MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Yii framework
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Yes, Laravel 5 is coming in November, but at least it has an actual release date attached to it Wink The current choice is Laravel. I haven't seen any arguments against it yet and it's the framework that most of us are used to using - hence improving development time. Zend never even got mentioned, most of the companies I've worked with still use ZF1 so I've not looked much at ZF2. First impressions aren't great though.
(2014-09-29, 07:06 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-29, 06:59 PM)rob006 Wrote: [ -> ]Laravel 5 is coming in november, with is probably later than stable version of Yii 2.
https://twitter.com/laravelphp/status/51...5553998848

You sure?  Yii's current rate of development wouldn't let me believe so.  

They saying about two weeks to GA. But it does not matter, from now there will not be big changes in the framework, so the work could be started even on the current release.
Besides, Yii has at least RC, and Laravel 5? There is not even beta. They just come and say "tadah, here is 'stable' Laravel 5"? Big Grin
Laravel 5 isn't a massive change from Laravel 4, unlike Yii 2 is to Yii 1. Laravel 5 was originally going to be 4.3. Most of the code is the same, it's just the folder layout that is changing and a few added features. I'm already using the development branch at work.
(2014-09-29, 07:31 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Laravel 5 isn't a massive change from Laravel 4, unlike Yii 2 is to Yii 1. Laravel 5 was originally going to be 4.3. Most of the code is the same, it's just the folder layout that is changing and a few added features. I'm already using the development branch at work.

Wonder why Laravel 5 release date is compared to YII 2 then. MyBB 1.8 took longer then 1.6.x series minor updates  too...

In my opinion, Laravel is chosen because some people of the MyBB dev team have to use it anyway. I do not see a real comparison of the frameworks being done if I read your posts:

Quote:so I've not looked much at ZF2. First impressions aren't great though.

In the past, the MyBB community was able to take a big impact on the development, providing ideas and input on how to get things done. The framework MyBB 2.0 will use will determine a lot of the new version and the community has no choice here, as it seems to me. There is no public comparison, I always hear that Laravel is set in stone.

So again:
A public comparison of the frameworks with pros and cons of the frameworks for MyBB by the team would be nice for the community to follow.
But I do not see this happen if developers do not even bother looking at some of the most important PHP frameworks of 2014 or hide between RC/Beta/Gold discussions.

2.0 will be a breaking change for MyBB series and if the framework will not fit, it'll brake the user base too.

EDIT: Might be interesting - although a more data based comparison would be more appreciated.
Anyone could easily find articles claiming that yii is better than laravel and laravel is better than yii.

It would be great to get an actual unbiased comparison between the two (features, performance, requirements, etc) on this website for everyone to see. I am sure if yii2 could be proven the better option for MyBB the devs would switch in a heartbeat. But that hasn't been done yet.
http://vschart.com/compare/laravel/vs/yii Seems like a good comparison, as far as features are concerned anyways. Requirements for the project would have to be provided by staff probably.
(2014-09-29, 11:15 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 will be a breaking change for MyBB series and if the framework will not fit, it'll brake the user base too.

You're being over-dramatic here. I highly doubt that the user-base would drop MyBB over a framework choice.
Many people who use MyBB probably don't even know what a framework is.

There are many potential mistakes which MyBB could pull which destroys their user-base.
This is not vaguely near one of them. For one, the main people who are impacted by this are the developers and plugin developers were going to have to adapt either way from the current hook system.
If you're going to argue about something which actually affects most admins, then let's discuss the template engine which I believe was going to be a standalone library..?

It would be one thing if a bunch of people agreed to help develop MyBB in exchange for using Yii, but people who have nothing to do with development dictating how the developers do things in their area of expertise seems short sighted.
(2014-09-30, 12:47 AM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]It would be one thing if a bunch of people agreed to help develop MyBB in exchange for using Yii, but people who have nothing to do with development dictating how the developers do things in their area of expertise seems short sighted.

I'm guessing that all users proposing Yii here are Yii developers and would like to use MyBB and integrate it with their systems, both written in Yii. They are potential developers to help develop the forum engine and writing plugins.
(2014-09-30, 12:35 AM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone could easily find articles claiming that yii is better than laravel and laravel is better than yii.  

It would be great to get an actual unbiased comparison between the two (features, performance, requirements, etc) on this website for everyone to see.  I am sure if yii2 could be proven the better option for MyBB the devs would switch in a heartbeat.  But that hasn't been done yet.

It was the first google result for "yii vs laravel" - I just wanted to show, that I'd like to have a comparison here. I even wrote myself that a comparison should be based on data, on numbers. The linked post is just interesting, no base to build a solid opinion.

(2014-09-30, 12:47 AM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-29, 11:15 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 will be a breaking change for MyBB series and if the framework will not fit, it'll brake the user base too.

You're being over-dramatic here. I highly doubt that the user-base would drop MyBB over a framework choice.
Many people who use MyBB probably don't even know what a framework is.

One thing people care about is third party integration. With Wordpress, Drupal, Facebook and so on. There are so many wishes for a CMS with MyBB. If a framework is being used, it'll be easy to integrate other software based on that framework too. Eg. Doptor integration if Laravel is being used. That'll simplify a lot and therefor will decide about number and quality of extensions and integration. That will matter.
I myself integrated MyBB with Drupal, Wordpress, Facebook and Google+. I also use it on clients projects with Typo3, Zend Framework and YII Framework. However, I never integrated a highly framework based application with another framework. That would be nonsense. You can use parts of course - e.g. symfony bundles or Zend classes in other frameworks but not two complete frameworks. The footprint is too high.
We use Pimcore (based on Zend) for example as enterprise CMS in our company. And we do use YII for some projects. And we have projects based on symfony here. But we do not mix them up for the written reasons.

Quote:If you're going to argue about something which actually affects most admins, then let's discuss the template engine which I believe was going to be a standalone library..?

Open a thread for this one, I'm ready to discuss that too Smile

Quote:It would be one thing if a bunch of people agreed to help develop MyBB in exchange for using Yii, but people who have nothing to do with development dictating how the developers do things in their area of expertise seems short sighted.

I'm a developer too, my focus is on addons and integration for MyBB. I thought about working with the dev team but github is supported in a weird way and contributing outside the team just takes up too much time.
Please note that I don't want to dictate the devs something. I'd just like to see a public discussion/comparison. Of course the people developing 2.0 will have to decide which framework is ultimately used. And if they do, I wish for a explanation why, as a MyBB admin and as a developer.
I fear that laravel will drop the performance and lead to a dead end. So I'm discussing alternatives. If the devs decide for whatever reason that it'll be Laravel, I'll accept that of course (I'd have no choice anyway Wink ) and see if I'll continue using MyBB or switch somewhere else. But that's my decision then and has no effect on the development.

(2014-09-30, 09:04 AM)rob006 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-09-30, 12:47 AM)Axareal Wrote: [ -> ]It would be one thing if a bunch of people agreed to help develop MyBB in exchange for using Yii, but people who have nothing to do with development dictating how the developers do things in their area of expertise seems short sighted.

I'm guessing that all users proposing Yii here are Yii developers and would like to use MyBB and integrate it with their systems, both written in Yii. They are potential developers to help develop the forum engine and writing plugins.

I'm developing on many frameworks as most professionals propably do. It really depends on the software. Pimcore CMS would be much better on ZF3 then current ZF1 for example. And some YII applications would've been better developed with Symfony. It's not about YII, it's about finding the right framework for the right reasons.
I'm a developer too, and I will help them develop 2.0 regardless of what framework they use.

Am I reading this right that for the most part Laravel and Yii have mostly the same features from a truly development standpoint. Yii seems to include some additional things that are more components (like a wysiwyg) than framework? And that Laravel has a smaller footprint?

In that case I would go with Laravel. Yii seems to stick things to you that you might not necessarily want.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23