MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discuss: MyBB 1.1 Released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
decswxaqz Wrote:Version numbers are usually irrelevant to me, but does it really matter how you number the thing, as long as it is numbered in some reasonable way. ie that the higher the numbers, the newer it is? The newer it is the less bugs/more features it might have? Hell, we are on Final Fantasy 12 and noone seems to care how high they number their games Toungue </joke>

Are people trying to say that lots of releases are bad or that MyBB aren't releasing enough bug fixes in each one? I'd have though that any updates would be welcome. Especially as it usually just involves copying files over.

I can't speak for other developers, but I'm at uni in my final year. With assignments just finished, I can concentrate more on MyBB but still have exams coming up. I'm sure that if MyBB was a fully paid job, I'd be able to work on it 5 days a week, 9-5 and fix all the bugs people post.

Quote:providing secure software but also releasing major versions with huge changes every 6 months or so
That is why so many of their customers upgrade, because updates are worthwhile, whereas MyBB has one security issue, or a couple of bugs fixed. Sure IPS have paid employees, but MyBB staff should definitely provide large changes per update.
You would rather wait for us to hold onto updates till we reach a magic number of 50 or 100 fixes? Who knows how long it would take to reach a certain number of fixed bugs. We try to fix bugs are we find them. I would have though it would be best to release patches as soon as we have found enough bugs to be worthwhile, especially if they are security fixes.

Quote:10 security updates? Since IPB 2.1 has been out, it has had 3 security updates and 5 huge bug fix updates. One of these updates is pretty much a major version in MyBB's case, probably the same number of fixes in the whole 1.0 lifecyle.
According to wikipedia, IPB 2.1 was released in Sept 2005. MyBB PR2 was released about the same time. Since then, MyBB have had 1 major release (PR2 -> 1.0) and 5 security fixes). So IPB must have been really buggy because you said IPB's 1 huge bug fix was the same as the 5 security fixes for MyBB. So people needed to update to make their forums work properly (I haven't tried IPB so I can't comment on their code). It also means MyBB puts out updates slower (in comparison) than IPB rather than more often as you seem to imply.

honestly though.. FF12 should really be FF11 and FF11 should be FFO (Final Fantasy Online)
I have done that but now I am getting this:

"The installer is currently locked, please remove 'lock' from the install directory to continue"

how is it I can remove the 'lock' to get my board back up and running?
What version are you upgrading from? If it is from 1.0 or HIGHER (be it 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, or 1.04), you do NOT need to run the upgrade scripts.
I am upgrading 1.03 at the moment

when I go to my forum now his is what I MY FORUM

what should I do now
Had you overwritten the config.php file? If so, you can see this post to rebuild it.
Belloman Wrote:Had you overwritten the config.php file? If so, you can see this post to rebuild it.

I dont think I did overwrite it. I will do it anyway, I assume I just use a text editor to re-create the config.php file then upload it?
Yes, you recreate it, putting in the appropriate details, and then you upload the new config.php to the inc directory.
my table_prefix, how do I determine what that is?

do I need to change anything from:

$config['admindir'] = "admin";

or

$config['cachestore'] = "db";
'admindir' refers to the admin directory on your site. If you have changed the admin directory to anything other than the default, you will need to enter the folder name here.

'cachestore' should probably stay the same if you haven't altered it before.
ok, now I am getting the following eror:

mySQL error: 1146
Table 'newforum.mybb_datacache' doesn't exist
Query: SELECT title,cache FROM mybb_datacache
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14