MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Designers: What do you do when you find a forum that removed your copyright?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
You are entitled to your own opinions, you don't need me to tell you that. So if you don't like the copyright and terms of use that comes with almost any service these days, (such as web templates, script creation, or toilet cleaning) then you also don't deserve the right to use that service, nor will you be permitted to if you should decide to mess with these terms of service, lest you want legal action taken...even though thousands get a way with it.

Skin creation is no different than any other service. Using MyBB software again, are you saying that your opinions believe that MyBB does not have the right to place their link in their footer as part of their terms of service?
I warn site's admin. We cant do anything more Sad So I usually dont share my work...
Audentio Wrote:are you saying that your opinions believe that MyBB does not have the right to place their link in their footer as part of their terms of service?

You r smart, really smart. You know how to shift accents, don't you?

The myBB software creatores are not Audentio: don't try to equalize yourself to those who share with no back thoughts. You and the like just capitalize on their work and your themes uploaded here is a part of your commercial strategy, you cannot fool everybody on what's your actual objectives are.
Not to start fights with anyone here, BUT... I feel you are jumping to conclusions voronv.

Sure by placing a link back to his site people might visit it and consider ordering something custom off him. But guess what? It takes time to create custom work, that's what he charges for. And yes copyright removal, but that's more of a donation.

Google for instance offers free services, like GMAIL etc. and guess what? They are making $. They place ads in those services to fund the free service. They would go broke if they offered an ad free e-mail service, you'd have to pay to use it. So if you don't want to pay you have to accept the ads. The same goes with these free public themes, if you want them, you have to cope with the copyright link.

And once again, I don't have anything against you, I just have a different opinion than you, and I think the example I mentioned got my point across.
PwnEm Wrote:Not to start fights with anyone here, BUT... I feel you are jumping to conclusions voronv.
Not quite so. You may find sort of confession made by somebody earlier in this thread. And you may see it again in replies to this post below.
PwnEm Wrote:Google for instance offers free services, like GMAIL etc. and guess what? They are making $.
Goggle is not a community site: it's supposed to make money.
Yes, their tactics is also based on bate, but I guess the difference is that the myBB site was never considered as a bate to be later transformed into a money machine. At least I see it this way.
PwnEm Wrote:And once again, I don't have anything against you, I just have a different opinion than you, and I think the example I mentioned got my point across.
I also am not against of freelancers. I was once a freelancer myself too. I also don't support the idea of removing the copyright signs from any kind of a published work (see my very 1st post on this thread: "I absolutely agree with the idea that everybody shall obey the copyright law"), so we absolutely agree on this, don't we? If you find it anywhere in my messages that I was encouraging anybody to remove the copyright signs from protected stuff, pls post it here. Otherwise it is a lie.

What we then disagree upon is that I oppose to the idea of publishing anything on community sites like this one under proprietary licenses. I would say NO to anything be allowed to get published here under conditions other then GNU GPL or Lesser GPL. Anywhere else, please. This is not the right place for profiteering, period.

I'm done on this thread and I am satisfied since I've got what I was looking for: the answer to my question: "why would those who create the stuff and post it on public forums obviously encouraging everybody to use it would want to impose the copyright protection on it?" And the answer was: they want to profiteer on it.
Their excuse is lovely, LOL: by them this site (mybboard.net) was created not for the purpose of letting people freely download myBB open-source software and sharing ideas on how to set up their sites with it, but to "open a huge opportunity" for profiteers to freely advertise their stuff to attract them more customers, lol. That's why some of them are not ashamed even to attach sponsor links to their preview and other links posted here.
Oh, BTW. They accidentally admitted that they also appreciate my another idea: that slogans like “Powered by Google” are much more appropriate on Website front-pages than “Copyright by Google”.

All right. As I was the only opponent here you may close this thread now. I may open a separate thread propagating this GNU license idea, later.
The fact of the matter is this: Everybody has a right to force a copyright in their theme. Weather or not you like that isn't something negotiable. If you don't want to follow the license, then don't use the theme. You can debate it all you want, but it still stands that they have that right.
voronv Wrote:
PwnEm Wrote:Not to start fights with anyone here, BUT... I feel you are jumping to conclusions voronv.

PwnEm Wrote:Google for instance offers free services, like GMAIL etc. and guess what? They are making $.
Goggle is not a community site: it's supposed to make money.
Yes, their tactics is also based on a bate, but I guess the difference is that the myBB site was never considered as a bate to be later transformed into a money machine. At least I see it this way.
Maybe Audentio wants to make money, This is hilarious; you make it seem that everyone should allow you to remove copyrights. Try complaining to Google, "I'm trying to remove the "powered by Google Search" part please teach me!". If its free their is going to be something you'll have to leave if it isn't under the GPL license. It takes time to learn how to code, I know it took me a while before I started designing any template I want.
Regards.
voronv Wrote:
Audentio Wrote:are you saying that your opinions believe that MyBB does not have the right to place their link in their footer as part of their terms of service?

You r smart, really smart. You know how to shift accents, don't you?

The myBB software creatores are not Audentio: don't try to equalize yourself to those who share with no back thoughts. You and the like just capitalize on their work and your themes uploaded here is a part of your commercial strategy, you cannot fool everybody on what's your actual objectives are.

Who the hell do you think you are. My actual objectives? To do what, take over the world? You've got to be kidding me.

I suppose you think that the world should be full of people who just bend over backwards for you and expect nothing in return.

You need to get out more.

voronv Wrote:I also don't support the idea of removing the copyright signs from any kind of a published work, so we absolutely agree on this, don't we?

I laughed out loud when I read that.

If you are going to play that kind of game where you make it seem like your morals are better than everyone else's, be my guest. MyBB opened a huge opportunity for many many many people, not just me. MyBB has helped me to retain a nice, steady job. I work at a Movie Theater, I freelance, and I earn little money off of sponsors. If what you call my actual objectives are unclear, then be my guest, we can have a nice chat of how putting my copyright in the footer of my skins are going to corrupt the world.

No offense, but you need to realize that there are people who do bad things and putting a copyright in the footer of someone's work should be at the bottom of your complaining list.

The funniest thing is that you keep criticizing the people and organizations who are based on FREE stuff. Theres another accent change for ya.
Here is a perfect example. >>> themetube dot com

I won't give them the satisfaction of a backlink.

Anyways, they have themes made by myself, firefoxwiz, jag100, snowy, and Justin S. to name a few. No contact link. Now I'm not sure about the said authors, amongst the others I didn't name, but my copyright states that no one is allowed to redistribute my themes without my permission. No contact link on this site, nothing. They are using our work for personal gain. Where is the justice in that.
I'm fresh and new to theme-ing so I haven't encountered this yet, but I'm sure it will happen, eventually.

Since I released under the Creative Commons license, if I find it I would probably send them links to the CC license they signed up for and tell them they signed up for it. I know some people do it on accident by not uploading a custom template with a theme, or reverting them to make it compatible. So I'd start giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe it's just because it hasn't happened to me a billion times yet.

Hopefully, that would make them scared and replace the link or use another theme.

Then, I'd go to phase two of joining their forums and posting about the situation in their own forum.

If it still happens, I would google up their username and try and find other sites they've joined. I'd send the user a PM on every account, and post in the forums about the situation, the moderators would probably at least temporary ban the person from the sites.

If it really continued, and I doubt I myself would go this far, since I released under Common Commons, I can use that binding agreement as grounds for legal action.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10