MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Yii framework
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
(2014-01-31, 08:06 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]The only issue I may have with Laravel is it's rapid rate of development. IIRC, Taylor has already provided assurances to the MyBB team on that front.

That is supposed to slow down at this point. In it's beginnings they had to catch up to get to the point where they wanted. I get the feeling they've reached that point. Obviously there will be updates to keep up with technology. But it shouldn't be super overwhelming.
There are still breaking changes going on now (e.g.: https://github.com/laravelbook/ardent/pull/154). There is a lot of controversy around Laravel - most of it unwarranted.
The YII 2 Beta has been released in april by the way, the stable version isn't far away as far as we can judge by github repo: http://www.yiiframework.com/news/77/yii-...-released/

Not sure if anybody from thhe team looked into it, yet that we are close to thhe 1.8 gold/stable version.
Yii looks impressive since I last looked at it. PSR-4, DI Container, Codeception, etc. are all awesome. But that is the case with most PHP frameworks. Why should we choose Yii over Laravel, for example, which has a much larger community?

For me it's also disappointing Yii is not leveraging Symfony (correct me if I'm wrong). They're reinventing the wheel unnecessarily. Symfony's well-tested components provide for a solid foundation. Not to mention Symfony has SensioLabs behind it, a company which recently raised $1 million dollars in seed funding. Symfony is here to stay.

P.S. How the hell do you even pronounce Yii? Toungue
(2014-08-25, 11:59 AM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]Yii looks impressive since I last looked at it. PSR-4, DI Container, Codeception, etc. are all awesome. But that is the case with most PHP frameworks. Why should we choose Yii over Laravel, for example, which has a much larger community?

For me it's also disappointing Yii is not leveraging Symfony (correct me if I'm wrong). They're reinventing the wheel unnecessarily. Symfony's well-tested components provide for a solid foundation. Not to mention Symfony has SensioLabs behind it, a company which recently raised $1 million dollars in seed funding. Symfony is here to stay.

P.S. How the hell do you even pronounce Yii? Toungue

I pronounce it yeeee haha. I'm hoping for Laravel, they seem to have calmed down their releases, Symfony for me is a little bloated, however Laravel leverage the components is as mentioned previously a solid foundation.
(2014-08-25, 11:59 AM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]P.S. How the hell do you even pronounce Yii? Toungue

Quote:Yii is pronounced as Yee or [ji:], and is an acroynym for "Yes It Is!

Taken from the first text part on the about page of the YII official website Wink

You can use Symfony components with YII 2 by the way, as well as Zend components which does support a lot of nice possibilities for embedding - think of Pimcore for example Cool
I've been doing quite a bit of scripting using the Laravel. It's pretty awesome. I also tried yii. The older version of yii felt quite bloated in comparison to Laravel. Not sure about the 2.0 though. I haven't touched it yet.
I've looked at Yii 2 a couple of times during its development. It's a big improvement over the 1.x branch, but I'd want to know the frameworks been well tested before using it for a large project such as MyBB.
This is just my point of view, if anyone would need my advice on using one PHP framework or another, I'd say :

- Symfony2 : If you're looking for a very complete PHP framework, supported by a very large community and also very popular, natively supporting Doctrine2. What I mean by complete, except from the basic features you may find in any framework nowadays (caching, db handling, routing, namespacing...), there are also many many "bundles" available on the internet developed in a very sophisticated way, like FriendsOfSymfony or KnPBundle (2368 bundles up to now), it's almost impossible not to find support for what you need. Plus, it provides you with a very sophisticated and colorful command line interface CLI, which I personally am very fan of.

- CodeIgniter : If you're looking for a very lightweight, elastic framework that you can easily understand and use, although, it being elastic means it needs many tweaking if you want to integrate ORMs like Doctrine2.
Don't use CodeIgniter. It's dead.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23