MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Yii framework
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
I've read that and it looks great for the future but we'd have to be careful. We can hardly ask people to install composer to install MyBB - a lot of people already struggle with the current method of installation. If we could package it all and release it as a regular download then it would be fine.
I think I'm more sold on Laravel as a framework choice personally. I like everything I see and read about it more than Yii.

Their docs appear excellent and imho that's very important. Since I'm self taught I gotta have resources to read with clear examples.

This blog post does a great job of explaining the benefits of Laravel 4:
http://www.thenerdary.net/post/30859565484/laravel-4

The modular design imho would work better for a project like MyBB.

Isn't Composer only required to keep it updated live? I highly doubt it's required for a package install of existing files.
(2012-09-13, 10:20 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I think I'm more sold on Laravel as a framework choice personally. I like everything I see and read about it more than Yii.

Their docs appear excellent and imho that's very important. Since I'm self taught I gotta have resources to read with clear examples.

Same.

(2012-09-13, 10:20 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't Composer only required to keep it updated live? I highly doubt it's required for a package install of existing files.

You only need composer to install/update the components that you use in the project like twig or laravel4.

so for MyBB the best way would be to have everything in the git repo eg:

/vendor
composer.json
composer.lock
composer.phar

so the dev team can update the components but when you build the .zip file for each version remove the files

composer.json
composer.lock
composer.phar
(2012-09-13, 10:20 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]The modular design imho would work better for a project like MyBB.

Which is the main reason I suggested Laravel. Shy
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Laravel. I use it for all my projects these days and the little amount of time I've spent playing with L4 has only made me love it any more. I'm just saying we need to be careful when making the choice for obvious reasons.

As I say though, I'd love to code plugins using Laravel's Event class:

Event::listen('global_start', function()
{
    echo "Hello, World!";
});

So easy!
Laravel is clearly the top framework right now. L4 is going to be even more awesome. I use it too and I absolutely love it. It definitely has my vote.

My only concern was that it was developing too fast and that in a few months something completely different would be out. But the modular design and Composer fixes that. In the end MyBB will always be running off the latest Laravel code.
(2012-09-14, 11:55 AM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]Laravel is clearly the top framework right now. L4 is going to be even more awesome. I use it too and I absolutely love it. It definitely has my vote.

My only concern was that it was developing too fast and that in a few months something completely different would be out. But the modular design and Composer fixes that. In the end MyBB will always be running off the latest Laravel code.

As long as the syntax does not change much. Wink
The syntax isn't likely to change. They're changing a lot of the internal syntax so it doesn't use statics so much but you can still use the same syntax as Laravel 3.
The syntax of Laravel is imho more in tune with MyBB. I find the Yii syntax completely alien and makes me feel like I'm learning a new language.
Yii just isn't to my taste at all. I really don't want MyBB to go down that route at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23