MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Yii framework
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
(2012-05-01, 05:13 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]have you heard what the Yii 2.0 timeline is?

Officially no.

(2012-05-01, 06:28 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]CI may not be using the latest MVC standards or every bell and whistle from php but I also wonder how much performance benefit there is from that. Heck it might even be a performance loss.

For me, it's a harder decision to make because of MyBB Group's structure. We could easily whap out 2.0 in Symfony - or CI - but we need to make this product last 5 (or more) years. None of the major frameworks have advanced quickly to match PHP's development; the only one I see and believe is taking that step is Yii.

Quicker frameworks like Laravel, Fuel and Fat Free - and larger frameworks such as Symfony and CI - may mean 2.0 is there quicker but at what cost? Another MyBB rewrite because the core framework is no longer supported within 3 years? Tough decision and one we are continuing to discuss.
wow if MyBB went CI, I would be soooo happy....
Quote:For me, it's a harder decision to make because of MyBB Group's structure. We could easily whap out 2.0 in Symfony - or CI - but we need to make this product last 5 (or more) years. None of the major frameworks have advanced quickly to match PHP's development; the only one I see and believe is taking that step is Yii.

Yeah I understand that perspective. You're trying to make MyBB ahead of the curve but that's dangerous if the curve is beyond the base.

Quote:wow if MyBB went CI, I would be soooo happy....

Would be nice to see a public poll from dev team. It's should make it's decision based on popularity alone but I have to think it's part of the equation. Dev team has to build it but the community has to use it and authors have to be comfortable with it.

CI code does appear...hmm..how to say it..."dated" at least in comparison to Yii. But are massive frameworks and MVC really going to be the future of most php projects? I'm not so sure. I think high-end developers building in-house projects definitely benefit from frameworks but MyBB is in a way it's own framework as a forum software. So we're gonna have plugin->mybb->yii as the structure to all the code. And the Yii structure and code imho is not easily interpreted. I'm an average php coder but MyBB has allowed me to make extensive plugins because it's simple to understand and follow patterns. When I look at Yii...I don't see any patterns. I just see files calling classes calling classes. Makes no sense to me at all. I know that's a personal shortcoming and hopefully I can find the time to complete the tutorials.

But I found this to be really easy:
http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/news/co...tch-day-1/

Tomm...Is the goal of 2.0 to use a framework or to build forum software? CI appears imho to be base ready for MyBB to start adding some libraries (jquery) and begin coding now. I think it's troubling that Yii 2.0 has no beta or release date and we're waiting on them. What does it mean if they go to 3.0? You might decide that you want 2.0 to use a current framework but what about using one that's stable, tried, and true? CI as far as I know is one of the oldest frameworks around with years of code and tutorials all relevent to current CI version.

What will happen with Yii 2.0? Will all current tuts be irrelevant?

I really dislike Yii's naming conventions too. Really dislike it a lot.

But again I know that whatever Tomm decides that MyBB will still be the best project around.
(2012-05-01, 04:36 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'm rooting for Code Igniter. After comparing I think it's the closest to current MyBB. It doesn't feel as alien to me. I've really probably spent way too much time on frameworks I'll never use but I wanted to see what was intuitive for me.

I feel the same I have tried to use Yii many times but i find it very hard to get going, Plus their docs do not seems very helpful compared to CodeIgniter.

(2012-05-01, 09:56 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]For me, it's a harder decision to make because of MyBB Group's structure. We could easily whap out 2.0 in Symfony - or CI - but we need to make this product last 5 (or more) years.

looking at yii's past their older versions where deprecated much before 5 years.

(2012-05-01, 11:04 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]What will happen with Yii 2.0? Will all current tuts be irrelevant?

Most likely, as it looks like Yii might be rewriting the lot with how long its taking them to get it out.

Quote:wow if MyBB went CI, I would be soooo happy....
Same.

Codeigniter might seem dated as said in this thread but it is still been developed and improved.
https://github.com/EllisLab/CodeIgniter/...s/develop/

I really do not care what you use as long as its easy for plugin dev's to get their heads around and if its anything like some app's i have downloaded that have been build on yii I am i am going to be scared of MyBB 2.0
Quote:I really do not care what you use as long as its easy for plugin dev's to get their heads around and if its anything like some app's i have downloaded that have been build on yii I am i am going to be scared of MyBB 2.0

Same here. I can't complain if devs make it easy to understand and write plugins for MyBB. However if I'm forced to learn Yii and deal with it instead I will definitely be out of my comfort zone.

If Yii is so great why are they rebuilding it? It just seems that their devs might be more interested in writing the most complex and latest php code they can instead of a usable framework for the masses.

I think a consideration for the ability of your base has to be part of the equation when writing code.
(2012-05-01, 10:44 PM)Jitendra M Wrote: [ -> ]wow if MyBB went CI, I would be soooo happy....

Me too.

I have been using CI for a quite a time, and when i looked at Yii's docs, they never made me want to switch to them.
I won't say Yii is hard to learn, but CI is much easier to learn, and any new PHP programmer can easily adopt to its standards.
CI just seems like a more natural progression for the MyBB code from procedural php to OOP MVC model without a shock treatment to an advanced framework.

I wonder if a poll was taken for authors asking how many are using OOP vs procedural what would the results be. I know a couple good plugin authors that definitely seem to code in an OOP style but I think most do not.
I really would love for CodeIgniter to be implemented. You can say that it is for noobs, but that is partially what MyBB is - forum software that is easy to use and extend.

CodeIgniter has extremely good documentation, and plugins would be much easier to write (I believe).

CodeIgniter just feels organized. Yii looks all random to me. Like labrocca said, that may be a shortcoming for me. But it also proves that MyBB needs an easy to pick up framework.

Yii looks like Yii::asduhcd()->sfufdbrushrbg()...
CodeIgniter is what, parent::Controller(); or $this->load->view("viewfile");

You guys (the devs) as PHP pros may see Yii as easy - but it looks like Greek unless you read a hundred million books. I feel that this could impede the extensibility of MyBB.

My point is not that the devs are stupid or ignorant. But users and devs think differently — guaranteed. I have faith that the team can make a good decision, but I am also moderately concerned at this point in time.

About Symfony -- I have heard it has a heck of a learning curve. That is not what you want, at least if you want extensibility well-preserved.

As labrocca said, if the devs make it super easy, then I can't complain. But it needs to be, IMO, even easier and better documented than now. I have yet to create a plugin successfully - I understand PHP just fine, but MyBB takes me a while to pick up for some reason.

Labrocca basically summed up everything I wish to say.
I would certainly prefer to see CI used over Yii. It's not my preferred framework out of any choice in the world (I've already made clear what is elsewhere - no need to go into it again). CI is so much easier to understand than Yii. It has a far better class naming convention and an awesome set of documentation behind it.
(2012-05-02, 01:22 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I would certainly prefer to see CI used over Yii. It's not my preferred framework out of any choice in the world (I've already made clear what is elsewhere - no need to go into it again). CI is so much easier to understand than Yii. It has a far better class naming convention and an awesome set of documentation behind it.

Ah yes, Mr. FuelPHP Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23