MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyChat, a minimal and powerful AJAX chat for MyBB 1.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(2013-01-25, 07:07 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-25, 07:02 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Lets not argue, there's more than enough of that in this thread. Although you know what I meant, your just on the defensive.

What I meant was its bad practice as a developer to create something that can only be used by a minority and in this case it is the minority as they use dedicated servers and are the only likely users that will use this shoutbox without hogging a server. The majority of mybb users use shared hosting. Its also better business sense to create something for the majority whether its a paid application or not.

I also want to point out that I was finished with this thread a few days ago, pirata resurrected it lol Big Grin

No...it's not bad practice. If it's his target audience, it's not a bad practice. My example shows how wrong you are and I'm not on the defensive, you're the one arguing for the sake of it. This thread shows it perfectly. I proved my point, you keep arguing against it and against others' despite yours being proven wrong already.

Sorry for hijacking the thread and good luck with the project.

I'm not arguing , I couldn't give a dam really. I'm just being honest and giving my opinion. Something you guys seem to get up tight about. But that's your problem not mine lol. Something you personally need to deal with.
Also some plugins don't work with out pluginlibrary. Anyway this looks great good luck with the development, hope it goes ok. Big Grin
Really hoping you continue this at some point. Looks like a kickass plugin if I ever saw one.
(2013-01-31, 08:18 AM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]Really hoping you continue this at some point. Looks like a kickass plugin if I ever saw one.

I'm currently working on my new website testing it and I'm fairly happy with its very low impact on the server so far. I'm using a quite small VPS but everyone should be able to use it once it'll be released (if it will be released, actually).

I found two relevant bugs within the current alpha version of iDLChat, and one looks like a potential XSS vulnerability which SHOULD be present in MyShoutbox too. Basically, data is passed from client to server and viceversa with a pseudo-unique string used to split the received data into an array of shouts. If the user knows this pseudo-unique string, then he should be able to include any javascript snippet he wants which would be executed client-side. If my interpretation is correct, then any user could potentially gain superuser access for the shoutbox and use any moderation tool permitted within.

The second bug consists in a misconception of how the data is parsed to obtain the live deletion effect. If you reach the max limit specified in ACP, then when you add a shout the last one should be deleted to remain into the shouts limit, and when you delete one you should see the previous messages appear back in the lowest part of the shoutbox.

This happens only for the user who actually deleted the shout. The others see the shout deletion but the previous shout is prepended instead of appended to the DOM and so you see it at the top as like as a new shout would do.

I'm solving both those two important issues rewriting a lot of existing functions. Data will not be parsed through a pseudo-unique string but it will be directly passed within a JSONed object, and new/deleted shouts will be handled by their unique IDs rather than themselves.
iDLChat alpha 0.2 is now live at ProjectX Test Board.
Just a suggestion, hiding the shout input box and other options should be hidden from guests IMO.
That's planned for the next version. I'm building up a permissions system also for managing better who can delete and who can view shouts.

Other features planned so far:
- sticky shouts: this types of shouts won't follow the others and will remain stuck on top of the shoutbox. Useful for quick announcements you want to beware all the users of without posting it again when the shout turns hidden.
- warn user: you'll be able to warn users with a click of a button near their shouts.
- visual moderation commands: no more commands like /delete all, you'll manage the shoutbox with real buttons and inputs.
(2013-01-31, 04:57 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-31, 08:18 AM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]Really hoping you continue this at some point. Looks like a kickass plugin if I ever saw one.
I'm using a quite small VPS but everyone should be able to use it once it'll be released (if it will be released, actually).

D:

Please release this! It'd definitely be a MyShoutbox killer.

(sorry Pirata, I respect your efforts, but MSB is a bit naff for my tastes.)

Also, a few suggestions:

- Chat channels. I've only ever seen this implemented properly in a modified MGC Chatbox instance on vBulletin 3.6. Basically, admins can specify channels, and once in any channel, all shouts from other channels are hidden. Channels are also configurable; you could set who/which groups could view said channel, which groups have what permissions in which channels, etc.. Could use your unique "destructor" on out-of-focus channels to save on server load, too!

- For the love of God, the abiluity to change the name of the shoutbox div/table/what-have-you from the settings page. I hate having to dig through templates and language files just to change one thing.
(2013-02-02, 11:23 AM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-31, 04:57 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]
I'm using a quite small VPS but everyone should be able to use it once it'll be released (if it will be released, actually).

D:

Please release this! It'd definitely be a MyShoutbox killer.

(sorry Pirata, I respect your efforts, but MSB is a bit naff for my tastes.)

Also, a few suggestions:

- Chat channels. I've only ever seen this implemented properly in a modified MGC Chatbox instance on vBulletin 3.6. Basically, admins can specify channels, and once in any channel, all shouts from other channels are hidden. Channels are also configurable; you could set who/which groups could view said channel, which groups have what permissions in which channels, etc.. Could use your unique "destructor" on out-of-focus channels to save on server load, too!

- For the love of God, the abiluity to change the name of the shoutbox div/table/what-have-you from the settings page. I hate having to dig through templates and language files just to change one thing.

I'm thinking about it and I'll probably release it in two different versions.

A "lite" version, for free, which will contains the basic shoutbox packed with live deletion and other "basic" features. A "pro" version, will cost between 2 to 5$, which will include advanced moderation, sticky shouts, and why not, multiple channels support.

I'm working really hard to improve it every day I write down its code, and I have very few money left so 2-5 bucks per copy may motivate me keeping its development up (and of course, would repay my efforts I'm putting into it).

This is NOT my final decision, I'll think about it furthermore later on.
i buy it whatever its cost
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13