MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discuss: MyBB Goes Open Source, Now GNU GPL v3 Licensed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2008-10-12, 11:59 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]In light of the GNU GPL license change, I have made available an svn snapshot of the Merge System for 1.4 available on the MyBB Merge System download page.

Please note that this is still development code, and you should not use it in a production environment. Currently, it is only for testing purposes. If do you use it in a production environment, then you do so at your own risk.

You may find the download here: http://mybboard.net/downloads/merge-system (Direct Link)

Speaking of SVN. Where is it, as it should be publicly accessible (read only, but viewable).
(2008-10-13, 04:28 PM)maddog39 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-12, 11:59 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]In light of the GNU GPL license change, I have made available an svn snapshot of the Merge System for 1.4 available on the MyBB Merge System download page.

Please note that this is still development code, and you should not use it in a production environment. Currently, it is only for testing purposes. If do you use it in a production environment, then you do so at your own risk.

You may find the download here: http://mybboard.net/downloads/merge-system (Direct Link)

Speaking of SVN. Where is it, as it should be publicly accessible (read only, but viewable).

It is not publicly accessible.
Hey guys.

Don't forget to change your license details at forummatrix.org. That's one of the channels that brought MyBB to our attention.

Cheers,
Rob
I'm disappointed. Sad It should have stayed under the previous license. What exactly was the real reason for releasing it under the GPL? Where you afraid that competition might take a lot of MyBB users away, so you released it under the GPL? (If you can't beet them, join them!?)
Best Regards.
(2008-10-13, 10:02 PM)rcpalace Wrote: [ -> ]I'm disappointed. Sad It should have stayed under the previous license. What exactly was the real reason for releasing it under the GPL? Where you afraid that competition might take a lot of MyBB users away, so you released it under the GPL? (If you can't beet them, join them!?)
Best Regards.
No, the real reason is because we believe in developing free software.

What is the exact problem with the GPL?
Well rcpalace, let me play along with you...
But let's turn this around...

What exactly is your problem with the GPL? Why is this a disappointment?

Rob

EDIT:
You beat me, Chris... Wink
(2008-10-13, 10:02 PM)rcpalace Wrote: [ -> ]I'm disappointed. Sad It should have stayed under the previous license. What exactly was the real reason for releasing it under the GPL? Where you afraid that competition might take a lot of MyBB users away, so you released it under the GPL? (If you can't beet them, join them!?)
Best Regards.

Why not open new avenues? Which is basically what this has done for mybb. personally it doesnt bother me at all as long as they keep doing what they have and from what i have read and seen that is what will continue. Same great development and everything else. Just basically opened themselves up to a wider market. Thus i see no cons.
Its OS now. Sweet.

Only one question.

Where is the SVN/CVS, and how can i check out a copy of the source?

Will the source contain the images used?
Great News! Hooooray!
No more SMF wh*ring.. xD

MyBB all the waaaaaaaay! Smile
Now we need a joomla and Drupal integration xD
(2008-10-13, 10:41 PM)Chris Boulton Wrote: [ -> ]
Best Regards.
No, the real reason is because we believe in developing free software.

What is the exact problem with the GPL?

Here's the problem. When you have one great software out there, it will always be special. Now with the GPL, you'll have a load of new forum software's of what are MyBB forks. If you have a plethora of great forum software's, non will be. By releasing it under the GPL the forum market is now prone to a lot of software forks. We will than never have anything original anymore if this occurs. New forum software companies would just change a little and distribute it. It will be the exact same way the CMS market is following. Theirs also a risk out their now; if a big company comes over and buy's MyBB (now that it's under the GPL), they'll most likely change the licensing and charge for it; as Yahoo! did to Zimbra. They kept the opensource one in development, but they now charge for a "Pro" version.
Best Regards.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14