MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyChat, a minimal and powerful AJAX chat for MyBB 1.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(2013-01-18, 06:32 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]That's the problem around here, people just say "oh its lovely, oh its brilliant" etc..... just to get their hands on it and totally ignore the implications of it. And I for one am not going to praise anyone just to get the plugin quicker, I give my honest opinion. Everything else is fine BTW, its just the interval thing that's the issue here.

I agree that it's often too sweet on this forum.

However there is difference between pointing out an issue and dwelling on it on 2 thread pages although it was explained few times that the interval will be changeable.

Also posting a better solution would be nicer than just telling it's bad and will kill servers.
(2013-01-18, 06:57 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 06:32 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]That's the problem around here, people just say "oh its lovely, oh its brilliant" etc..... just to get their hands on it and totally ignore the implications of it. And I for one am not going to praise anyone just to get the plugin quicker, I give my honest opinion. Everything else is fine BTW, its just the interval thing that's the issue here.

I agree that it's often too sweet on this forum.

However there is difference between pointing out an issue and dwelling on it on 2 thread pages although it was explained few times that the interval will be changeable.

Also posting a better solution would be nicer than just telling it's bad and will kill servers.

I don't have a solution, I'm not developing it. But when something is being developed for this community or any community I would expect it to be done correctly. There's no point in telling someone its perfect when it's not. Anyway that's my issue with it so I'm done with this topic.

Again I hope this works out in the end.
There was no issue to begin with. Frank.Berry assumed that the refresh interval was set at 1 without it being an editable setting, and now we're a couple of pages in and still arguing about something that has been cleared up.
Yep, please just stop it. I've included it in the plugin, there's no point to continue arguing.
....lol! Glad I missed that shitstorm.

Anyways I like what you've done so far Shade, thanks for linking me the other day. But that collapse icon still doesn't work. xD Oh, and how are you doing the button styling for it, rather, will it be editable?

Keep it up.
(2013-01-18, 03:41 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 01:29 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 01:04 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 12:55 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]First of all, the demo site isn't liked to my dedicated server. It's part of a shared hosting plan, a free one actually, so I don't even pay for it.

Secondly, in my previous messages I said: "Yes, I set the refresh interval to 1 to show how the chat works with the smallest amount of reload seconds." I though it was obvious that you'll have the possibility to change the update interval to your needs. Using a dedicated server, I can afford an istant update interval (10 users = 0.03 of server load actually, that's nothing), whereas I can see that on shared servers this will surely cause an overload or something similar. You'll be able to set your interval.

Dont just "assume" that we know what settings are available. if you've got a setting to change the interval, then say you got a setting. Especially when people are talking about the interval issue. Having said that, what makes this shoutbox any different to pirata nervo's shoutbox and the one recently created at mybbextras ?

From your previous posts here on pirata's shoutbox I gather you are trying to eradicate the interval in which the shoutbox updates shouts. So by adding the interval option is that not actually defeating the purpose of why you started to develop this shoutbox in the first place ?

If your plan cannot handle his shoutbox, than don't use it.

@jason
Thats your blinkered opinion. As a developer, creating something that only works properly under certain circumstances (If my plan can handle it) shows the amateur side of that developer.

@shade
Whats the point in having fluid animated shouts if its pounding the server ? I think you should concentrate on that side of things rather than the visual aspect of it. Get it working correctly first, then worry about the visual end.

MyBB plugins only work under certain circumstances: you need to have MyBB installed. Your logic is flawed.
(2013-01-25, 05:10 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 03:41 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 01:29 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 01:04 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 12:55 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]First of all, the demo site isn't liked to my dedicated server. It's part of a shared hosting plan, a free one actually, so I don't even pay for it.

Secondly, in my previous messages I said: "Yes, I set the refresh interval to 1 to show how the chat works with the smallest amount of reload seconds." I though it was obvious that you'll have the possibility to change the update interval to your needs. Using a dedicated server, I can afford an istant update interval (10 users = 0.03 of server load actually, that's nothing), whereas I can see that on shared servers this will surely cause an overload or something similar. You'll be able to set your interval.

Dont just "assume" that we know what settings are available. if you've got a setting to change the interval, then say you got a setting. Especially when people are talking about the interval issue. Having said that, what makes this shoutbox any different to pirata nervo's shoutbox and the one recently created at mybbextras ?

From your previous posts here on pirata's shoutbox I gather you are trying to eradicate the interval in which the shoutbox updates shouts. So by adding the interval option is that not actually defeating the purpose of why you started to develop this shoutbox in the first place ?

If your plan cannot handle his shoutbox, than don't use it.

@jason
Thats your blinkered opinion. As a developer, creating something that only works properly under certain circumstances (If my plan can handle it) shows the amateur side of that developer.

@shade
Whats the point in having fluid animated shouts if its pounding the server ? I think you should concentrate on that side of things rather than the visual aspect of it. Get it working correctly first, then worry about the visual end.

MyBB plugins only work under certain circumstances: you need to have MyBB installed. Your logic is flawed.

And your logic is weird. Obviously I meant with the exception of having mybb installed. Don't take it so literal next time. I didn't think I needed to point that out, but there you go. That's just weird. Dodgy
I'm just pointing out the fact that something works under certain circumstances and not under others, it doesn't mean it's not done properly (like you were saying). MyBB plugins are made to be run under certain circumstances and so do a lot of other things.

Following your logic (you said "Thats your blinkered opinion. As a developer, creating something that only works properly under certain circumstances (If my plan can handle it) shows the amateur side of that developer." after Jason L. said "If your plan cannot handle his shoutbox, than don't use it.", I couldn't make an application which requires an 8 core CPU because it doesn't work for some people.

You were the one to take it literally.
Lets not argue, there's more than enough of that in this thread. Although you know what I meant, your just on the defensive.

What I meant was its bad practice as a developer to create something that can only be used by a minority and in this case it is the minority as they use dedicated servers and are the only likely users that will use this shoutbox without hogging a server. The majority of mybb users use shared hosting. Its also better business sense to create something for the majority whether its a paid application or not.

I also want to point out that I was finished with this thread a few days ago, pirata resurrected it lol Big Grin
(2013-01-25, 07:02 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Lets not argue, there's more than enough of that in this thread. Although you know what I meant, your just on the defensive.

What I meant was its bad practice as a developer to create something that can only be used by a minority and in this case it is the minority as they use dedicated servers and are the only likely users that will use this shoutbox without hogging a server. The majority of mybb users use shared hosting. Its also better business sense to create something for the majority whether its a paid application or not.

I also want to point out that I was finished with this thread a few days ago, pirata resurrected it lol Big Grin

No...it's not bad practice. If it's his target audience, it's not a bad practice. My example shows how wrong you are and I'm not on the defensive, you're the one arguing for the sake of it. This thread shows it perfectly. I proved my point, you keep arguing against it and against others' despite yours being proven wrong already.

Sorry for hijacking the thread and good luck with the project.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13