MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyChat, a minimal and powerful AJAX chat for MyBB 1.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(2013-01-18, 09:41 AM)Tecca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 09:14 AM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Ehhh, not everyone is going to be running on a dedicated server. So your just developing this plugin for anyone that's running on a dedicated server ? Lol. A one second interval is total madness no matter what your running it on.

Lol your dedicated server is down lol

He never said that. Undecided

Not directly no. Theres a 1 second interval (madness), its being developed for the public. His reply implied that by using a dedicated server, a one second interval is fine, which it isn't. I don't care if he's running a dedicated server with 5million gb of dedicated ram on his testing forum. That makes no difference to the 75% of users using a shared host. Currently that shoutbox will throttle a server and cause your hosting account to get suspended in some cases.
First of all, the demo site isn't liked to my dedicated server. It's part of a shared hosting plan, a free one actually, so I don't even pay for it.

Secondly, in my previous messages I said: "Yes, I set the refresh interval to 1 to show how the chat works with the smallest amount of reload seconds." I though it was obvious that you'll have the possibility to change the update interval to your needs. Using a dedicated server, I can afford an istant update interval (10 users = 0.03 of server load actually, that's nothing), whereas I can see that on shared servers this will surely cause an overload or something similar. You'll be able to set your interval.
(2013-01-18, 12:55 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]First of all, the demo site isn't liked to my dedicated server. It's part of a shared hosting plan, a free one actually, so I don't even pay for it.

Secondly, in my previous messages I said: "Yes, I set the refresh interval to 1 to show how the chat works with the smallest amount of reload seconds." I though it was obvious that you'll have the possibility to change the update interval to your needs. Using a dedicated server, I can afford an istant update interval (10 users = 0.03 of server load actually, that's nothing), whereas I can see that on shared servers this will surely cause an overload or something similar. You'll be able to set your interval.

Dont just "assume" that we know what settings are available. if you've got a setting to change the interval, then say you got a setting. Especially when people are talking about the interval issue. Having said that, what makes this shoutbox any different to pirata nervo's shoutbox and the one recently created at mybbextras ?

From your previous posts here on pirata's shoutbox I gather you are trying to eradicate the interval in which the shoutbox updates shouts. So by adding the interval option is that not actually defeating the purpose of why you started to develop this shoutbox in the first place ?
There are a lot of reasons why I started this project development: the main reason is that I was searching for a shoutbox that appends new shouts and removes only the target shout instead of updating the entire shoutbox. Neither MyShoutbox or MyChat do. Mine does, and fluidly animates those shouts, resulting in a better impact to the users and to its usage IMHO.

There are also many differences between my plugin and those you mentioned. The approach I use to display and remove shouts is slightly different, and that's why I can delete a shoutbox and you can see it being removed "live" with the same animation, for example. Little things that other plugins don't offer.

The biggest leap regards the chat management actually. I'm currently developing an ACP module in which you'll be able to add new shoutboxes to any Forums you desire, or to the index. And that's also why the board is currently closed (I left a message there, explaining alpha 0.2 is in development on the board itself and cannot currently be enjoyed).
(2013-01-18, 01:04 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 12:55 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]First of all, the demo site isn't liked to my dedicated server. It's part of a shared hosting plan, a free one actually, so I don't even pay for it.

Dont just "assume" that we know what settings are available. if you've got a setting to change the interval, then say you got a setting. Especially when people are talking about the interval issue. Having said that, what makes this shoutbox any different to pirata nervo's shoutbox and the one recently created at mybbextras ?

From your previous posts here on pirata's shoutbox I gather you are trying to eradicate the interval in which the shoutbox updates shouts. So by adding the interval option is that not actually defeating the purpose of why you started to develop this shoutbox in the first place ?

If your plan cannot handle his shoutbox, than don't use it.
(2013-01-18, 01:29 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 01:04 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]

If your plan cannot handle his shoutbox, than don't use it.

@jason
Thats your blinkered opinion. As a developer, creating something that only works properly under certain circumstances (If my plan can handle it) shows the amateur side of that developer.

@shade
Whats the point in having fluid animated shouts if its pounding the server ? I think you should concentrate on that side of things rather than the visual aspect of it. Get it working correctly first, then worry about the visual end.
I got it working properly and better than other shoutboxes :/ Server load isn't a problem even on shared hosting thanks to this feature I've added.
It's not amateur to develop something for a specific group of people. I can't deal with this ...
(2013-01-18, 03:56 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]It's not amateur to develop something for a specific group of people. I can't deal with this ...

Yes exactly, that "specific" group of people are mybb users that use shared hosting, dedicated hosting etc.... You would want to be nuts to jeopardise your hosting account by using a shoutbox with an interval of 1 second. Its fine if you have 10 users, but what about the forums that have hundreds of users online at the same time, lunacy.
Yes, but as Shade has already said, there is a setting for the refresh interval...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13