MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Designers: What do you do when you find a forum that removed your copyright?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
rcpalace Wrote:
ct2k7 Wrote:I will always find a place to put a little thankyou to the designer of the theme somewhere on my site.

I kinda now need a "a quick call to home" script for other projects as well. Anyone know how to make one?

Once I finish the script I can send a copy over to you. However, There are no guarantees on when it's finished. I have a huge project I'm working on that's consuming most of my time.
Kind Regards.

Thanks, if you need to beta test it, I'll be happy to.
FirefoxWiz Wrote:Ah, I'm being kinda lenient with the copyrights and not pressing it. I want people to modify and release my themes for the community.

I don't require them to keep the copyright on anymore. If they want, they can feel free to remove it.

I am doing it for the community. Maybe if enough people start to take my themes, modify them, and release them, the community will have more and more themes. Wink

You may not take as much pride or spend as much time as other people to want some sort of recognition on your work, but it is still disrespectful in my eyes.
Wow, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. LOL...My solution to this kind of thing is not to use any theme where a copyright in the footer is required. I could just imagine if everyone who created something that I used in my forum wanted that link. My footer would be a foot long. I don't think so. It's also pretty ridiculous to compare a theme or other coding to the mybb software itself. Of all of them, only mybb stands on its own as a software. Your themes and plugins wouldn't work without it, so I feel it is justified having a mybb link in my footer. Not saying that the themes and plugins aren't appreciated by those that use it. I appreciate every person that has created a plugin that I use on my forum. I just won't show that appreciation with a copyright link in my footer. Wink
Audentio Wrote:You may not take as much pride or spend as much time as other people to want some sort of recognition on your work, but it is still disrespectful in my eyes.
On the contrary, I spend a good amount of time on any of my free themes.
But one thing I will not do any longer is require a footer link, because it is pointless. Some people may want to keep it, some people might not like linking to another board, whatever the reason. It is there, but if people want to remove it that's fine with me.

I'm not creating these themes for my own benefit, so I see no reason to require the copyright. The themes are for the community, so the community can do what they will with them.

judel Wrote:Wow, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. LOL...My solution to this kind of thing is not to use any theme where a copyright in the footer is required. I could just imagine if everyone who created something that I used in my forum wanted that link. My footer would be a foot long. I don't think so. It's also pretty ridiculous to compare a theme or other coding to the mybb software itself. Of all of them, only mybb stands on its own as a software. Your themes and plugins wouldn't work without it, so I feel it is justified having a mybb link in my footer. Not saying that the themes and plugins aren't appreciated by those that use it. I appreciate every person that has created a plugin that I use on my forum. I just won't show that appreciation with a copyright link in my footer. Wink
Agreed. Smile
@ Judel. As said in many posts back, some of us work quite a lot on them. The better the graphics, complexity, usability, and design, the more time we've put into our works. I agree and disagree with you; yes, text in the footer can get annoying. However, not many plug-ins require links in the footer. I would like the users of my creations to leave a link back to my site for back-linking and that's all I ask. Some of my works don't require links back and some of them do. If a user of my works wants to remove the copyright from the footer they can pm me and I can discuss a way of doing so without any charge. I don't think using something is showing appreciation in this category. Someone is using it because he/she needs it and not to show appreciation. Appreciation is noting and giving credit to the designer/creator. Hence, the link back to Mybb, plug-in creators, and theme designers. If Mybb gave us the choice to remove the copyright link, do you think most of them here haven't done it already?
Kind Regards.
judel Wrote:Wow, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. LOL
State a reason to why it should be locked...I see no rule breaking or rude behavior (as of late).
judel Wrote:...My solution to this kind of thing is not to use any theme where a copyright in the footer is required. I could just imagine if everyone who created something that I used in my forum wanted that link. My footer would be a foot long. I don't think so. It's also pretty ridiculous to compare a theme or other coding to the mybb software itself. Of all of them, only mybb stands on its own as a software. Your themes and plugins wouldn't work without it, so I feel it is justified having a mybb link in my footer. Not saying that the themes and plugins aren't appreciated by those that use it. I appreciate every person that has created a plugin that I use on my forum. I just won't show that appreciation with a copyright link in my footer. Wink

The extent of work for the greater good of the community only goes so far. I wouldn't do skins if I didn't think that they were needed, as others Im sure would agree to. In other words, people aren't going to work to work, that concept falls short in life. Some do, I like to work sometimes just to say I did it, I like to go the extra mile, but it is not too much to ask if I receive some credit for my work is it? It isn't so much that I want to spoil the footer with links, all it is is credit, its standard in web design, is it not?

And FW, no disrespect intended, I am merely suggesting that there are people who spend solid weeks or more on certain themes and work to perfect it, and when someone takes their signature and removes it (sometimes even adding there own, people have done it to me right under my nose), I am sorry if I can't stand it. You know I love your work, I don't need to tell you that Toungue.
Well Audentio, it's a half a dozen of one and a half a dozen of the other. Some require links back and some don't. I think I commented before in this post about some of these issues. Here's how I see it. If someone has a business, makes a living of it, "graphics, coding, software applications etc...." They should and justifiably have a link, it's how they feed themselves. However, if you don't make a true living off of it, that means one other thing from my past experiences... They want the traffic. I've found many times this to be the case. Someone has a dead site and thinks the link will somehow breath life into their community like a miracle. Then they put ads on their site thinking they'll become rich when all they're doing is annoying people. Not all the times this is the case, but most I've found. Then they use the excuse they deserve credit. When all they're really doing is trying to make a buck off you. There's also the people that make a plug-in that isn't used in the forums index, yet they'll try and take that over too with a link, very greedy IMO. If I added a link for all my plug-ins on my front page, it'd look herrendous...

My point here is often it's an abused system. Again, not all the time, but very frequent it seems. I got so tired of the BS I just quit using anyones stuff that had ridicules requirements. Have I suffered? Well, no. Not at all Smile I just made my own Smile

On the flip side of this, I made a theme once... Next I knew, people were trying to copy the colors scheme, header design, make similar images etc.... and call it their own idea. I say NOT. The first time I made a theme for public use was the last. If your gonna make themes, be prepared to expect certain things. One is, MANY people will push the legal boundaries you set forth and some will outright break them with a smile on their face and middle finger in the air at you.... Laws from each country vary, because of this prosecution is almost impossible and allows much room for copyrights violations and abuses. So again, my point here is, reality says, your chances of everyone using your link is not very good. Should they do it? I agree 100 percent they should if the creator asks for it. If only everyone in the world was honest *sigh*

And btw Audentio, I respect very much what you've done for this community. VERY admirable.
Aw, thanks Hemi, and I must say I do not disagree with you, you are good with words. Some do it for advertising, its actually a business onto itself. Then it is not the best, but I do not deny I have used this tactic to earn a few bucks, as yes, this is my job. My free themes help bring in larger companies which help me to keep this job. For if they did not come, my dad would make me get a job at the movie theater or the BK down the street. Toungue

Thanks for that Hemi, great post.
I'm very split on this topic and I think it comes down to the site using it too. I mean I don't want a company coming in and taking a theme and removing my footer. That just shows their unprofessional and lazy.

But personal sites I don't really see it as a big deal as long as when people ask they don't say I made it.

I like to keep the footer links as I feel credit is deserved and should always be shown on the site using. But thats me and I don't really understand why people can't give credit back.

I see how its nice both ways but my final word would be keep the links in the footer. (You can alway edit how it is layed out(You can even have scroll so it takes up little no room))Wink
Or,

Quote:Power by MyBB
Copyright © 2002-2008 MyBB Group
Theme design by: text and blah | plugin creators
Make the plugin creators link click able or do this:

Quote:Power by MyBB
Copyright © 2002-2008 MyBB Group
Theme design by: text and blah | plugin creators: james, bob, joe, bobby flay, etc.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10