MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discuss: MyBB Goes Open Source, Now GNU GPL v3 Licensed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Good, now I can steal the MyBB source to make my own BBS... Mauh hahahahahahahahah! That was a joke now!!!
(2008-10-16, 10:29 AM)kruzzen Wrote: [ -> ]Good, now I can steal the MyBB source to make my own BBS... Mauh hahahahahahahahah! That was a joke now!!!

With GPL, it is not "stealing." In fact, the entire purpose of the GPL license is to give you the freedom to redistribute modified versions of MyBB (so long as you leave the original copyright and license in the PHP code intact). Feel free to do so!
I see... But I was still kidding, the BB I am developing, I want to be unique on... just to see if I can do it... right now I named it, FullOfErrorsBB :p
Still, I feel that it being an open-source software is much better. See, my host has this thing called Elephaté Free Scripts. They offer easy installs of open-source PHP scripts like phpBB. Now I can ask them to add MyBB on there!
I wish DreamHost would add that to their one-clicks, as much as I use MyBB and all Big Grin
Oh, great. I didn't know that MyBB wasn't Open Source, GNU GPL v3 Licensed. Anyway I don't understand this license stuff. But must say It's gonna be great!
(2008-10-15, 08:32 AM)Combo Wrote: [ -> ]People could leave exploits in the software then redistribute it.

Sure they could, but check paragraph 5a of the license:
Quote:The work must carry prominent notices stating that you modified it, and giving a relevant date.

Good
decision Toungue
a really great decision. now I'm quite sure MyBB will grow faster and better.

congrats guys!
I was very happy and surprised when I saw this, 11 days ago, since you've said MyBB would never become really Open Source.

(2008-10-16, 07:05 PM)kruzzen Wrote: [ -> ]I see... But I was still kidding, the BB I am developing, I want to be unique on... just to see if I can do it... right now I named it, FullOfErrorsBB :p

I don't know if much users will use a board with that name Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14