MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discuss: MyBB Goes Open Source, Now GNU GPL v3 Licensed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2008-10-23, 05:48 PM)Paretje Wrote: [ -> ]I was very happy and surprised when I saw this, 11 days ago, since you've said MyBB would never become really Open Source.

Where did who say this? o.o
I don't know, but it's not from previous month, but I've read this once I think on a question why MyBB doesn't uses GNU/GPL, and there was said it would never be licensed as GNU/GPL.
(2008-10-23, 08:21 PM)Paretje Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know, but it's not from previous month, but I've read this once I think on a question why MyBB doesn't uses GNU/GPL, and there was said it would never be licensed as GNU/GPL.

It wasn't by a MyBB Staff member then :\
I think that it is a good decision. The Powered by MyBB credit was never a big deal to me, anyway, due to it just being a standard text link.

All in all, I think that more will be gained than lost, over the long term. I think that it elevates MyBB within the open source community, and should help in expanding MyBB's overall base of users.
Nice. ;]
Hulla hulla.....excellent news....now I am sold !
I'm very happy that MyBB is GPL.

May I suggest that you add MyBB as a project to http://freshmeat.net too. freshmeat does not host software, it's just a catalog for (mostly) Open Source Software solutions.

You can post a project description, link to the project page, as well as direct download links. With every new release you can post an update notice that will be read by countless people who love Open Source. The notices are also distributed to dozens of other sites, so you get other sites linking to your project for free.

I have only very small projects, but from my own experience, giving out release notices on freshmeat gives a huge popularity boost.
I'd rather use SourceForge, every open-source software uses it...

http://www.sourceforge.net/

They'll give you hosting if you need it.
Sourceforge is a host, only projects who need hosting go there. Sourceforge projects are also listed on Freshmeat usually. Having an entry in the Freshmeat catalog doesn't hurt, as I said, they do not host or influence your project in any way, it's just a platform for announcing to the world that your project exists and when it is updated.

EDIT:
I just noticed, that MyBB already has two entries at SourceForge. Both are horribly outdated (not updated > 1 year, MyBB 1.2).
WOW

phpBB has their own website, not hosted by SourceForge. They use SourceForge, however, Same with the CMS software Fusion News.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14