MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Eww! What happened to MyBB theme?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
(2014-08-20, 08:22 PM)Baltzatu Wrote: [ -> ]So, I finished making a dark version of the theme. Personally, I think it is a little too dark, but I tried to get it as close as possible to the one from the screenshot you posted, Vanz. Here it is.

It is BEAUTIFUL man ,  [Image: big-grin-smiley-emoticon.gif] thanks  a lot.

[Image: Bro_Fist.gif]

http://i.imgur.com/AL8XTto.jpg << How I see the forum now Wink
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3...ne&group=0

Your theme isn't valid HTML Sad

Might want to decide if your using XHTML or HTML5 since AFAIK <header>, <nav> etc are HTML5 elements but if you validate as HTML5 you get 250 errors.

Yes i know Validation isn't life or death buts it's annoying Wink and usually results in issues when you go to change something.
It should only change CSS so I don't think he broke anything?
(2014-08-21, 04:39 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]It should only change CSS so I don't think he broke anything?

Well regardless, To be professional it should be valid HTML Smile
(2014-08-21, 03:04 PM)fma965 Wrote: [ -> ]http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3...ne&group=0

Your theme isn't valid HTML Sad

Might want to decide if your using XHTML or HTML5 since AFAIK <header>, <nav> etc are HTML5 elements but if you validate as HTML5 you get 250 errors.

Yes i know Validation isn't life or death buts it's annoying Wink and usually results in issues when you go to change something.

I hope you realize that the validator does not test the website from your point of view, but from their server's, which does not have the style installed. Also, just like Tom said, it only checks for HTML errors and has no regard for CSS.
I agree with some stuff that ljdevs pointed out.

1- why is the last B larger than the first B? It looks odd and should be fixed, imho.

2- the devs should work to make the default mybb theme responsive. this is 2014, after all. MOST people use some form of a mobile device to view sites, and as such, the mybb team should probably work to incorporate this feature before 2.0 is released and is already the standard for most of the web....help stay with the curve, if you will..

3- I'm sure this is just an issue on my end since I use an older LCD and going over 1024X768 causes issues, but the mybb site (including the forum index) causes a horizontal scroll.
I imagine the problem with making the theme responsive is that it's largely table based, and would undoubtably mean several major template changes, which would have big impacts on theme compatibility and would create a bigger learning curve for creating themes. With 2.0 when everything would be changed anyway, a responsive theme would be easier to do.
(2014-08-21, 07:49 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with some stuff that ljdevs pointed out.

1- why is the last B larger than the first B? It looks odd and should be fixed, imho.

2- the devs should work to make the default mybb theme responsive. this is 2014, after all. MOST people use some form of a mobile device to view sites, and as such, the mybb team should probably work to incorporate this feature before 2.0 is released and is already the standard for most of the web....help stay with the curve, if you will..

3- I'm sure this is just an issue on my end since I use an older LCD and going over 1024X768 causes issues, but the mybb site (including the forum index) causes a horizontal scroll.

#1 I didn't notice that. I would have to agree Smile.

#2 There are responsive themes you can use already but I think 2.0 would be on the roadmap for 2.0 (years to come). Maybe we will see more responsive themes released though overtime.

#3 I don't have this issue on any of the theme options.
(2014-08-21, 07:49 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]2- the devs should work to make the default mybb theme responsive.  this is 2014, after all.  MOST people use some form of a mobile device to view sites, and as such, the mybb team should probably work to incorporate this feature before 2.0 is released and is already the standard for most of the web....help stay with the curve, if you will..

You should consider that default responsive theme will have impacts on:
a) plugins - all plugins are written in order to work with default theme (based on table usage), rewritting it for 1.x series would just be a large pain in *** (99% of users are used to upload - install / activate plugin method).

b) type of responsive design - the way that responsive design is written (and handled) is also a tricky for forum (XF has it but some informations could be shown in a slideup / down menu) - on some areas, like modcp, were you want to display necessary info you can 1) hide 3 - 4 cells and show only two (bans) but for the rest you have to find a workaround (a slideup / down menu or a tooltip). In that case some responsive grid system won't be suitable so you'll end up writing one in order to fit your needs.
(2014-08-21, 08:23 PM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]I imagine the problem with making the theme responsive is that it's largely table based, and would undoubtably mean several major template changes, which would have big impacts on theme compatibility and would create a bigger learning curve for creating themes. With 2.0 when everything would be changed anyway, a responsive theme would be easier to do.

probably so.

how about a mobile theme plugin developed and supported by the mybb team so that is strips a site down to the bare minimum for viewing it on a mobile device?  I suppose that could close the gap until responsive themes are made as the standard in 2.0.

(2014-08-21, 08:47 PM)Alex - Arvixe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-21, 07:49 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with some stuff that ljdevs pointed out.

1- why is the last B larger than the first B?  It looks odd and should be fixed, imho.

2- the devs should work to make the default mybb theme responsive.  this is 2014, after all.  MOST people use some form of a mobile device to view sites, and as such, the mybb team should probably work to incorporate this feature before 2.0 is released and is already the standard for most of the web....help stay with the curve, if you will..

#1 I didn't notice that. I would have to agree Smile.

#2 There are responsive themes you can use already but I think 2.0 would be on the roadmap for 2.0 (years to come). Maybe we will see more responsive themes released though overtime.

#3 I don't have this issue on any of the theme options.

I suspect the horizontal scroll issue is only for people with larger screen resolutions.

(2014-08-21, 09:00 PM)Johnny S Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-21, 07:49 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]2- the devs should work to make the default mybb theme responsive.  this is 2014, after all.  MOST people use some form of a mobile device to view sites, and as such, the mybb team should probably work to incorporate this feature before 2.0 is released and is already the standard for most of the web....help stay with the curve, if you will..

You should consider that default responsive theme will have impacts on:
a) plugins - all plugins are written in order to work with default theme (based on table usage), rewritting it for 1.x series would just be a large pain in *** (99% of users are used to upload - install / activate plugin method).

b) type of responsive design - the way that responsive design is written (and handled) is also a tricky for forum (XF has it but some informations could be shown in a slideup / down menu) - on some areas, like modcp, were you want to display necessary info you can 1) hide 3 - 4 cells and show only two (bans) but for the rest you have to find a workaround (a slideup / down menu or a tooltip). In that case some responsive grid system won't be suitable so you'll end up writing one in order to fit your needs.

true.

if a responsive theme is not an option, I'd definitely support a mobile theme plugin from the mybb team until 2.0 comes out where responsive themes should be expected as the norm (or unless something else comes out that replaces that standard).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12