MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Yii framework
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
What's this for:

Yii::app()->user->setFlash

And this:

$this->refresh();
(2012-09-27, 08:59 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]What's this for:

Yii::app()->user->setFlash

And this:

$this->refresh();

setFlash is similar to MyBB's redirect message feature ("Thank you for logging in..."), but it shows a simple banner on the next page instead of taking over a pageload.

Don't know what the second one is for.
Refreshes the current view.
(2012-09-26, 10:18 PM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]There is no proudly feel using bla-bla..bla., became the unique MyBB.

This is best summary of your statement. Its "bla-bla..bla." by man who makes up issues where there none, build on top of ignorance of enginnering aspect of whole thing.

(2012-09-26, 10:18 PM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]watching Yii is kind of a lazy programmer using Micro**** .NET (with many version)

And then you move from your parents house, start working to put food on your table and there comes painful realisation that there is nothing lazy about it - adult life is simply complete blueberry about time it gives you to spend on things you like doing.
(2012-09-26, 10:18 PM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]yeah, agree Smile

for me as beginner in PHP.
watching Yii is kind of a lazy programmer using Micro**** .NET (with many version)
or using Basic over Visual Basic.

But, I do understand if the framework will be more easier language, for big scalable system in the future.

Frameworks like Yii bring PHP from 1995 to the new millennium.
(2012-09-26, 08:43 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]7 reasons to switch from Drupal to Yii
http://erickennedy.org/Drupal-7-Reasons-to-Switch
^^^
At least we can eliminate any chance of using Drupal. Toungue

Come on, Drupal isn't a framework and should never even have been considered as a viable platform on which to build MyBB.

I have suggested using CI for 2.0 in the past and I am still a fan, and it has its merits, especially for backwards compatibility. However, if MyBB 2.0 is only going to support PHP 5.3+ then we should definitely consider Laravel 4 for all the reasons stated above.

I am a huge fan of Eloquent and the way Laravel is laid out is much more logical than CI imho. In CI, making calls on $this for everything just doesn't feel nice.
OK, this thread just reminded me of all the flaws of the PHP community has compared to the Ruby and Python web development communities. It's so hard to get people to accept standards in the PHP community. You want a good modern framework? Symfony2. It requires PHP 5.3.3 and is currently being implemented into Drupal 8 which is the biggest and most important PHP CMS out there (don't count Wordpress as a CMS because it's just a blogging tool that can be modified to do other things and poorly).

Lets not forget how much support Symfony2 is getting from the community right now, it's the #1 starred project on github at the moment. It also respects PHP de facto standards like PHPUnit. Lets also not forget that it has a company behind it, just like CodeIgniter and Zend.

My vote is for Symfony2, but if you don't want to choose that, I also recommend CodeIgniter over Yii without hesitation...
Symfony2 is really nice I must say. They have some of the best components out of all the PHP frameworks out there at the minute (they're so good that other framewoks use them. Eg: Laravel uses the Symfony2 router under the hood IIRC).

As we've stated a few times in this thread, we're not completely decided on the framework yet. 2.0 is still several years away at best and a lot can happen in that time. The PHP community is progressing and changing so quickly right now with more and more great features with every release. We want to be able to future proof ourselves against these new changes and keep up to date with standards as much as is possible.
Some thoughts:
Symfony2 needs a lot more configuration then YII.
Symfony2 does use Doctrine which is slower with huge databases then YIIs connector.
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=c...ii,symfony

Also remember that YII 2.0 will be used for MyBB 2,0 and not the current 1.X series. We are expecting a huge step forward here.
I wonder if there are any news on the framework-front of MyBB 2.0?

I saw some people posting about Laravel and some think MyBB 2.0 will have YII.

By the way, YII 2.0 is now on the way and the beta (not recommended for production) is public:
http://www.yiiframework.com/news/71/yii-...available/

It has some real kick-lime features compared with YII 1.X series. Changes include but are not limited to: Namespaces, Component and Object splitting, scenarios, new theme methods, ActiveRecord handling.
View this post for reference:
https://github.com/yiisoft/yii2/blob/mas...from-v1.md

Best regards
Lennart Sauter
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23