MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does MyBB have future?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
These all seem to support Markdown as far as I understand:

There have also been people asking for it and supporting the sugegsiton on IRC, GitHub and Discord.

I think the problem is that you don't see a use for it, and as such don't feel you're getting your own way. Unfortunately, we cater to more people than just you.
(2017-12-17, 02:21 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]These all seem to support Markdown as far as I understand:

There have also been people asking for it and supporting the sugegsiton on IRC, GitHub and Discord.

I think the problem is that you don't see a use for it, and as such don't feel you're getting your own way. Unfortunately, we cater to more people than just you.

I could not care less whether this MyBB implements Ckeditor or not. MyBB is already dead, just waiting for a funeral.

This thread is not about Ckeditor or responsiveness - check the thread title again please.

The real problem is the team, and until such time as they take responsibility for the failures, and actually apologise to the community, MyBB won't turn around.
(2017-12-17, 02:36 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-17, 02:21 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]These all seem to support Markdown as far as I understand:

I could not care less whether this MyBB implements Ckeditor or not. MyBB is already dead, just waiting for a funeral.

This thread is not about Ckeditor or responsiveness - check the thread title again please.

The real problem is the team, and until such time as they take responsibility for the failures, and actually apologise to the community, MyBB won't turn around.

I guess no matter what we do, it'll never be right and will never live up to your high standards.
WYSIWYG are overrated. I know members want these but when I post at Twitter they don't offer it. At Youtube, they don't offer it. Never really seen a WYSIWYG at any major site if I think about it. It's mainly reserved for Wordpress admins. It's not really hard to manually type some markup code which is what I do 100% of the time.

If the WYSIWYG is a problem going forward and preventing movement in terms of a responsive design then shelve it. It's completely unimportant in comparison. Prioritize.

Quote:Whilst we were discussing the possibility of working on 1.10, we floated the idea of simply releasing a new theme that could be bundled with the core that would be fully responsive.

And that's what 1.10 should be.

Quote:but in the end it was decided that we should aim a little bit higher and try to integrate some other useful features and user experience enhancements such as adding alerts and conversations to the core.

And that's going to slow it all down to a crawl. Exactly what I didn't want to read.

Quote:Obviously, this extra work will take extra time (work and time taken go hand in hand on a linear scale - more work = more time). Just how long it will take depends on how many people contribute and work on it and how much time they put in. So far, 2 people have been working on 1.10. Clearly with 2 people it's going to take a little while, especially when both of us have full time 9-5 jobs to work to put food on the table. With more people contributing, the time it takes to release 1.10 while decrease.

Back to the 2.0 status, wanting too much means accomplishing less. Focus guys! You have a high priority mission and instead you're vision is blurred. Do not be distracted. Make a small yet substantial change to a responsive theme which is a huge improvements and a fantastic bridge to update everything afterwards. No reason you can't do 1.10 then get fancier with 1.12. The work involved just for responsive will be more than enough to keep you busy. Introducing multiple libraries and changes just increases the likelihood of bugs, exploits, and is time consuming.

And do nothing about the WYSIWYG for now. What we have works. Changing it breaks more than it fixes. A change for change sake doesn't enhance user experience. No one joins or leaves a forum based on the WYSIWYG editor of choice.
I agree with labrocca. Since you don't have a lot of manpower, focus on getting a responsive theme out ASAP. Other improvements can wait til 1.12.
Certainly the WYSIWYG editor is nothing really important. Markdown is a requeriment maybe somewhat important to techie users and four our techie soul, but I have lots of doubts about forums users, and forum users is the last element of the chain where we should focus on right now.

¿Are most forum users techie people? ¿Do this people really need markdown? I don't think so. It could be in the future but it's not critical at all.
I have to agree with labrocca.
More features, more bugs, more work...

Focus at theme. Than maybe some implements but right now most of them is not necessary. We have plugins anyway Smile
Okay, so how about this as a roadmap for the future:
  • Plan for a 1.9.0 release as the next major release. This release would:
    • Bump required PHP vesion to PHP 7.0 in anticipation for the future. [DONE]
    • Implement Twig as a template engine. [IN-PROGRESS]
    • Introduce Composer to manage 3rd party dependencies and provide autoloading [DONE]
    • Introduce the SwiftMailer library to handle the sending of emails, fixing compatibiltiy issues with different SMTP hosts. [DONE]
    • Introduce a brand new theme which would be fully responsive and mobile ready. [IN-PROGRESS]

• Once 1.9.0 is released, work towards the next major version as 1.10.0. This release would:
    • Introduce user alerts to the core, alerting users of new PMs, replies to threads, etc.
    • Look at introducing other 3rd party components (such as introducing a third party caching library to add more cache drivers, introducing a new query builder to be used whenever new features are added or reworked).

• Once 1.10.0 is released, work towards the next major vesion as 1.11.0. This release would:
    • Bring in conversations as a replacement for Private Messages, and integrate them with the alerts system from 1.10.0.
    • Continue introducing other 3rd party components.

• Once 1.11.0 is released, work towards the next major vesion as 1.12.0. This release would:
    • Look at changing the plugin structure to make use of Composer and provide plugins as Composer packages. This would:
      • Allow plugins to easily register classes in the autoloader
      • Make it easier for plugins to add new JS, CSS, etc. as plugins would all extend a base class that would provide common funcitonality - much like the 3rd party PluginLibrary project by frostschutz does
      • Make it possible in the future to automate the installation of plugins straight from the Admin Control Panel, as all plugins would follow a common structure.

• Continue introducing other 3rd party components.

In the background, as this process happens, we could continuously work on larger refinements and enhancements such as adding a CLI tool to the core, rewriting the ACP to make use of templates, etc. These major additions and changes could be rolled into the next major release (where the middle version changes, such as 1.8 -> 1.9 or 1.9 -> 1.10).

Also of note for this approach is a slight change to how we number versions. Currently, we skip odd numbers and call them development versions. This is pretty odd, and makes little sense when the numbers don't actually get used anywhere in the core. With this roadmap we'd be using verison numbers in a way that makes more sense.

Any more thoughts or comments on the above approach? I'd rather the whole community were settled on an approach and knew where MyBB as a project is heading.

If the majority of us agree with a roadmap like the above (or one based upon this kind of structure with a clear plan of tasks to complete - we are open to changes, so long as it doesn't become a case of the plan being entirely impossible to achieve with 1001 features being added every release), I will write a blog post and start a project (or series of projects - one per version number for the next 2-3 major verisons) on GitHub to get momentum heading in that direction. What I don't want is for us to agree on a roadmap or plan and then have to change direction once again because people have found something else to be unhappy about.
I agree with this 1.9, 1.10 is far for now, I don't even think about 1.11 yet, we can think about it later...

But this looks really good.
Can you make new thread for / about that so others can say what they think?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17