MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discuss: MyBB 1.1 Released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
decswxaqz Wrote:Version numbers are usually irrelevant to me, but does it really matter how you number the thing, as long as it is numbered in some reasonable way. ie that the higher the numbers, the newer it is? The newer it is the less bugs/more features it might have? Hell, we are on Final Fantasy 12 and noone seems to care how high they number their games Toungue </joke>

Are people trying to say that lots of releases are bad or that MyBB aren't releasing enough bug fixes in each one? I'd have though that any updates would be welcome. Especially as it usually just involves copying files over.

I can't speak for other developers, but I'm at uni in my final year. With assignments just finished, I can concentrate more on MyBB but still have exams coming up. I'm sure that if MyBB was a fully paid job, I'd be able to work on it 5 days a week, 9-5 and fix all the bugs people post.

Quote:providing secure software but also releasing major versions with huge changes every 6 months or so
That is why so many of their customers upgrade, because updates are worthwhile, whereas MyBB has one security issue, or a couple of bugs fixed. Sure IPS have paid employees, but MyBB staff should definitely provide large changes per update.
You would rather wait for us to hold onto updates till we reach a magic number of 50 or 100 fixes? Who knows how long it would take to reach a certain number of fixed bugs. We try to fix bugs are we find them. I would have though it would be best to release patches as soon as we have found enough bugs to be worthwhile, especially if they are security fixes.

Quote:10 security updates? Since IPB 2.1 has been out, it has had 3 security updates and 5 huge bug fix updates. One of these updates is pretty much a major version in MyBB's case, probably the same number of fixes in the whole 1.0 lifecyle.
According to wikipedia, IPB 2.1 was released in Sept 2005. MyBB PR2 was released about the same time. Since then, MyBB have had 1 major release (PR2 -> 1.0) and 5 security fixes). So IPB must have been really buggy because you said IPB's 1 huge bug fix was the same as the 5 security fixes for MyBB. So people needed to update to make their forums work properly (I haven't tried IPB so I can't comment on their code). It also means MyBB puts out updates slower (in comparison) than IPB rather than more often as you seem to imply.

I said each bug fix version has been worthwhile to upgrade to, compared to MyBB's minor amount of fixes per version. This is simply because there's actually something to upgrade for. What about attaching fixes for people who submit bugs, then compile them all into a list and provide updates every few weeks... that'll mean more bugs appear to be fixed per version, plus anybody who has a problem with the bug gets it fixed immediately.
How about we just all stop winging and be greatful for a change that Chris + others actually release fixes and number their work Ascending-ly (Its not a word, but u know what I mean). Honestly, It doesnt really matter what gets fixed, as long as the bboard gets attention and GETS FIXED. And as for the number scheme, who really cares, the numbers go up, and that means something has changed for your own good, not chris' or any other developer but yours! Honestly, think of the people in Uganda, Africa, America, who dont EVEN HAVE A COMPUTER, let alone run a copy of Mybb. Just because you have the time for constructive critisizm, doesnt mean u should let it out on other peoples work.

And if you think you can do a better job, how about you go start your own Bboard and manage it the way you see fit!

[Dont mean to start a row or anything, I just think this needed to be said]

PS. Anyone want to contribute to our Wikipedia Entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyBB) ?
tmhai Wrote:How about we just all stop winging and be greatful for a change that Chris + others actually release fixes and number their work Ascending-ly (Its not a word, but u know what I mean). Honestly, It doesnt really matter what gets fixed, as long as the bboard gets attention and GETS FIXED. And as for the number scheme, who really cares, the numbers go up, and that means something has changed for your own good, not chris' or any other developer but yours! Honestly, think of the people in Uganda, Africa, America, who dont EVEN HAVE A COMPUTER, let alone run a copy of Mybb. Just because you have the time for constructive critisizm, doesnt mean u should let it out on other peoples work.

And if you think you can do a better job, how about you go start your own Bboard and manage it the way you see fit!

[Dont mean to start a row or anything, I just think this needed to be said]

PS. Anyone want to contribute to our Wikipedia Entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyBB) ?
All is thread is about a whole buch of people complaining about how there was not new feature and the crappy version numbers(which I think is just fine). Well who gives, Chris and the others devote their time and energy to make this the best bb software ever. For what, a whole bunch of people to whine and complain. Like tmhai said, If you think you can do a better job the you make your own bb software.
Criticizing criticism? Hmm, doesn't sound fun...

Anyway, let's get back to the positive! It is always good to be able to upgrade to the latest version of MyBB and know that the dev team is on top of things, whether it be bugs, security, or new features Wink

MyBB developers, thanks for all of the hard work you've put in so far on keeping on top of things, and the hard work I'm sure you'll do to put out what in my opinion is the best free bulletin board software on the net Big Grin
Quote:Wait a reasonable amount of time between releases unless there is a major security problem.
Which is what we do.

Quote:Yes, I'm an IPB customer. I bought a license entirely because they act more professional then MyBB, providing secure software but also releasing major versions with huge changes every 6 months or so.
Good on them. They're a paid team with loads of support members. We only released 1.0 recently, and we plan to have 1.2.0 out within that six month period.

1.2.0 is a "major version". You don't believe me, I can give you the source code we have so far.

Quote:That is why so many of their customers upgrade, because updates are worthwhile, whereas MyBB has one security issue, or a couple of bugs fixed. Sure IPS have paid employees, but MyBB staff should definitely provide large changes per update.

Tell me, how much experience have you had with subversion and things like that for repository management?

Due to the vast number of code changes in 1.2.0, it is basically impossible for us to keep both the trunk and branches up to date - effectively working on a bug fix release as well as the new version. You can do it, but not for this release because of the amount of changes being made.

About the version numbering, as I said before, and as you seem to have ignored, we are changing - we needed to release 1.1 to do this as we can't just jump straight to 1.0.5 - it is lower than 1.05 and people would be confused.

Quote:I said each bug fix version has been worthwhile to upgrade to, compared to MyBB's minor amount of fixes per version. This is simply because there's actually something to upgrade for.
So we're supposed to leave security updates unpatched until we have a huge patch? If you develop software like that, then that is a complete joke.

Your "minor" fixes aren't so small at all either - PR2 to 1.0 fixed every bug found within an acceptable length of time - and was a comprehensive list.

If you're going to complain about no new features between PR2 and 1.0, that was the intention with a "preview release" as such. You are at a freezed feature state and you fix bugs.

Thanks for those of you who are offering your support.
Thanks for the reply Chris.

Quote:About the version numbering, as I said before, and as you seem to have ignored, we are changing - we needed to release 1.1 to do this as we can't just jump straight to 1.0.5 - it is lower than 1.05 and people would be confused.

I overlooked this in your previous post.. I understand now, but surely that's down to bad selection of versions numbers of security updates? Let;s just leave this area to rest.

Quote:Due to the vast number of code changes in 1.2.0, it is basically impossible for us to keep both the trunk and branches up to date - effectively working on a bug fix release as well as the new version. You can do it, but not for this release because of the amount of changes being made.

I don't expect you to provide support for previous versions, especially when a vast majority of code has changed.

Quote:So we're supposed to leave security updates unpatched until we have a huge patch? If you develop software like that, then that is a complete joke.

I did not mention security updates in the sentence you quoted me on. I stated bug fixes. Looking forward to what 1.2 brings.
decswxaqz Wrote:It also means MyBB puts out updates slower (in comparison) than IPB rather than more often as you seem to imply.
I think what he was trying to imply is that IPB is paid software, but even though they release updates like mad, people still buy their product.
tmhai Wrote:How about we just all stop winging and be greatful for a change that Chris + others actually release fixes and number their work Ascending-ly (Its not a word, but u know what I mean).

Next version: MyBB 1.09 Toungue </lame joke>

Nice job guys... Great to see something being actively developed. Smile

wctaiwan
I am going crazy, no matter what I do I my forum is not updating to the new 1.10 version.

I have extracted the files to my forum folder, and not uploaded the relevant files (currently on 1.03) but yet it is still saying I am on 1.03

any idea what to do
lol, re upload inc/functions.php
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14