MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The MyBB Humanization Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
When do you think your done with the core settings for release?
Eh? I'm not releasing anything.
What would be awesome is if you taught us noobs how to do that lol. It's very nice though, good work!
Hmm, but I thought the point of this project was to show why Brad made some of the decisions he did in the design of harajuju, and how he implemented those ideas. Most of it is css, html and hard work. Any "noob" can learn the css and html. The hard bit is to look at the MyBB software and see what you can do to make something unique. Installing a harajuju theme (assuming there was one available) would not help you make something unique.
(2012-09-05, 06:28 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, but I thought the point of this project was to show why Brad made some of the decisions he did in the design of harajuju, and how he implemented those ideas. Most of it is css, html and hard work. Any "noob" can learn the css and html. The hard bit is to look at the MyBB software and see what you can do to make something unique. Installing a harajuju theme (assuming there was one available) would not help you make something unique.

This exactly. Brad has provided a great source of inspiration but IMO it's up to users to take his points in mind and create their own unique themes.
Precisely. That said, if you read my post history on MyBBHacks, you can find out how I did a lot of things.
oooh to bad cause i really like everything Smile nice designs!
I think that's a bit sad. I mean, I'm happy you like it, but you've essentially said "since I have to do some work myself to achieve a similar result, I won't bother with it." This is for serious admins only.
With "serious admins" you mean a small elite. MyBB is very functional but lacks many stuff people won't bother to programme by themselves because 90% of people just want things prêt-à-porter. Most of us don't become bakers everytime we want to eat a cake, specially if other bakers are unwilling to teach. It's not that we can't learn, as I often bake my cakes to save some money. I understand those may be afraid of sharing their knowledge lest they lose their way of earning money, but it's more than that: there's some great degree of arrogance among software developers, they put a ledge between themselves and us mere mortals, often bullying "laymen". And to be honest, Brad-t, you are no exception to this as you often hop on and off between both sides of the fence programmers create. It's not an offence, just a fact. I hope you don't take it wrong.
Then hire a designer to do it for you. Similar to how you'd buy a cake if you didn't know how to make one and really wanted it.

This isn't exactly the kind of thing that gets "released". It's just UX insight on how forum software should be, and also a message to theme designers I think. Even if something was released, it'd be a framework sort of thing, i.e. not something you should use on a live site. You'd still have to customize it yourself or hire someone to do it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32