MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyAlerts - a notification/alert system for MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
(2012-07-20, 04:10 AM)Sector Wrote: [ -> ]How about making this a 1.8 default feature? the timing would be perfect.

It won't be happening. 1.8 is pretty much feature locked now.
Plus this works better as a plugin anyway. Not everybody would want such a feature for every site.
It's working nicely so far!

Just a question: you added Alerts.css in Master Style (and correctly so, thus it applies to all themes), but if we want to preserve inheritance by having this common stylesheet, we will have to edit MyBB Master Style and that can only be done by altering "functions_themes.php", so it raises another question:

Wouldn't it be useful to have an editable masterglobal.css where we could add CSS common to all themes without touching either MyBB Master Style or any of our themes?

I should make this a suggestion.

Correction... The dropdown list is not working for me. When I click, it goes directly to the page showing all alerts. Undecided
(2012-07-21, 04:49 AM)Sector Wrote: [ -> ]It's working nicely so far!

Just a question: you added Alerts.css in Master Style (and correctly so, thus it applies to all themes), but if we want to preserve inheritance by having this common stylesheet, we will have to edit MyBB Master Style and that can only be done by altering "functions_themes.php", so it raises another question:

Wouldn't it be useful to have an editable masterglobal.css where we could add CSS common to all themes without touching either MyBB Master Style or any of our themes?

I should make this a suggestion.

Correction... The dropdown list is not working for me. When I click, it goes directly to the page showing all alerts. Undecided

I'll see what I can do regarding the style. As for the dropdown, it should work fine if other dropdowns on the site do. It uses MyBB's internal dropdown function...

I've also received an idea from Tierney that I'd like some feedback on as I'm not sure whether to implement it or not...

Quote:A feature that could be neat to have is notifications on a per-forum basis. This means that a forum ID could be passed to the getNumAlerts() (and, similarly, getNumUnreadAlerts()) function and it would return the number of alerts contained within that forum.

One possible use of this feature is to insert a div in the thead of a category or next to a listed forum's name that shows the amount of notifications in that forum.
^ It could be a cool feature, but I honestly don't know.

(2012-07-21, 08:26 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-21, 04:49 AM)Sector Wrote: [ -> ]Correction... The dropdown list is not working for me. When I click, it goes directly to the page showing all alerts. Undecided

As for the dropdown, it should work fine if other dropdowns on the site do. It uses MyBB's internal dropdown function...

For example, when I click the blue CSS (0) "ball", that box reading "No alerts to display" doesn't appear like in your site, well, it doesn't appear at all, rather links directly to /misc.php?action=myalerts

(2012-07-21, 08:26 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I'll see what I can do regarding the style.

Ah, before I forget: when uninstalling, it leaves "Alerts.css" behind — that stylesheet was so persistent that I had to reload themes and themestylesheets from my database backup. Wink

PS: I did set the AJAX feature to 60 seconds, but nothing happened. (Maybe the Ajax PM Notification plugin is interefering? that one is working ok, when we get a new PM a floating box appears).
You may want to take a look at this
http://mybb.euantor.com/thread-21-post-512.html#pid512
(2012-07-21, 09:22 AM)Sector Wrote: [ -> ]^ It could be a cool feature, but I honestly don't know.

(2012-07-21, 08:26 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-07-21, 04:49 AM)Sector Wrote: [ -> ]Correction... The dropdown list is not working for me. When I click, it goes directly to the page showing all alerts. Undecided

As for the dropdown, it should work fine if other dropdowns on the site do. It uses MyBB's internal dropdown function...

For example, when I click the blue CSS (0) "ball", that box reading "No alerts to display" doesn't appear like in your site, well, it doesn't appear at all, rather links directly to /misc.php?action=myalerts

(2012-07-21, 08:26 AM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I'll see what I can do regarding the style.

Ah, before I forget: when uninstalling, it leaves "Alerts.css" behind — that stylesheet was so persistent that I had to reload themes and themestylesheets from my database backup. Wink

PS: I did set the AJAX feature to 60 seconds, but nothing happened. (Maybe the Ajax PM Notification plugin is interefering? that one is working ok, when we get a new PM a floating box appears).

Odd. Is it on a live board at all or not? People have been asking me to use a jQuery powered dropdown rather than the core MyBB ones anyway so maybe I'll go ahead with that and hopefully solve the issue.

(2012-07-21, 09:24 AM)ProVirus Wrote: [ -> ]You may want to take a look at this
http://mybb.euantor.com/thread-21-post-512.html#pid512

Ah yes, I didn't think about that. Thanks for the report Smile
I have a suggestion :

The possibility in the admincp of enable or disable the notification for some usergroup, it's possible ?
(2012-07-22, 07:17 PM)floid Wrote: [ -> ]I have a suggestion :

The possibility in the admincp of enable or disable the notification for some usergroup, it's possible ?

+1
(2012-07-22, 07:17 PM)floid Wrote: [ -> ]I have a suggestion :

Yeah, many plugins should have a setting field where you determine the groups allowed to use it — a box with 1,3,4,8,12,17,18,etc (or the opposite: disallowed groups). But this will depend on the function of the plugin of course, yes, many miss that.

In this case, a global allowing or disallowing of notifications for certain groups (it's not good to bloat the database notifying banned or lurker users). Good idea, +1
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41