MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Yii framework
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
(2014-08-26, 03:50 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Don't use CodeIgniter. It's dead.

That's true! Though it provides a very simple point of view, maybe even simplistic, and I advice newbies to start experimenting with that before moving to something bigger. I don't advice using it of course on big projects like MyBB ^^
Now that the mybb 1.8 has been released, it's time to decide which framework to be used...
Without that decision the development of 2.0 if either begins.
At the minute it's still likely Laravel will be used. Laravel 4.3 (or possibly 5 - Taylor has yet to decide on the version number) was just announced at Laracon.eu and it brings quite a lot of nice new features.
(2014-09-02, 06:37 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]At the minute it's still likely Laravel will be used. Laravel 4.3 (or possibly 5 - Taylor has yet to decide on the version number) was just announced at Laracon.eu and it brings quite a lot of nice new features.

Yii was discarded by the size of the community? or was the performance (speed and resource usage of the server)?
It was mostly due to the slow development on 2.x. We were waiting to see how version 2 would look and it was taking too long. Even now it's not actually finish and ready to be used in production. Laravel is stable and up to date. The community is a good size and there are lots of resources.
@Euan T
thanks for the response.
One more question, will be officially announced by the decision of choosing Laravel?
Yes, the plan is to develop 2.0 in the open as it should be. There will be a repository on GitHub as there has been for 1.8 and we will keep the community updated on plans and decisions.
(2014-09-02, 08:03 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the plan is to develop 2.0 in the open as it should be. There will be a repository on GitHub as there has been for 1.8 and we will keep the community updated on plans and decisions.

As long as this repo is open more toward the start instead of after most major development, this makes me very very happy to hear. Would like to be able to add some OSS contributions to my list of accomplishments, and being in the know from the start helps.
That's the plan as far as I know. It'll likely work the same way 1.8 has, with community threads for suggesting features and reporting issues, which will be pushed to GitHub and pull requests to supply the patches/features linked to those issues.
TBH that way fe(lt|els) weird and messy and doesn't really utilise the features of GitHub - the fact that GH makes it really simple for anyone to contribute but you put the barrier of having to go through the forums for everything.
Getting approval beforehand for big-ish changes/features makes sense but for small fixes it just adds to the complexity - I feel like it'd be less confusing/more efficient to take GitHub out of it and just host the repo on the MyBB site and accept git patches for it, that'd take one hop out of contributing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23