MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyNetwork
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Yep, it'll be free.

Some of the plugins that go into the Profile System module will need a subscription (currently 7.50€, the cost of a beer-and-burger from the pub Toungue)...
I thougt that MyNetwork will be something like a social network plugin for MyBB. So I installed the Core module on a test board...

(2009-02-18, 09:14 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]So, the idea is to provide (basic) "social networking" functions. The core of which will be:
  • User Status (similar to Twitter, Facebook Status, for example)
  • Profile Comments
  • Extended Buddylist
  • Extended Reputation System
  • Extended UserCP (to include things like interests, music, movies etc.)
  • Profile Views (maybe)
  • Poke Ability (you have no idea how much I use this on Facebook!)

... and I found nothing of these features. The only feature I found is the ability to set a mobile theme (is this really a social feature?).
Much of the Core doesn't do anything, except make it easier to produce plugins!

The release thread that was linked in my post above mentions the change; it quickly grew from people wanting social networking features to normal things you find on a forum, to asking me to produce things completely separate to any of these. So the fundamentals switched from being specifically a social networking plugin to a complete modular plugin that you build yourself. For example, the Profile System plugin (a MyNetwork Module) adds a social profile on the forum. But you then can choose to add in Twitter functions, or Facebook features that aren't in the actual Profile System. Essentially, you're building your own network of features to create a plugin you want, rather than fill it with things you'll never need.
In other words, the core is free, and you must pay to get the rest of the modules. :p
(2010-08-09, 01:13 AM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]In other words, the core is free, and you must pay to get the rest of the modules. :p

Indeed. Its a good model. He makes it easy, but if you want someone to do it for you. $$$.

You'll have my 10 bucks when you release the subscriptions.
I do support this mod. :p But currently I am broke. I think I will program my own profiles.

I have looked at it though in the past, and I can say I am very impressed with your work as always Tommy. Wink
Hm, sorry I don't get it... Maybe someone can explain it to me: Why should I write a plugin/module for MyNetwork when I can directly write it as a MyBB plugin?
(2010-08-09, 01:13 AM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]In other words, the core is free, and you must pay to get the rest of the modules. :p

Not strictly true! Most popular Modules, like the Profile System, will be free but will have premium (subscribers only) Features. I've always had difficulty explaining how it works, but it's really quite simple:

The Profile System is a free Module. Just like the Core has Features that plug into it, the Profile System has extra features available. This means you build up your own plugin out of features you specifically want, rather than me giving you a 2mb zip file with everything in it and expect you to live with it. I really hate that, and want to get away from the idea that you get what you're given.

Some of these additional features will be for subscribers only - not only to feed me with beer and burgers, but to extend their forum with something that extra bit special. Shy
(2010-08-09, 07:36 AM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]Hm, sorry I don't get it... Maybe someone can explain it to me: Why should I write a plugin/module for MyNetwork when I can directly write it as a MyBB plugin?

You don't have to, querschlaeger - and I certainly don't expect people to either. Most of MyNetwork can be written as normal MyBB plugins, but it's supposed to make things easier.

The idea behind MyNetwork is to completely replace entire sections of MyBB (like the Profile). But to do this, I believe in making sure it doesn't affect other plugins that are installed or overcrowd the normal areas of forums. If I start adding another 20 plugins, 14 setting groups, 126 settings, 4 template groups and 44 templates into MyBB - then release another module that starts adding another 4 plugins, 29 setting groups and 68 templates, things start getting messy really quickly.

I believe the Core organises this mess by splitting plugins up into Modules and Features. You install a module, then if you want to extend the module you add in a feature. All the settings a module (and any feature for that module) are easily found, rather than ratching and searching around through MyBB's setting groups. If you want to edit a template, you don't have to go through the mass of MyBB's default templates to get to it. And, of course, when you uninstall a module/feature, you have the option of completely removing it from the server. Soon, if you want to add a module or feature, you can do so right from the ACP - you won't need to download/upload packages, making sure you get the right files in the right place. It's these simple things that I believe MyNetwork to be different from the rest.

I don't expect you to believe in what I believe, but I believe it makes things better. Smile
1: Could you tell us what month do you predict for release?

2: Will it be available for both 1.4.X and 1.6.X or only 1.6.X?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36