MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Break after 1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Well firstly everyones gonna hate me for this.

But personally i find one of the reasons MyBB isn't growing, is because the lack of plugins and integration.

So i suggest, after 1.6 is somewhat stable (like after most of the bug fixes etc)
The team so work on some plugins and integrations. Not support, but make it. Because once someone makes it, someone can take up the part of fixing it.
After 1.6, 2.0 will probably be the priority.

However, although I do think something like a solid WordPress integration plugin would be good, I don't think time should be taken out of the 2.0 development schedule.

I do have an idea though which I'll ask staff about.
What you have to keep in mind is that 2.0 will take quite a bit more work than 1.4 or 1.6 - if we have a break to make plugins people may get discouraged if they do not see a release for a long period of time.
No, I actually agree. But isn't 2.0 like two years off anyway?

2.0 is going to break compatibility and I'm actually worried that we're going to see even less development because of it, because everyone will just want to wait for 2.0. I hope 1.6 is going to be supported for a long time after 2.0 comes out because I simply can't afford to give up all my custom work.
I say a break after 2.0. I mean then we get fresh clean slate to have a break after.
(2009-07-15, 10:22 PM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]What you have to keep in mind is that 2.0 will take quite a bit more work than 1.4 or 1.6 - if we have a break to make plugins people may get discouraged if they do not see a release for a long period of time.

Maybe what would help then is moving up some of the planned features for 2.0 and apply them to 1.6 as seing how it is mainly a feature update? This as well will keep with trying to make it so that as few plugins as possible has to be updated. Thus people wont be in a hurry trying to get you guys to push out 2.0 as quick? Wink

2.0 if i am not mistaken will get a whole new look and thus by getting the feature stuff out of the way in 1.6 you all would have more time to develop that new look and whatever else i would think too. Big Grin
(2009-07-15, 11:28 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 if i am not mistaken will get a whole new look and thus by getting the feature stuff out of the way in 1.6 you all would have more time to develop that new look and whatever else i would think too. Big Grin

It wouldn't help at all really. 2.0 is a rewrite Toungue.
(2009-07-15, 11:30 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]It wouldn't help at all really. 2.0 is a rewrite Toungue.
Exactly. Smile
(2009-07-15, 11:30 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-15, 11:28 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 if i am not mistaken will get a whole new look and thus by getting the feature stuff out of the way in 1.6 you all would have more time to develop that new look and whatever else i would think too. Big Grin

It wouldn't help at all really. 2.0 is a rewrite Toungue.

It was a idea. Toungue
(2009-07-15, 10:27 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]No, I actually agree. But isn't 2.0 like two years off anyway?

2.0 is going to break compatibility and I'm actually worried that we're going to see even less development because of it, because everyone will just want to wait for 2.0. I hope 1.6 is going to be supported for a long time after 2.0 comes out because I simply can't afford to give up all my custom work.

If the current mindset is that, then everyone will always want to wait forever, no matter the version or time period. How do you solve it? You spread a different mindset.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14