MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discuss: MyBB Goes Open Source, Now GNU GPL v3 Licensed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

I'm speechless.
For you, holder10.
License Agreement Wrote:Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things.
Thanks Wink

Great decision myBB!
(2008-10-12, 10:49 AM)holder10 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it allowed (now) to modify myBB and sell the modified version of myBB?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html...mmercially Wrote:If I use a piece of software that has been obtained under the GNU GPL, am I allowed to modify the original code into a new program, then distribute and sell that new program commercially?
You are allowed to sell copies of the modified program commercially, but only under the terms of the GNU GPL. Thus, for instance, you must make the source code available to the users of the program as described in the GPL, and they must be allowed to redistribute and modify it as described in the GPL.
These requirements are the condition for including the GPL-covered code you received in a program of your own.

If I distribute GPL'd software for a fee, am I required to also make it available to the public without a charge?
No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public.
hmm, that means I could make a custom version mod it ect, and sell it fully made! Cool, although I wouldn't lol
(2008-10-12, 11:01 AM)mcgroove Wrote: [ -> ]hmm, that means I could make a custom version mod it ect, and sell it fully made! Cool, although I wouldn't lol

Right, however you must sell it licensed under the GNU GPL, with our copyrights etc intact in the headers of the files etc. Essentially anyone who then purchases your software has the right to redistribute it for free or charge for it as they wish.
(2008-10-12, 11:09 AM)Chris Boulton Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-12, 11:01 AM)mcgroove Wrote: [ -> ]hmm, that means I could make a custom version mod it ect, and sell it fully made! Cool, although I wouldn't lol

Right, however you must sell it licensed under the GNU GPL, with our copyrights etc intact in the headers of the files etc. Essentially anyone who then purchases your software has the right to redistribute it for free or charge for it as they wish.

I understand
Then it doesn´t really make sense to sell it, right? Big Grin
Hmm...will we get support if we remove the 'Copyright 2008 MyBB Group' but left the 'Powered by MyBB'?

So we left like half of it. It will contain a link back of course.
Wow, this is interesting news Smile I think this has been a correct decision, so congratulations to Chris and all of the members of MyBB (coders, testers, support people, etc...)

So now that anyone can modify the code, imagine that someone has some changes and asks you to integrate them into the "main" distribution of the software. What is your policy about this situation? Are you going to accept all the changes of other people...?

(2008-10-12, 11:42 AM)holder10 Wrote: [ -> ]Then it doesn´t really make sense to sell it, right? Big Grin

What people or other companies do when they have GNU GPL software is to sell support for it, not the code itself.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14