MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Designers: What do you do when you find a forum that removed your copyright?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
King Damion Wrote:Isn't that illegal without permission copyright i mean. Also why make a bot for checking all mybb sites to see if the copyright information on your skin is there?

look i did
Please people stay on-topic.
rcpalace Wrote:Many and I mean Many people out their want free. Now, Chris and the rest of the staff used their spare time to develop mybb. It can take months just get it started. After all this work Yes, I would want something in return.

Don't you know the difference between the open source and shareware concept? I have a doubt that you may not know it.

Yes, we all appreciate their work. And all these postings "Ah, this's so beautiful" are nothing less than demonstration of our tributes and appreciation. You want more? - Go commercial. Don't mix a pleasure and a business.
voronv Wrote:Yes, we all appreciate their work. And all these postings "Ah, this's so beautiful" are nothing less than demonstration of our tributes and appreciation. You want more? - Go commercial. Don't mix a pleasure and a business.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but...People placing their opinions on someones work is completely different than the actual piece of work holding an acknowledgment to the creator. It doesn't matter where you go, you will not find a person who does not want credit for their hard work. It doesn't matter if its a photo or a time-staking complicated piece of software, copyrights not only show that the piece of work has an owner, but it also gives credit to either the owner, the actual creator, or in most cases, both.

And this bot, this sounds like a great idea, I can't imagine this idea actually available and it not known by me XD. With all my time with forums, I never heard of such a thing. I always thought copyright infringement was caught only by noble people reporting the infringer...

One more thing regarding copyrights. I learned how to encrypt content and base it off a main source so that if the content is altered, the source would not load. Now I wouldn't say its impossible to do to my themes, and if Im not mistaken, MyBB has something similar on their copyright, but it is not my place to make the software not work just for editing my copyright, and Im not going to try it.
Audentio Wrote:Perhaps I misunderstand, but...People placing their opinions on someones work is completely different than the actual piece of work holding an acknowledgment to the creator.

Dear Audentio, you just don't get it.

I say: it is wrong BY MY OPINION to place a copyright sign on a theme if you posted it on a public forum and encouraged others to use it.

What do you want to achive by doing that?
You want to advertise your works to your business clients ("please visit such and such site to see my work...")? Then you have to disclose it in your theme's license agreement otherwise what moral right would you have to accuse others in dishonesty?

And, after all, the users of your themes are actually developers or even programmers, same as you are. Offering them your help and then charging for it is similar to abusing your junior brothers.

I'm a professional programmer and I have shared thousands of ideas and pieces of a code. What, if colleague comes to me and asks for help then I need to tell him: yes, I can help you only if you tell my manager that it was my idea? Is this right?

I guess, the copyright sign is too strong tool to be used here. I wish there were some other, lighter signs for IT industry, like "Based on ideas" or "Design Ideas Of", do you undestand what I mean? It would be like wearing the dress with the label:" Designed by Valentino" or "Designed in Paris". Who would want to hide it?
voronv Wrote:Dear Audentio, you just don't get it.
No, I fully understand, I just completely disagree.
voronv Wrote:I say: it is wrong BY MY OPINION to place a copyright sign on a theme if you posted it on a public forum and encouraged others to use it.

What do you want to achive by doing that?
You want to advertise your works to your business clients ("please visit such and such site to see my work...")? Then you have to disclose it in your theme's license agreement otherwise what moral right would you have to accuse others in dishonesty?

Unlike you, I have a job online. I make money off of my free services through sponsorships. People who see my copyright and really enjoy my work will contact me and sometimes pay me to make them a custom piece of work. Lots of people do this, in fact, I got so many, I had to close down free custom work for awhile since I was getting ten requests a week. I rarely advertise my services, this is all done through one single, hardly noticeable, piece of text in the footers of my templates and skins.

I cannot copyright everything visibly. The logos I make for free and the logos people pay me to do, I cannot stamp a watermark on there, nor would I want to.

Scripting is another thing...I would be willing to bet that you could not find a freelance coder who does not copyright his or her scripts.

The copyright is a way to show ownership as well as to show other people what you, or your company or business or forums or whatever, has to offer.

voronv Wrote:And, after all, the users of your themes are actually developers or even programmers, same as you are. Offering them your help and then charging for it is similar to abusing your junior brothers.

99% of the people who use my themes for vB, MyBB, phpBB, etc. have no idea what web development or programming is. Just because you are doesn't mean everyone else is. Wink

And I don't know where you get the idea that I charge people for my work...do you see any "Pay me before you get help" posts by me or any
"Pay me before you use this skin"? NO! I don't know where you got the idea that I charge for my stuff. I think you need to get your facts straight before you decide to call people out and name call.

MyBB staff has worked tirelessly on MyBB software, plugins, and perhaps even more so, support. Neither they, nor I, nor anyone else who offers support, demands money.

voronv Wrote:I'm a professional programmer and I have shared thousands of ideas and pieces of a code. What, if colleague comes to me and asks for help then I need to tell him: yes, I can help you only if you tell my manager that it was my idea? Is this right?

Er....?

voronv Wrote:I guess, the copyright sign is too strong tool to be used here. I wish there were some other, lighter signs for IT industry, like "Based on ideas" or "Design Ideas Of", do you undestand what I mean? It would be like wearing the dress with the label:" Designed by Valentino" or "Designed in Paris". Who would want to hide it?

Again...I have no idea what you are talking about...
Why was King Damion banned? Sorry for straying off topic I just didn't want to create an entirely new post to ask in the Chit-Chat forum.
@voronv

voronv Wrote:I say: it is wrong BY MY OPINION to place a copyright sign on a theme if you posted it on a public forum and encouraged others to use it...

Just a good job its just YOUR opinion then not everyone's because the majority are generours and thoughtful of other peoples hard work.

Where else are you going to post it dumb*uc*, through the mail? I can guarantee that the best way to release your theme/work for internet software like MyBB is through a forum, publicy for those seeking their desired theme
Now, there's no reason to get nasty! He does have a right to his own opinion, and some of it does make sense. People are so quick to put the copyright symbol on everything they create, but I doubt any of them actually sent them off with the registration fee to get an official copyright. Yes, I know that once created, all original works are "copyrighted" but unless you do it the legal way, there are loop holes. Not much you can do about it, really, since I doubt most of you have the money to hire a lawyer and try to track down someone online that "stole" your designs. Once you release it on a free site, it's pretty much up for grabs. Sad maybe, but true!
Sodacake Wrote:Why was King Damion banned? Sorry for straying off topic I just didn't want to create an entirely new post to ask in the Chit-Chat forum.
http://community.mybboard.net/search.php...r&uid=8936

Thats why.

Also, this thread is starting to get out of hand. The topic is about the removal of copyright, not the morality of copyright. If you want to discuss that then please create a new thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10