologies! Perhaps we can change the title of the thread? Im sure everyone will tone it down.
voronv Wrote:
Kerrang! Wrote:It's down to theme designer to choose if to add a copyright line or not. just like it's your choice to use it or not.

No objection to above said.

But if one side wants to save money on paid advertisements through(mis)using the public domain sites then the other side's effort to cut expenses looks very much justified.

And, BTW, I have an answer to that person with no manners : where else to post your works if you want to sell it? -Try eBay.

Ecommerce normally should be prohibited in any form on open source and public domain sites. If only I'm not awared and you make generous donations to this site and its founders let you do what you do because of this.
It's somewhat amusing that you now choose to take the moral high ground.

Speaking off manors don't you at least consider it rude to remove something which isn't legally yours? you're just borrowing the theme for free, you should be content enough with just that and regarding rudeness I think if we took votes you'd win every vote. (except your own)
~Kerrang!

P.s I'm not trying to offend you in anyway, but it's either a free theme or a very expensive price.. I know which I'd value and appreciate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10