MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: View Unread Posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Disable imei Page Optimizer! and try to reinstall my plugin.
There is a conflict between these two plugins (I think is because imei optimizer is old plugin, non-compatible with stable MyBB).

BTW. If you don't want disable optimizer, you can fix it by make these steps:
- disable optimizer
- reinstall my plugin
- enable optimizer

should work.
(2011-12-05, 07:47 PM)lukasamd Wrote: [ -> ]Disable imei Page Optimizer! and try to reinstall my plugin.
There is a conflict between these two plugins (I think is because imei optimizer is old plugin, non-compatible with stable MyBB).

BTW. If you don't want disable optimizer, you can fix it by make these steps:
- disable optimizer
- reinstall my plugin
- enable optimizer

should work.
it works now.
Thank You
Hi Lukas

I was just about to update my board from Unread Posts 1.8 to version 2.2 but I saw that you changed a MyBB core file in the 2.2 version (functions_indicators.php). Is this really necessary, and what is this change for?
I normally don't touch the core files because that makes updating MyBB very troublesome if it depends on an addon author to also update his files.
Did you only modify the part that says "// START - Unread posts MOD" until "// END - Unread posts MOD"?

Thanks
atnun
Hello,
yes, it is necessary. MyBB developers can't fix lightbulb problem for version 1.2 and it's still working bad. In addition, MyBB marks threads read on inappropriate situation. For example:
We have a thread with 50 unread posts and 5 pages (10 posts per page) - "we know" only posts on first page. If we open first page, MyBB without my mod mark thread read. It's a undesirable behavior, because we really don't know the rest of the posts.

By adding this file to mod, this problem is fixed, and there is now one query to DB less (thread is mark read only if is necessary). Changes in this file also allow the correct calculation of the number of unread topics.
Hi Lukas, i installed v2.2 and no link has appeared in my header?
Paste list of plugins that you use.
Awaiting Activation Message (1.6)
Active Users (1.0.1)
Admin CP Honeypot (1.0)
Contact Form (3.1)
Default Avatar (1.0)
Donation Page (2.1)
FBConnect (1.6.0)
FBCore (0.0.2)	 
Forum Icons (2.1)	 
Fit on Page (2.3)	 
Fun Post Stat (1.0) 
Google Analytics (1.5)
Goodbye Spammer (1.0)
Google SEO (1.1.13)
Highlight Sticky Threads (1.0)
Its My Birthday! (2.2)
The Minimum Posts Suite (1.2)
Miss You Email (1.0.0)
Monthly Stats (1.0a)
My Ad Manager (1.1.5)
MyAnnouncements LITE
MyDownloads (1.8)
MyShowcase System (2.2.2)
MySupport (0.4.1)
NewPoints (1.9.3)
Show the users that has been online today (2.0)
Page Manager (1.5.2)
PHP and Template Conditionals (1.9)
PM Spy (1.0)
Poll on Index (0.3)
PostAd (1.2.1)
Profile Ban (2.1)
Profile Views (1.2)
Registration Security Question (1.2)
Require Thread Prefixes (1.1)
Search Log (1.0)
MyBB Shops (1.0.0)
Sidebox (1.2.0)
Spoiler MyCode (1.1)
Staff Applications (1.2)
Disable Special Characters in Usernames (1.1)
Table Generator (1.0)
Tagging Plugin! (1.3.3)
Thank You/Like System (1.5)
Tinypic Uploader (1.0)
Thread Link (1.2)
View Unread Posts (2.2)
VBNavBar Plugin (1.0)

Thanks. I've got your plugin v1.8 there, but it isn't installed (Says "Install & Activate")
(2011-12-06, 10:29 PM)lukasamd Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,
yes, it is necessary. MyBB developers can't fix lightbulb problem for version 1.2 and it's still working bad. In addition, MyBB marks threads read on inappropriate situation. For example:
We have a thread with 50 unread posts and 5 pages (10 posts per page) - "we know" only posts on first page. If we open first page, MyBB without my mod mark thread read. It's a undesirable behavior, because we really don't know the rest of the posts.

By adding this file to mod, this problem is fixed, and there is now one query to DB less (thread is mark read only if is necessary). Changes in this file also allow the correct calculation of the number of unread topics.

but unless you track every page ID in the URI and consider the PPP setting and make sure all possible pages in the thread have been read, this is the best solution. the assumption (and correctly so in my opinion) by MyBB is that when you enter a thread, you are there to read it all.

properly tracking unread posts and unread threads is a significant performance degradation.
@pavemen:
No, unfortunately, you are wrong Smile
My plugin don't tracinkg unread posts / threads. It uses MyBB mechanism, that tracks only read posts / threads, so it's very fast and doesn't collect unnecessary data. Problem is that the MyBB mark threads read in wrong way - always (is a performance degradation), so we can't read only part of thread.

@Andre R.:
Sorry, but I can't test all plugins.
Delete old version files and try to activate/dectivate other plugins.
so tracking the 1 million posts I have already read is more efficient than tracking the 1 millions posts a new user has not read?

The forum/thread cutoff days setting is there for a reason. So for large boards its going to be an impact.