MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Yii framework
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
(if this is the wrong location please move)

Read here a while back that myBB (may, might, will) move to yii.
Is this still the situation or has things moved on in another direction?
I believe it's still planned that we shall use Yii, though we're waiting for Yii 2.0.
At this point it's still planned to use Yii but there's internal discussions regarding the choice of framework. Can't say much more about that at this time.
I'm rooting for Code Igniter. After comparing I think it's the closest to current MyBB. It doesn't feel as alien to me. I've really probably spent way too much time on frameworks I'll never use but I wanted to see what was intuitive for me. Yii was not and I had to go through vast tutorials. Same for a lot of them. With CI I felt I was in a familiar place. A comfort zone where things were modular and made sense.

One of my biggest pet peeves about most frameworks is the overly drawn out file structure with classes extended classes forever. Thousands of files calling each other. Just makes no sense to me that this is suppose to be efficient.

Compare:

CI = 390 files about 4mb
Yii = 1800 files about 20mb

Here is the garbage in Yii I'm talking about:

<?php
/**
 * CException class file.
 * @author Qiang Xue <[email protected]>
 * @link http://www.yiiframework.com/
 * @copyright Copyright &copy; 2008-2011 Yii Software LLC
 * @license http://www.yiiframework.com/license/
 */

/**
 * CException represents a generic exception for all purposes.
 * @author Qiang Xue <[email protected]>
 * @version $Id: CException.php 2799 2011-01-01 19:31:13Z qiang.xue $
 * @package system.base
 * @since 1.0
 */
class CException extends Exception
{
}

That's an actual file which IMHO serves no legit purpose.

Yii is the MVC taken to the extreme. It's like someone did all that work just to say they did it. Sort of like wanting to make a tableless MyBB theme. It's possible to do it but is the end result any better than one with tables?

Honestly glad to hear options are still on the table. Given also that Yii 2.0 isn't out yet but I expect it will be coded more or less the same.
After speaking to Qiang I believe Yii is being written with a bit more design behind it. Bear in mind Yii only loads what you need, so out of that 20mb it may only load 3. At the moment we're discussing Yii and Symfony.

Personally I don't like CI.

It does entirely depend on how the app is written though. My 2.0 draft feels a very natural step between 1.x and 2.x for example.
Well you're the Dev. Just hope end results are not confusing to the rest of us.
have you heard what the Yii 2.0 timeline is? From the looks of their forum, they are still in the general design and feature planning phase.

Will it be stable and tested enough by the time you need to start coding MyBB 2.0 to make a reasonable release date?
@pavemen: I'm expecting 1.8 to have a fairly long lifespan if I'm being honest - at least as long as the 1.6 one. 2.0 is still several years off so hopefully Yii 2.0 should be ready in plenty of time.

@labrocca: I too hate frameworks like that. Some even provide profiling tools that let you see all the files being loaded. I remember creating a simple application with one only to see 70 files were being loaded to display a single page. That is overkill on a major level.
Quote:have you heard what the Yii 2.0 timeline is? From the looks of their forum, they are still in the general design and feature planning phase.

I hope it takes 5 years. Smile

If you look at Code Igniter it's nearly the same type of structure as MyBB already. Even the plugin system is similar. CI may not be using the latest MVC standards or every bell and whistle from php but I also wonder how much performance benefit there is from that. Heck it might even be a performance loss. No matter how optimized Yii will be it's still a huge framework.

Me scared of 2.0.
(2012-05-01, 06:28 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:have you heard what the Yii 2.0 timeline is? From the looks of their forum, they are still in the general design and feature planning phase.

I hope it takes 5 years. Smile

If you look at Code Igniter it's nearly the same type of structure as MyBB already. Even the plugin system is similar. CI may not be using the latest MVC standards or every bell and whistle from php but I also wonder how much performance benefit there is from that. Heck it might even be a performance loss. No matter how optimized Yii will be it's still a huge framework.

Me scared of 2.0.

* pavemen is kind of feeling the same way.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23