MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyChat, a minimal and powerful AJAX chat for MyBB 1.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Then change the interval. Or don't use this plugin. What's wrong with you?
OMG, clearly you don't read the threads before you reply. The concept of this is to improve/remove the interval. He started creating this because of pirata's shoutbox interval. He wants to virtually have a "live" shoutbox. This is the reason he's developing it for christ sake. Get with the program brad before you start replying. Seriously.
It's getting a bit heated here.

I thought the point of the shoutbox as developed by Shade was to prevent a full refresh of the shoutbox contents when adding or removing a shout and to make the shoutbox itself look a lot nicer.

A short interval is a nice to have, but I did not think that was the primary reason for creating the shoutbox.
@Frank.Barry: that's not what I'm trying to achieve. The interval is necessary, I've set it to 1 second in the demo just to test it. But it works either with 5, 10 or whatever you want. Just to be clear. Leefish and the others got it, I hope you got it too now.
(2013-01-18, 04:19 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Yes exactly, that "specific" group of people are mybb users that use shared hosting, dedicated hosting etc.... You would want to be nuts to jeopardise your hosting account by using a shoutbox with an interval of 1 second. Its fine if you have 10 users, but what about the forums that have hundreds of users online at the same time, lunacy.

Then they shouldn't use shoutbox or get better hosting. We changed hosting because of Pirata Nervo's shoutbox which was causing problems together with another heavy plugin.

I don't get why so much hate aout this plugin from your side. Yes, there are 2 other plugins but 1 costs 10$ and another is quite buggy + probably won't continue being developed.

Not saying that I wouldn't like to see lighter shoutbox for MyBB but criticising someone's work at the beginning of project is not a way to get it.
So here it is, the demo site has been upgraded to the second alpha version of the plugin which now can handle multiple shoutboxes at once with the same javascript and PHP files.

iDLChat has been upgraded to alpha 0.2 with the possibility to manage multiple shoutboxes directly within a dedicated section in the ACP. Multiple shoutboxes inherits the default settings at the moment, but a per-shoutbox settings system is planned and it's currently in development stages. Every shoutbox is independent from each other, so you can create for example a chat for all your users into your Homepage, and one into your Staff-restricted Forum. Have fun testing it in the demo site.
(2013-01-18, 05:29 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 04:19 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Yes exactly, that "specific" group of people are mybb users that use shared hosting, dedicated hosting etc.... You would want to be nuts to jeopardise your hosting account by using a shoutbox with an interval of 1 second. Its fine if you have 10 users, but what about the forums that have hundreds of users online at the same time, lunacy.

Then they shouldn't use shoutbox or get better hosting. We changed hosting because of Pirata Nervo's shoutbox which was causing problems together with another heavy plugin.

I don't get why so much hate aout this plugin from your side. Yes, there are 2 other plugins but 1 costs 10$ and another is quite buggy + probably won't continue being developed.

Not saying that I wouldn't like to see lighter shoutbox for MyBB but criticising someone's work at the beginning of project is not a way to get it.

I don't have any hate towards it nor am I criticising it. I'm pointing out a simple "Fact". I'm different from you, I'm not just going to talk nice "just to get it" as you put it. Personally I don't want "anybody's" work if it's going to pound my server, period.

That's the problem around here, people just say "oh its lovely, oh its brilliant" etc..... just to get their hands on it and totally ignore the implications of it. And I for one am not going to praise anyone just to get the plugin quicker, I give my honest opinion. Everything else is fine BTW, its just the interval thing that's the issue here.

Anyway good luck with it.
(2013-01-18, 06:32 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]That's the problem around here, people just say "oh its lovely, oh its brilliant" etc..... just to get their hands on it and totally ignore the implications of it. And I for one am not going to praise anyone just to get the plugin quicker, I give my honest opinion. Everything else is fine BTW, its just the interval thing that's the issue here.

Anyway good luck with it.

Frank, I do object to that statement.

Personally, I loathe shoutboxes and would never have one on my board. That does not stop me appreciating the work that has gone into this one.
(2013-01-18, 06:32 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]That's the problem around here, people just say "oh its lovely, oh its brilliant" etc..... just to get their hands on it and totally ignore the implications of it.

That's not the case here at all, and it's demonstrably not the case with me in general. The problem is that you're expressing a completely uninformed opinion in an incredibly vitriolic way. There's no place for it here.
I appreciate the work too, I really do. I'm just pointing out something that needs to be addressed. I'm just not beating around the bush by saying it's the most amazing shoutbox I've ever seen. I'm just being honest that's all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13