MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discuss: MyBB 1.1 Released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
How could you say that awful name Dennis. Its like the Devil speaking

And who cares about a couple of numbers! Big Grin
Well I for one thinks the Linux versioning numbers makes sense, and ut it on my own C++ program. Keeps an track of things, should do for people aswell, if they really wanna know about the version numbers they would of read about it. If they don't why should they care about which version it is?
If it is released, then it should be functionalable enough for anyone to upgrade.
I love it how Chris, Peter and the rest of the team actually release security fixes and paches (while I could name a million bboards that move 100 tiles slower, eg. phpBB [yes, i know Tikitiki, the devil word]) and gets critisized for it... hehe Smile this community has really funny members.
tmhai Wrote:...and gets critisized for it...

Releasing security updates is fine, but because of the huge amount it shows MyBB is very insecure. Many visitors will be able to see this at a glance. The other point I was trying to get across is that there hasn't been new versions with new features available for some time. Sure, concentrating on security is important, but features are also.

I took a look at some developer blogs and they seem interesting. No talk of WYSIWYG post interfaces though, which has been a hugely requested feature so far.
I personaly I don't have a problem with no new features, only if it makes MyBB more secure. Why do you care about the Linux version number? What difference does it make? NOTHING!!!!!! I would just like to take this opportunity to thank the MyBB team for all of there support and fast bug fixes. Keep up the good work! Smile
Peter Wrote:Lack of professionalism? This is exactly the way Linux releases versions and patches, to my knowledge.
Nope. Not at all.

The Linux kernel is released with this numbering scheme:

x.y.z
x = major release number, only incremented if backwards compatibility is lost or a major code rewrite is involved
y = minor release number. Even = stable release, odd = development release, not for public consumption.
z = minor security or bugfix release.

If this was using the Linux system, we'd be on 1.0.5 right now, and 1.2.0 would be the next version. The version of 1.2 that the developers are currently working on would be 1.1 (development version) and when it is released, it would be relabeled 1.2.0.

In my opinion, this numbering scheme currently used by MyBB is terrible. Seriously. What happens if 1.0 needs another bugfix update? You can't increment the second number, because 1.2 is a different release entirely. You can't make it 1.1.1, because that would be a security update release. Also, rushing out updates reeks of unprofessionalism: you should have waited until more bugs were fixed, instead of just getting it out as fast as possible. This means that there will probably be even more security updates and bugfixes necessary for later, when they could have been put into this release. Wait a reasonable amount of time between releases unless there is a major security problem.
Belloman Wrote:Ever seen IPB's company news forums? I counted 10 or 11 security updates for 2.0 and 2.1, maybe more... Rolleyes
Yes, I'm an IPB customer. I bought a license entirely because they act more professional then MyBB, providing secure software but also releasing major versions with huge changes every 6 months or so. All the changes in MyBB's history may only be enough to qualify for a 2.1.x version of IPB. Rolleyes

That is why so many of their customers upgrade, because updates are worthwhile, whereas MyBB has one security issue, or a couple of bugs fixed. Sure IPS have paid employees, but MyBB staff should definitely provide large changes per update.

10 security updates? Since IPB 2.1 has been out, it has had 3 security updates and 5 huge bug fix updates. One of these updates is pretty much a major version in MyBB's case, probably the same number of fixes in the whole 1.0 lifecyle.

I thought MyBB brought in new staff to cope with the amount of member requests, yet there's a lack of feedback from staff on requests.
Cap'n Refsmmat Wrote:
Peter Wrote:Lack of professionalism? This is exactly the way Linux releases versions and patches, to my knowledge.
Nope. Not at all.

The Linux kernel is released with this numbering scheme:

x.y.z
x = major release number, only incremented if backwards compatibility is lost or a major code rewrite is involved
y = minor release number. Even = stable release, odd = development release, not for public consumption.
z = minor security or bugfix release.

If this was using the Linux system, we'd be on 1.0.5 right now, and 1.2.0 would be the next version. The version of 1.2 that the developers are currently working on would be 1.1 (development version) and when it is released, it would be relabeled 1.2.0.

In my opinion, this numbering scheme currently used by MyBB is terrible. Seriously. What happens if 1.0 needs another bugfix update? You can't increment the second number, because 1.2 is a different release entirely. You can't make it 1.1.1, because that would be a security update release. Also, rushing out updates reeks of unprofessionalism: you should have waited until more bugs were fixed, instead of just getting it out as fast as possible. This means that there will probably be even more security updates and bugfixes necessary for later, when they could have been put into this release. Wait a reasonable amount of time between releases unless there is a major security problem.
I agree that the current system for numbering is fairly sad. Personally, I never really understood it until Peter explained it, and now it just doesn't seem logical to do it that way.
Version numbers are usually irrelevant to me, but does it really matter how you number the thing, as long as it is numbered in some reasonable way. ie that the higher the numbers, the newer it is? The newer it is the less bugs/more features it might have? Hell, we are on Final Fantasy 12 and noone seems to care how high they number their games Toungue </joke>

Are people trying to say that lots of releases are bad or that MyBB aren't releasing enough bug fixes in each one? I'd have though that any updates would be welcome. Especially as it usually just involves copying files over.

I can't speak for other developers, but I'm at uni in my final year. With assignments just finished, I can concentrate more on MyBB but still have exams coming up. I'm sure that if MyBB was a fully paid job, I'd be able to work on it 5 days a week, 9-5 and fix all the bugs people post.

Quote:providing secure software but also releasing major versions with huge changes every 6 months or so
That is why so many of their customers upgrade, because updates are worthwhile, whereas MyBB has one security issue, or a couple of bugs fixed. Sure IPS have paid employees, but MyBB staff should definitely provide large changes per update.
You would rather wait for us to hold onto updates till we reach a magic number of 50 or 100 fixes? Who knows how long it would take to reach a certain number of fixed bugs. We try to fix bugs are we find them. I would have though it would be best to release patches as soon as we have found enough bugs to be worthwhile, especially if they are security fixes.

Quote:10 security updates? Since IPB 2.1 has been out, it has had 3 security updates and 5 huge bug fix updates. One of these updates is pretty much a major version in MyBB's case, probably the same number of fixes in the whole 1.0 lifecyle.
According to wikipedia, IPB 2.1 was released in Sept 2005. MyBB PR2 was released about the same time. Since then, MyBB have had 1 major release (PR2 -> 1.0) and 5 security fixes). So IPB must have been really buggy because you said IPB's 1 huge bug fix was the same as the 5 security fixes for MyBB. So people needed to update to make their forums work properly (I haven't tried IPB so I can't comment on their code). It also means MyBB puts out updates slower (in comparison) than IPB rather than more often as you seem to imply.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14