MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discuss: MyBB Goes Open Source, Now GNU GPL v3 Licensed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2008-10-13, 01:48 AM)MyBBmodding Wrote: [ -> ]well donno its gud or bad Sad

1 question as MyBB Goes Open Source, Now GNU GPL v3 Licensed
So the main support source will still be MyBB Group with the same Portal for the Latest Releases and Downloads?

We will continue to support the main MyBB distribution, same as always. For repackaged/modified products based on MyBB, we can only give limited support.
(2008-10-14, 05:46 AM)OhReally Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-14, 05:31 AM)Jeff Wrote: [ -> ]But to be truly open source, the development flow should be open.

That's not true; that's emotion speaking, not the license. The license doesn't say we have a right to see all experiments developers are doing with the code before releasing it.

That is what I meant by "truly." I simply encouraging a more open development process Blush
(2008-10-14, 10:01 PM)rcpalace Wrote: [ -> ]I've gotten the answer of what I won't disclose here unless MyBB decide too. The answer explains a lot of the past and present conclusions for MyBB. It also kind of explains why MyBB is under the GPL today. (IMO)
Best Regards.

(2008-10-14, 10:54 PM)Jeff Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-14, 05:46 AM)OhReally Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-14, 05:31 AM)Jeff Wrote: [ -> ]But to be truly open source, the development flow should be open.

That's not true; that's emotion speaking, not the license. The license doesn't say we have a right to see all experiments developers are doing with the code before releasing it.

That is what I meant by "truly." I simply encouraging a more open development process Blush

At this point we're not going to open up our development process.

Thanks for your interest,
Ryan
Very interesting development, to say the least. Wink
I'm not sure though, redistributing MyBB software is a risk. People could leave exploits in the software then redistribute it. Thats not a good idea tbh.
(2008-10-15, 08:32 AM)Combo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure though, redistributing MyBB software is a risk. People could leave exploits in the software then redistribute it. Thats not a good idea tbh.

It wouldn't be MyBB's problem though. MyBB is only responsible for it's own code. I've been working with some other open source projects, people making an effort modifying the code usually are stable people and contributes back to the community who built the core. This is a good thing. Believe me.
Besides, you will always be able to download MyBB direct from MyBB and know it is a safe untouched version.
Thank you from heart for this news I never dreamnt this day will come. *sob* I've been worry that I might distribute modify version in someday. So you give permissions as long we follow the GPL that's kind of fair enough. That would be good for users who want to drag power of mybb to be stretchable. I've look around mybb templates and notice they can beat over some popular CMS. Because MyBB can turn into CMS-like if people done good arts of coding or combine MyBB plugins.

Not like other free or paid forums that they can't even have stretchful templates/skins but mybb can. [I can't hold my stomach when always think about mybulletin skin.XD]
(2008-10-15, 08:32 AM)Combo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure though, redistributing MyBB software is a risk. People could leave exploits in the software then redistribute it. Thats not a good idea tbh.

That could be said for any software licensed under GPL. If this is an issue, GPL would not be so popular.

That then becomes an issue of how smart the downloader is when it comes to downloading random software off of the internet...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14